Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Billiken
Probably like CLE with the Great Lakes Dortmunder....available until the keg(s) run dry.
Great Lakes is not free at CLE. It is $3. And, it was not available before the enhancements. They only had Sam and a Lite beer (don't remember which as I don't drink it).
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Yanks08802
Question: for those of us who are increasingly frustrated with UA in general...does this "enhancement" (and the blatant arrogance of calling it such) provide a final nudge to another airline?
No, but certainly a deterrent to contributing to the Club revenue. The relationship most at risk is the UC credit card relationship with Chase. I've come to expect these enhancements from UA so while the enhancements still drive me nuts, I have a terminal case of Stockholm Syndrome so I still find myself on United planes. Since the Club changes, I've found myself trying to arrive at the airport later and later. If that is the effect of the Club downgrades, it probably isn't worth it.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Question: for those of us who are increasingly frustrated with UA in general...does this "enhancement" (and the blatant arrogance of calling it such) provide a final nudge to another airline?
Not even close. As another poster pointed out, it's perfectly common for well drinks and house beer/wine at an open bar to be bottom-shelf stuff. This is a tempest in a (10 oz.) beer glass.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
No, but it does mean I won't renew my club membership. Many more options at the airport then there used to be so no need to be held captive at the club.

But definitely not making me fly another airline.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
No, but it does mean I won't renew my club membership. Many more options at the airport then there used to be so no need to be held captive at the club.

But definitely not making me fly another airline.
Same here, my membership expires at the end of October and will not be renewed. I am glad that I waited to renew it.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive
I sent an email 2 weeks ago, got the normal canned response....

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Platinum members like you. I'm sorry that it is because of your disappointment with the changes to the United Club lounges.

Blah, blah, blah...

Reading through this thread it doesn't appear that anyone has gotten anything more than that back from UA. Assuming UA sticks with this policy, no way am I renewing. I actually pay out of pocket for the membership. I will just go to the bar and expense my meals going forward.

Basically the only thing drinkable at the UC is a bloody mary because it kills the taste of the rock gut vodka they are serving. Now it is 9 bucks to have them top off your coffee with some Baileys.

If UA was at least honest to its customers about the changes it would be one thing, but PROMOTING this change under the guise of a new Premium Beverage Service is simply a slap in the face to anyone with a triple digit IQ.

I am gonna chop up my Presidential Platinum Card and switch over to a Hotel rewards card.

If UA wanted to add value to their members, and add new revenues, serve real food at a cost. I'd buy something nearly every time I was in there if it was an option.

At the rate they are going, I am waiting for them to start charging to use the stalls in the bathroom. Urinals are free, but the stalls will fall under their new Premium Bathroom Service.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by Hill713
I sent an email 2 weeks ago, got the normal canned response....

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Platinum members like you. I'm sorry that it is because of your disappointment with the changes to the United Club lounges.

Blah, blah, blah...

Reading through this thread it doesn't appear that anyone has gotten anything more than that back from UA. Assuming UA sticks with this policy, no way am I renewing. I actually pay out of pocket for the membership. I will just go to the bar and expense my meals going forward.

Basically the only thing drinkable at the UC is a bloody mary because it kills the taste of the rock gut vodka they are serving. Now it is 9 bucks to have them top off your coffee with some Baileys.

If UA was at least honest to its customers about the changes it would be one thing, but PROMOTING this change under the guise of a new Premium Beverage Service is simply a slap in the face to anyone with a triple digit IQ.

I am gonna chop up my Presidential Platinum Card and switch over to a Hotel rewards card.

If UA wanted to add value to their members, and add new revenues, serve real food at a cost. I'd buy something nearly every time I was in there if it was an option.

At the rate they are going, I am waiting for them to start charging to use the stalls in the bathroom. Urinals are free, but the stalls will fall under their new Premium Bathroom Service.

