Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
UA Insider's continued silence on this thread despite recent activity on other threads is quite noticeable
What would you have them say? "Oh yeah sorry you didn't like the latest way we've found to screw you over enhance our products" ?
Anything they would be allowed to say on the topic would just be PR speak, which since we would all know its a steaming pile of processed bull feed would probably just piss people off more. Unless they are going to come to the thread, fall on their sword apologizing and promising to quickly roll back this nonsense I'd suggest silence is probably the best option. (for UA not the customers)
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:11 am

Unfortunately I agree with ryan182. Nothing United can say at this point can mask what just happened. They are probably hoping the majority of the club patrons fail to realize the damage that has been done.

Make sure you point out the massive downgrade to any friends you have that might listen and care. United is going to continue doing stuff like this until it hits them in the pocketbook.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I wish United would change the name "United Club" because it really isn't one. It's an airline lounge.

A club usually has a member-elected board that manages the club for the members' benefit. This is obviously not the case here.

At a minimum, paying Club members should get a 50% discount on drinks. Guests entering otherwise can pay regular prices. And credit card pass holders, an additional "drink convenience fee".
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA G
Wow, this is easily 50% more expensive than the restaurant and bars at SFO. No longer surprised when friends say "who pays would pay for [the club|UA F]?"
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
FURIOUS

Of all the downgrades that UA has made, this one incenses me the most. Do they think we are street bums? People that typically can afford a UC membership do not drink crap booze. IT IS INSULTING. Obviously their plan is to drive us away from the foul free stuff into the $$$ options.

AND change the name of this thread to "downgrades" - there is no improvement (except perhaps the UA bottom line).

Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
$9 for a Bacardi? That is a just wrong. What I think would be worst is the people that will actually pay this high prices.

I will certainly be spending most of my time on the bars with decent food and beer now.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
$9 for a Bacardi? That is a just wrong. What I think would be worst is the people that will actually pay this high prices.

I will certainly be spending most of my time on the bars with decent food and beer now.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to wait and buy the vodka onboard the aircraft?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
And here it is...

U.S.-based lounges to offer wider selection of premium beers, wines and spirits
CHICAGO, Sept. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today launched an expanded premium beverage menu at its U.S.-based United Club lounges, offering customers local and imported beer choices and a wider selection of wines and spirits for purchase.

Regionals, Imports and Microbrews
United now offers customers as many as 27 imported, regional and microbrew beers for purchase in addition to complimentary domestic beer. The airline expects to rotate the premium beer menu several times a year.

The beer options include: Anchor Steam, Asahi, Blue Moon, Blue Point, Brooklyn Lager, Corona, Fat Tire, Florida IPA, Goose Island, Great Lakes-Dortmunder Gold, Guinness, Heineken, Hurricane Reef Caribbean Pilsner, Inversion IPA, Karl Strauss, Leinenkugel, Long Board, Maritime, Pyramid, San Tan, Shiner, Sierra Nevada, Speakeasy IPA, Saint Arnold and Yuengling.

Premium Spirits and Wines
In addition to expanding the premium beer offerings, United is offering customers a greater selection of spirits and wines at U.S.-based United Club locations. New wine options include a Joel Gott Cabernet Sauvignon, Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, a Donna Paula Malbec and Veuve Cliquot Champagne. Added spirits include Ketel One, Stolichnaya, Hendrick's Gin, 10 Cane and Hennessey XO.

Additionally, United Clubs in several of the airline's hubs, including Chicago O'Hare, New York/Newark, Los Angeles, Houston and Washington Dulles, will offer members a complimentary guided tasting of Glenfiddich until the end of the year. A custom-made bar will offer customers a dedicated area to enjoy a pre-departure dram while learning about whisky.

Availability of the new beers, wines and spirits will vary by club location.

"The newly expanded premium beverage menu offers customers more of what they expect in a beverage selection when visiting an airport lounge," said Martin Hand, senior vice president of customer experience at United. "We are investing in our clubs and providing our customers with more ways to relax and enjoy greater local and global specialties, including regional microbrews and premium wines."

United Club Investments
In addition to expanding the premium beverage offerings, United is investing more than $50 million this year to renovate several of the airline's 49 United Club locations. United unveiled the new design prototype with the opening of the United Club in Terminal 2 at Chicago O'Hare International Airport last year. The airline recently opened newly designed United Clubs at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and San Diego International Airport.

As with all United Club lounges, members enjoy complimentary snacks, beverages and Wi-Fi.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
And here it is...
Wow...that is insulting. Just how stupid do they think we are?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Speak with your wallet. Until this announcement, I was going to renew my UC membership in October. Instead of UA getting that $400, I think I'll just give it to PriorityPass for a Prestige membership. Unlike the credit-card PP memberships, those aren't (currently) restricted from UC access at many clubs. Moreover, at my home airport of IAH, it will give me access to the KL Crown Lounge, open from 10:00-18:00, which continues to offer snacks, liquors, a clean and relatively new interior, and uncrowded atmosphere (most of the time) that can't be matched by any of the UCs at IAH.

Also, most major hubs and airports in the US (where you typically find clubs) also either recently underwent, are undergoing, or have planned substantial new terminal (or renovation) projects. Those usually result in a better variety of bars/restaurants, seating areas with available power, and either free or reasonably priced wifi. In light of such terminal improvements, the value proposition of the clubs is shrinking fast. Stupid move by UA. Offering a substandard product and charging more than the competition for it--did these guys get their MBAs at Sears?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"..."The newly expanded premium beverage menu offers customers more of what they expect in a beverage selection when visiting an airport lounge," said Martin Hand, senior vice president of customer experience at United."

I guess if we don't like the "enhancements", we can "talk to the Hand".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 10, 2013 at 11:18 am
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:12 am

"The newly expanded premium beverage menu offers customers more of what they expect in a beverage selection when visiting an airport lounge," said Martin Hand, senior vice president of customer experience at United. "We are investing in our clubs and providing our customers with more ways to relax and enjoy greater local and global specialties, including regional microbrews and premium wines."
All of which are available at the airport bars just down the concourse, without the need to pay annual membership dues and at a lower per-unit price.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Stupid move by UA. Offering a substandard product and charging more than the competition for it--did these guys get their MBAs at Sears?
No, they actually received them at Circuit City.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"...a Donna Paula Malbec..."

I have a couple of bottles of Dona Paula Malbec...I guess the extra "n" is worth the money...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am not even going to bother entering the UC in Seattle. The beverage choices are an insult. Since Priority Pass (international version) pays UA for my entry they won't get a cent for my non-visit. I usually would have a glass or two of wine and certainly not attempt to drink the place dry. Off to the Alaska Boardroom for some Alaskan Amber with some lovely soup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.