Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
I'm pretty sure all those retail prices are cheaper here in Dallas. I just bought 1.75L of Tito's $24.50 at Goody Goody. Saw a 1.75 Svedka it was $16.99 or 18.99. I will look when there again. UA should get a bigger discount than that.
Liquor taxes might be lower, but sales tax is 15%
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA scumbag. Global Entry. Piggly Wiggly loyalty card.
Here is the solution for IAH for a >3 hour layover.

1) Ride the 102 bus to the convenience store on Greens Road (about 15 minutes).
2) Buy a bottle of expensive spirit of your choice for the price of one measure of it in the UC.
3) Drink the expensive spirit of your choice while waiting for the 102 bus back to the airport, from a brown paper bag as drinking at a bus stop is a misdemeanor in Houston.
4) Ride the bus back to the airport.
4) Go through security at Terminal C (shortest lines) and ride the airside train back to Terminal E.
5) Go to the UC. You should be so drunk that the low-quality spirits served in the UC are of no consequence.

HOWEVER: You may also be so drunk that they will not let you into the UC for being drunk. Furthermore, you may be denied boarding on the bus for being drunk, or for not having the $1.25 fare, or for lacking the hand-eye co-ordination required for putting the fare into the fare box on the bus. Then they may not let you on the plane, either. And you might have already been arrested for drinking at the bus stop...

Maybe this isn't such a good idea. I'll get my coat.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I suppose I am one of those freeloaders....but to be fair UA gets paid for each entry I make via Priority Pass (Int'l version so still valid at UA) but I am not pleased with this either. I am not a big spirits drinker but do like wine and beer. The wine was pretty bad most of the time but you still had beer to fall back on. Now there is just the carrot sticks! I won't drink Bud or 2 buck chuck (or whatever cheaper stuff UA can source) and there is no food to speak of so what's the point? Definitely will stick to the AS Boardroom in Seattle! Also it will not endear me to flying UA in the future.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Not looking forward to my SFO-YVR flight in the near future... to UA.
Just wait until the new SFO T3 United Club opens.

It will be one of the best in the US.

Complimentary alcohol selections have not changed / been announced yet, right?

Hopefully, an acceptable local beer will still be available (Sierra Nevada would be great!)

If you like beer, and are traveling soon, just skip the UC altogether and head to the new Anchor Steam restaurant / 'brewery'. You will not be disappointed!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Liquor taxes might be lower, but sales tax is 15%
Where is sales tax 15%? Highest combined state, local and city tax I can find is about 10%.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Just wait until the new SFO T3 United Club opens.

It will be one of the best in the US.

Complimentary alcohol selections have not changed / been announced yet, right?
It was confirmed for me today. Liquor will be absolute bottom of the barrel and the only beer will be Bud Light in an even smaller glass than they serve it in now...and if you think the current wine is bad just wait.

This is absolutely ridiculous...raise membership prices again and then pull this?

I renewed a week ago but am trying to cancel and get a refund.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
This would NEVER happen if Gordon were in charge.

Just saying.

I don't drink heavily at the UC but do enjoy the regional beers - beer & Milano cookie has been my go-to.

If its just bud lite, I'll stick to water.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
If its just bud lite, I'll stick to water.
Same th@:-)ng...

It's after September 5. Has anyone visited the Red Presidents Club in Cleveland? I'm curious about the level of annoyance to expect from the new prcedures for wifi...

Last edited by Xyzzy; Sep 7, 2013 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000
It was confirmed for me today. Liquor will be absolute bottom of the barrel and the only beer will be Bud Light in an even smaller glass than they serve it in now...and if you think the current wine is bad just wait.
Heard in EWRs UC as well .

Only BL... BL for all!

The death by 1K cuts continue.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:33 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
United Club improvements (drinks and Wifi) - Sept. - Oct. 2013

Bartender in ORD told me yesterday that alot of 1 day pass customers come in and drink quite few drinks.

I am surprised they don't bring the government cubed cheese back.

The bellows is horrible. I wish they would just kept the Wells the same and charged two or three dollars for them.

He also mentioned wine was going to 12 and 14 a glass.

Maybe we will start seeing some bottles of bellows in first now.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I'd never heard of Bellows so I googled them. Bizarre how any manufacturer could maintain such a total internet blackout. The only hits you get are retailers - and one lawsuit, according to which Bellows and Company, Inc, is located in Maryland.

This is beginning to look like the kind of fantasy spirit brands you find in Lidl, if there are any other Europeans reading this thread. Their current vodka is called "Putinoff".

Mind, you're unlikely to see much of us non-US visitors who have been entering the club on the basis of our international boarding passes rather than membership. Let's see, I can either go to the UA club, which is tatty and crowded and sells mediocre drinks but no food, or I could go to Vino Volo... No-brainer!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I'd never heard of Bellows so I googled them. Bizarre how any manufacturer could maintain such a total internet blackout. The only hits you get are retailers - and one lawsuit, according to which Bellows and Company, Inc, is located in Maryland.
I was inspired by your post, so I did some searching. The company that owns the brand is Beam Global Spirits & Wine. They also own Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, and numerous brand you have heard of. Of course, if you look elsewhere on their site you'll nly find brands they seem to be proud of (hint -- the linked page is the only one that seems to mention Bellows).
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by dshafiee
Bartender in ORD told me yesterday that alot of 1 day pass customers come in and drink quite few drinks.
If this truly is the problem, seems to me the easy solution is to instate these charges but give paid members, *G and int'l C/F pax each 2-3 drink chits valid for what used to be free. Let day pass members pay.

Of course, I already cancelled my membership two months ago so I don't really care. Got tired of fighting for a seat in the IAH-C clubs.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
1. How does the bartender know the customers' entry credentials?
2. Has any guest ever consumed more than $50 (purchase value) worth?
3. If there's nothing in the club worth drinking, eating, or sitting on, why would anybody pay $50 for a day pass in the future?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:19 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
1. How does the bartender know the customers' entry credentials?
2. Has any guest ever consumed more than $50 (purchase value) worth?
3. If there's nothing in the club worth drinking, eating, or sitting on, why would anybody pay $50 for a day pass in the future?
On number 1, people told him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.