Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 10, 13, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, DL 360, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
Originally Posted by MrColdShower View Post
Prosecco Mionetto Brut Prosecco D.O.C. Valdobliadene, IT $12
Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label, Champagne, FR $14

You get a $3 discount if you pay with your MileagePlus Club Card or Presidential Plus Card -- discount not valid on the champagne or prosecco.
aka the only thing things that are remotely reasonably priced.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
$14 for a GLASS of Kim Crawford....really??? In Canada this wine can be had at the store for about that for a BOTTLE on a good sale and we have really high taxes!!!
Agreed on Kim Crawford. $14/glass is very steep, and sadly the Sauv Blanc is going downhill each year in taste (IMO - The Unoaked Chardonnay is now the only thing I buy from them). Charging the same for a glass of this as Veuve is extremely odd, even considering a smaller Champagne glass (is Veuve in a thimble?!)

I'm all for the effort in selecting premium wines and offering them - this is actually appreciated - but the prices have to be reasonable, especially when folks have already paid something for the privilege of entering the club (either through UC members, *A Gold, full-fare C/F, etc). Compared to BA T5, this is laughable (but I know we're dealing with a very large US airline, etc, etc).

What does that funky wine bar place in EWR/IAD/etc charge for their stuff? I haven't been in for more than a year. That place is looking very attractive right now.

*Note: No alcoholics were harmed in this post.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:50 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I sent another email copying the text of the press release and asking them if they think their customers are stupid and if their PR group was able to write it with a straight face.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:53 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
I sent another email copying the text of the press release and asking them if they think their customers are stupid and if their PR group was able to write it with a straight face.
Bingo. United does think the customers are stupid. I guess enough of them keep coming back.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
So, there is no more complimentary "wine"?
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
where are folks sending emails to?.....I can't believe how ridiculous this whole spin job is......$400 a year for the privilege of paying MORE than you would elsewhere in-terminal?
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:02 pm

The PR makes it sound like you can go to any club and receive this full beverage selection when in reality they are regional offerings. My response...so what, you can get many of these offerings at every airport bar for cheaper.

This is the nail in the coffin, I'll be cancelling my Club card when the annual fee is due. The $400 cover for a sub par bar is not worth it.
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
"...a Donna Paula Malbec..."

I have a couple of bottles of Dona Paula Malbec...I guess the extra "n" is worth the money...
Not to split hairs, but it is actually Doņa Paula. A tilde puts that wine into the super-duper-extra premium category!
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by salty749 View Post
where are folks sending emails to?.....I can't believe how ridiculous this whole spin job is......$400 a year for the privilege of paying MORE than you would elsewhere in-terminal?
[email protected]

and

[email protected]
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
Thanks - will send off today
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I wonder how Chase feels about this change. I imagine they'll lose a lot of customers for the UA Club credit card after this change.
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
I wonder how Chase feels about this change. I imagine they'll lose a lot of customers for the UA Club credit card after this change.
Exactly. Chase has a lot more leverage with United than we do, so Club/PP cardholders who are disappointed with this downgrade should also be complaining to Chase.
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Sent my e-mail as well. Was tempted, as I have Martin Hand and the head of EWR's business cards, to e-mail them directly, but I'll wait to follow the chain of command.
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just wow. I'm stuck for just under three years. I had a July renewal date and did it last December just before the rates went up and the three-year rate went away. Think they'd give those us of in this situation a credit if we cancel? This is just beyond insulting. I'm actually less upset about the free swill being further downgraded than in the downgrade of the "premium choices" combined with extra-premium pricing.

Last edited by milepig; Sep 10, 13 at 12:51 pm
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Sent an email.

It's their right to make changes to the services and benefits provided with the club membership but this is a step too far. They owe all members the right to cancel their membership for a pro-rated refund who don't want to accept these changes. What they've done is ethically reprehensible (I wouldn't be saying that if they were charging fair market value or below for the drinks).

Idiots.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: