Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
It's a cute anecdote, but it's hard to compare a business serving millions of customers and decisions made for a couple's (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime wedding reception.

Folks are quick to sneer about what a boneheaded decision this is, but I have no doubt the cost-to-benefit ratio is in UA's favor. There's clearly a vocal segment that cares deeply about the brands of complimentary alcohol available, but I think it's safe to say that segment is vastly overrepresented on FT.
I disagree. My wild guess is that this will save United about $10M to $15M a year. Maybe a little more because the they will be serving fewer free drinks overall. Compare that to overall revenues and it just doesn't seem worth it to me for such a high profile change. That being said...I am sure this will help the person responsible for the P&L of the United Club (and person who likely made this decision) hit their EBITDA target and resulting bonus for 2013.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I have signed up for Vino Volo's loyalty/rewards program :-:

Can't wait to try them out.
I got to IAD early for a flight recently that was leaving from C12, went right to Vino Volo, didn't even contemplate going into the club.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
2) Going beyond cost recovery and trying to turn this into more ancillary revenue - the markups on these prices are crazy.
That's one thing that absolutely kills me; the markups are higher than many airport bars and restaurants () and are often for smaller pours than at those already-pricey places.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just for comparison's sake, this is the premium spirits and wines menu at the AA Admiral's Club:

This menu is a couple months old, but relatively unchanged apart from switching out the wines every few months. Notice the wine prices are reasonable, but do go as high as $14 there too. Liquor is on a tiered basis and is just as expensive as what UA is subjecting its members to now.

Only difference is AA still gives out chits for premium drinks, which is a huge benefit.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by denCSA
Only difference is AA still gives out chits for premium drinks, which is a huge benefit.
And if post-merger United went this route, I would be happy. PMUA gave us two drink chits, which I would gladly trade in for a decent beer while waiting for my flights.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver
There's clearly a vocal segment that cares deeply about the brands of complimentary alcohol available, but I think it's safe to say that segment is vastly overrepresented on FT.
What, if any, data do you have to support your contention that this vocal segment is "vastly overrepresented on FT"?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive
I am making sure to voice my displeasure for every flight survey I get sent. Maybe nobody reads it, but oh well.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Hill713
I am making sure to voice my displeasure for every flight survey I get sent. Maybe nobody reads it, but oh well.
^ Good idea. I have had a month off of traveling, and have not yet witnessed this fiasco first-hand, but starting back up next week, will include in my surveys!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by denCSA
They do chits, but also food is available at the ACs. If I'm stopping in for lunch, I wouldn't mind as much paying a slight up-charge for a reasonably-ok meal experience in the club. (Oddly, ACs have given chits to me as a visiting AmEx Plat holder, but don't give them to their own paid members... go figure.) The food isn't terrible either... not as good as what you can get elsewhere in most airports, but decent eats combined with good free drinks (from the chits) make their in-club upsell a little easier to swallow than UA's attempt.

Point being, this is another instance of the UA me-too mentality when it comes to un-bundling. We're going to grab all of the customer-unfriendly stuff our competitors are doing to save costs, but we're not going to copy any of the customer-friendly stuff that goes along with them to try and make the change more palatable...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Went to an AC last night for the first time before my LAX - JFK flight on AA and I was impressed with both the actual menu both for food and drinks. More importantly when I went up and initially requested a wine off the menu that cost money the bartender pointed out that the house wine was pretty similar and that I should give that a try and save my money.

Not that UC bartenders wouldn't do that but again it comes down to mentality and being customer-friendly. The AA bartender saw no need to nickel-and-dime me and instead directed me to the free product.

That and even with QF16 going out at the same time as AA30 (my flight) and a few others the lounge wasn't too crowded certainly not as crowded as the UC LAX T7 lounge gets.

And yes I know at some point the grass won't be greener on the other side but so far I have been impressed. I'm back on UA next week for a trip that was already planned before I switched so it will be interesting to compare (and compare the UC)
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by geo979
What, if any, data do you have to support your contention that this vocal segment is "vastly overrepresented on FT"?
Simply put, UA has the means to test a change like this before implementing it. I don't deny there's a bean counting aspect, but with a global firm the size of UA, there are beans that need counting. The cost-benefit ratio of continuing to offer complimentary alcohol but lowering the quality level must have been overwhelming. QED.

Plus, while anecdotal, there's the fact that this is the most vocal, complaining bunch I've ever encountered.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Plus, while anecdotal, there's the fact that this is the most vocal, complaining bunch I've ever encountered.
FWIW, we're no longer members but have been in a couple of clubs recently where we've heard this being discussed quite openly by the patrons.

Most recently we were in the new SEA club the day before yesterday for only a few minutes and happened to find a seat in the bar area. It was quite a topic of conversation with one patron asking the bartender if this was the situation at other clubs.

Again, this is strictly anecdotal and of course that conversation may well die down as members gradually accept (or not) the new policies.

Last edited by Fredd; Sep 25, 2013 at 4:59 pm Reason: fixing days - having crossed the dateline!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Simply put, UA has the means to test a change like this before implementing it. I don't deny there's a bean counting aspect, but with a global firm the size of UA, there are beans that need counting. The cost-benefit ratio of continuing to offer complimentary alcohol but lowering the quality level must have been overwhelming. QED.

Speaking of beans....

Before you give UA too much credit for being able to accurately test changes like this, you may want to read up a bit on the great Fresh Brew (Fresh Poo) coffee fiasco.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-1309845.html
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
A minor victory, of sorts.
In addition to the swill called "budlite" they have a slightly less unpalatable potion called "Miller Genuine Draft" -- in bottles.
Beeradvocate gives Bud Light a 47/47
Beeradvocate gives Miller Genuine Draft a 55/53
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It's funny that a bottled beer is labelled "Genuine" draft when it clearly is nt a draft beer at all.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
a 12-pack of Miller Lite.
Beeradvocate gives Miller Lite a 53/59

There is a difference at the bottom end. Bud Light is the ultimate beer for people who don't like beer. If McDonald's served beer, this would be the one.

The "Draft" in MGD is a marketing term but in its favor it is cold-filtered and not heat pasteurized which is helpful in having it actually have *some* flavor.

Miller Lite and MGD would be barely acceptable to me as bottom-tier free beers at United Clubs, though I'd prefer something from Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada. I guess those are destined to be regional/premium.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
HAHAHHAHAHAHA. Seriously?

These are the same folks who have made such fundamental blunders as FreshPoo coffee, the attempt to shave a few RDM from every itinerary (remember the "miscalculation" that magically moved almost every airport pair closer together?), and, of course, the countless things they've done to drive away HVFs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.