Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
$14 for a GLASS of Kim Crawford....really??? In Canada this wine can be had at the store for about that for a BOTTLE on a good sale and we have really high taxes!!! It is a decent wine but hardly premium unless of course the floor is 2 buck chuck or worse! Also the Dona Paula Estate Malbec is on sale this week for $11.99 a bottle, again in the land of crazy alcohol taxes!

What is the free wine? Home kit wine made by the lounge dragons between customers?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
...Also the Dona Paula Estate Malbec is on sale this week for $11.99 a bottle, again in the land of crazy alcohol taxes!
Yeah, but how much is a "Donna Paula" up there? Probably $23.98, if you find one.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Depends on how good the legs are

I sent UA an email telling them that their lounges are a total embarrassment compared to my local airport club, Plaza Premium, which serves craft beers, moderately drinkable wine and full hot meals!!!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by MrColdShower
Prosecco Mionetto Brut Prosecco D.O.C. Valdobliadene, IT $12
Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label, Champagne, FR $14

You get a $3 discount if you pay with your MileagePlus Club Card or Presidential Plus Card -- discount not valid on the champagne or prosecco.
aka the only thing things that are remotely reasonably priced.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
$14 for a GLASS of Kim Crawford....really??? In Canada this wine can be had at the store for about that for a BOTTLE on a good sale and we have really high taxes!!!
Agreed on Kim Crawford. $14/glass is very steep, and sadly the Sauv Blanc is going downhill each year in taste (IMO - The Unoaked Chardonnay is now the only thing I buy from them). Charging the same for a glass of this as Veuve is extremely odd, even considering a smaller Champagne glass (is Veuve in a thimble?!)

I'm all for the effort in selecting premium wines and offering them - this is actually appreciated - but the prices have to be reasonable, especially when folks have already paid something for the privilege of entering the club (either through UC members, *A Gold, full-fare C/F, etc). Compared to BA T5, this is laughable (but I know we're dealing with a very large US airline, etc, etc).

What does that funky wine bar place in EWR/IAD/etc charge for their stuff? I haven't been in for more than a year. That place is looking very attractive right now.

*Note: No alcoholics were harmed in this post.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I sent another email copying the text of the press release and asking them if they think their customers are stupid and if their PR group was able to write it with a straight face.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I sent another email copying the text of the press release and asking them if they think their customers are stupid and if their PR group was able to write it with a straight face.
Bingo. United does think the customers are stupid. I guess enough of them keep coming back.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
So, there is no more complimentary "wine"?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
where are folks sending emails to?.....I can't believe how ridiculous this whole spin job is......$400 a year for the privilege of paying MORE than you would elsewhere in-terminal?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:02 pm

The PR makes it sound like you can go to any club and receive this full beverage selection when in reality they are regional offerings. My response...so what, you can get many of these offerings at every airport bar for cheaper.

This is the nail in the coffin, I'll be cancelling my Club card when the annual fee is due. The $400 cover for a sub par bar is not worth it.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
"...a Donna Paula Malbec..."

I have a couple of bottles of Dona Paula Malbec...I guess the extra "n" is worth the money...
Not to split hairs, but it is actually Dońa Paula. A tilde puts that wine into the super-duper-extra premium category!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by salty749
where are folks sending emails to?.....I can't believe how ridiculous this whole spin job is......$400 a year for the privilege of paying MORE than you would elsewhere in-terminal?
[email protected]

and

[email protected]
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Thanks - will send off today
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I wonder how Chase feels about this change. I imagine they'll lose a lot of customers for the UA Club credit card after this change.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I wonder how Chase feels about this change. I imagine they'll lose a lot of customers for the UA Club credit card after this change.
Exactly. Chase has a lot more leverage with United than we do, so Club/PP cardholders who are disappointed with this downgrade should also be complaining to Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.