Again....another change you will like.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Basically the only thing drinkable at the UC is a bloody mary because it kills the taste of the rock gut vodka they are serving.
I believe that UC's are pouring 'rotgut' liquors now, as the 'rock gut' ones cost more.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Not even close. As another poster pointed out, it's perfectly common for well drinks and house beer/wine at an open bar to be bottom-shelf stuff. This is a tempest in a (10 oz.) beer glass.
The purchase prices for "Premium" are way out of line also, even for "airport prices". And we pay a membership fee to be there.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold

I'm guessing you won't be the only one. This is the cut that probably hurts UA the most.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Those are the two things which bug the most:

1) Spinning this as an "enhancement" that customers asked for - quit treating customers like we are stupid.

2) Going beyond cost recovery and trying to turn this into more ancillary revenue - the markups on these prices are crazy.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I sent emails to each of the addresses in wiki and got responses from all of them. I replied to those responses specifically asking what I was actually getting as part of my membership. The last agent me a list of all the free services and benefits of the club membership. I responded with details about why these really weren't worthwhile benefits (correspondence below). I don't think these front-line agents can handle the criticisms but hopefully our comments are being passed on and reach the right ears. It doesn't seem like they are responding any longer. We can only now speak with our wallets.

Code:
Hello dogloverjb, 

Thank you so much for your honesty.  I respect your concerns and will also share your feedback below. 

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your travel with us.    

Regards, 

UAPersonxxxxx 
United Club 

We appreciate your interest in United Club.  We look forward to serving your lounge needs in the future.  For United Club information, please visit www.united.com/unitedclub.   

Original Message Follows: ------------------------ 
Thank you for your response UApersonxxxxx.     

•         The complimentary bar service is not drinkable – the brands are akin to the rot gut stuff we drank in college and I don’t want to go back there.  So your complimentary drinks are worthless to me  (and an embarrassment to United).  Especially for those poor people who are paying for business and first class.     

•         The light snacks are really not of any interest after 10 years of visiting UA Clubs and seeing the same items every time.  But at least they are edible.    

•         Most of the other items are good for business people who need those services, but as a leisure traveler I don’t.  In fact, I never needed them as a business traveler myself.     

•         The premium wines you offer are a nice selection but the price is certainly not attractive.  My usual drink, the Rombauer chardonnay used to be $10 and is now $14.  I just saw a bottle in the wine shop for $30.  I can’t figure how you can justify a 40% price increase and tell me I am valued as a customer.  I can get a good glass of wine in a bar in the terminal for less.      

•         Local dining info isn’t of interest in a locale I am transiting through.    

•         The agent assist I will certainly miss, but I would still have access to it for international trips.   

•         Free internet is nice but many airports have this and certainly have paid Wifi available, which over the course of a year, would cost me considerable less.     

The bottom line for me, and probably many others, is that membership in the UA Club is now a big loss.  With a decent complimentary beverage service, and a reasonably and competitively priced top shelf liquor/wine list, I could justify it for the comfort of the Club, snacks and a nice drink.  Now, I conclude that I can get most of the same benefits elsewhere for those few times I don’t have access to Star Alliance lounge.  So unfortunately there is no reason for me to renew my membership.   

The saddest part is none of the recent UA changes are positive and none make me feel that UA cares about me, a 1K flyer, or any of its other customers.     

Thank you for your time.   
dogloverjb
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21

2) Going beyond cost recovery and trying to turn this into more ancillary revenue - the markups on these prices are crazy.
Looks like UA's management is hooked on this like a bad drug. $27 billion in ancillary revenue and guess who is leading the pack by almost 2x the next airline.

Honestly, if anything makes you want to consider another airline - this report should.

http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...nue-Top-10.pdf
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
#unitedclubdowngrade
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by goodeats21

1) Spinning this as an "enhancement" that customers asked for - quit treating customers like we are stupid.
That is what goads me the most. Then to top it off, 3 weeks later UA rolls out their new “Fly the Friendly Skies” tagline. Who gets paid to make decisions like this?

And they refuse to answer any questions regarding their new "enhancements," other than to say... tough cookies. Nothing says "Friendly" like charging your customers for a service, then significantly downgrading that service and then labeling it an enhancement!

I regularly defend UA to friends and colleagues, I have had great experiences with United. This is the first time I actually wrote a letter/email to voice my displeasure (and signed up for FT). And to date, nothing but corporate mumbo jumbo in reply to any of my inquiries. Very disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.