Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
I'm going to speak with my feet next March when my Pres Plus renewal is due. In addition to comp UC access, the only reason I have been keeping the card (which I switched to solely as a result of Amex Plat getting the ax by the new United) is for the PQM bonus which helps me maintain gold status. I'm sure the PQM benefit are the next ball to drop, but that's another topic.

Charging $9 for a Dewars you can buy in-flight for $7 and $11 for a glass of Mark West Pinot when an entire bottle can be had in any wine shop for around $10 is downright insulting. The premium wine program (i.e. Chateau Montelena, Stag's Leap, etc) was a great value and very fine amenity, but now that's gone too.

More than 75% of my travel is between EWR and PBI and given all the recent changes that I was supposed to 'like', I have been contemplating moving my personal travel to PBI over to Jet Blue, reinstating my Amex Platinum (whose FHR program blows aways Chase's "Luxury" hotel offering), and move my very occasional corporate travel over to Delta and/or American.

I flew in paid F down to PBI last Friday evening - the beef burrito offered for dinner was disgusting, made Chiplotle's seem like a 5 star restaurant, and is far below the quality offered on this route back in the CO days. This coupled with the now instituted UC 'enhancements' are pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.
Which Jetblue club in EWR and PBI will you frequent? Do they have better complimentary alcohol choices?

With United Clubs, you need to become accustomed to PBR, and not travel to PBI...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
Originally Posted by ddrost1
united, doing something ethically reprehensible? whod've thunk it @:-)
Even more so if you considered how much they have been pumping the Chase Mileage Plus / Club Cards and all the neat little benefits - United Club access, free drinks etc, etc. Get everyone in and then subtantially de-value the product. Nice bait and switch, Jeff.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by nycityny
My wish is that the food selections would improve.
That will not happen under the current leadership.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny
I am amused that there is a whole thread of outraged people angered by higher alcohol prices in the United Club. I don't visit the club to imbibe in spirits and judging by what I see inside most other visitors do not either. This change has no impact on most of us so I doubt it will cause the majority of folks to cancel their memberships.

My wish is that the food selections would improve. Having just returned from Europe, those foreign clubs/lounges remind me of how poorly stocked the American clubs are when it comes to food.
Imagine this: in most of the world, airline lounges have both decent booze and decent food. Indeed, the only lounges I've found to POSSIBLY be worse than a United Club (and we're now getting pretty close) are the domestic lounges of some Chinese airlines.

I guess there's nothing I can really do because I get my lounge visits comped with my 1K status and my elite status on Turkish. But, seriously, if I had to pay for what I was getting from a UA Club, I'd save the money and just sit at an airport bar when I wanted a drink and/or a snack.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Which Jetblue club in EWR and PBI will you frequent? Do they have better complimentary alcohol choices?

With United Clubs, you need to become accustomed to PBR, and not travel to PBI...
The Airspace lounge at JetBlue T5 at JFK offers complimentary access to Amex Platinum cardholders and up to two guests along with a $10 food/beverage credit provided for each visitor (so up to $30 if I'm with my wife and daughter).

http://www.airspacelounge.com/jfk/

PBI (i.e. Palm Beach International) does not currently have nor do I expect it to ever have a UC. Small airport with virtually no security lines so no need to get there early and hang out an airline club.

Have no idea what PBR is and why I should acquaint myself with it. Can you please explain? I travel to PBI from NYC frequently as I have a vacation home there.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
Have no idea what PBR is and why I should acquaint myself with it. Can you please explain? I travel to PBI from NYC frequently as I have a vacation home there.
Thank you for the lounge situation education!

PBR is Pabst Blue Ribbon... Which is the beer that will be served when UA further lowers complimentary alcoholic standards...

Hopefully you will not have to actually acquaint yourself with it...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

PBR is Pabst Blue Ribbon... Which is the beer that will be served when UA further lowers complimentary alcoholic standards...

Based on what I've seen at bars in Brooklyn and SF I suspect UA may attempt to charge a premium for PBR.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold

I see you are an optimist.

Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
Imagine this: in most of the world, airline lounges have both decent booze and decent food. Indeed, the only lounges I've found to POSSIBLY be worse than a United Club (and we're now getting pretty close) are the domestic lounges of some Chinese airlines.

I guess there's nothing I can really do because I get my lounge visits comped with my 1K status and my elite status on Turkish. But, seriously, if I had to pay for what I was getting from a UA Club, I'd save the money and just sit at an airport bar when I wanted a drink and/or a snack.
+1. The UA clubs are so depressing when compared to others.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I got another response asking me to be patient while the Management team reviews my email.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I got this as a response (sent to the unitedclub email not 1Kvoice). I'd place it along with others that have been received in the canned and useless category. What a joke. The guy at AAdvantage though seemed quite interested in having me match over to EXP so we'll see if that leads anywhere. Can't do anything if you don't speak with your wallet.

Hello Mr. FlyerDude88

Thank you for contacting the United Club Service Center.

Our primary goal at the United Club is to offer you the highest quality of service. We continually work toward that purpose and it is through the constructive comments from our most important customers that we are able to provide the comforts and conveniences that you prefer. The feedback you have provided in your correspondence will be forwarded to the appropriate department for consideration.

Your continued support of the United Club Program and United Airlines is very important to us and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Regards,

XXXXXX XXXXXXX
United Club
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
12 fl. oz. is being optimistic.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:35 pm

Ahhh...good old Blue Ribbon...haven't had one of those in years! Guess I should sit back for now and be thankful while I enjoy my frothy, complimentary (for now) Bud Light as I ponder my exit plan. Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
Ditto for me.......

Dear salty749:

Thank you for contacting the United Club Service Center.
Our primary goal at the United Club is to offer you the highest quality of service. We continually work toward that purpose and it is through the constructive comments from our most important customers that we are able to provide the comforts and conveniences that you prefer. The feedback you have provided in your correspondence will be forwarded to the appropriate department for consideration.
Your continued support of the United Club Program and United Airlines is very important to us and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Regards,

United Club
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA scumbag. Global Entry. Piggly Wiggly loyalty card.
Saint Arnold's is in the UC at IAH!

http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2013/09...ercontinental/

However, I suspect that it will not be comped, and they will probably charge $10 a pint for it. Still, good news. Saint Arnold beer is one of the great things about H-town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.