Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 14, 1:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: J.Edward
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 6, 13, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
Not looking forward to my SFO-YVR flight in the near future... to UA.
Just wait until the new SFO T3 United Club opens.

It will be one of the best in the US.

Complimentary alcohol selections have not changed / been announced yet, right?

Hopefully, an acceptable local beer will still be available (Sierra Nevada would be great!)

If you like beer, and are traveling soon, just skip the UC altogether and head to the new Anchor Steam restaurant / 'brewery'. You will not be disappointed!
Old Sep 6, 13, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
Liquor taxes might be lower, but sales tax is 15%
Where is sales tax 15%? Highest combined state, local and city tax I can find is about 10%.
Old Sep 6, 13, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
Just wait until the new SFO T3 United Club opens.

It will be one of the best in the US.

Complimentary alcohol selections have not changed / been announced yet, right?
It was confirmed for me today. Liquor will be absolute bottom of the barrel and the only beer will be Bud Light in an even smaller glass than they serve it in now...and if you think the current wine is bad just wait.

This is absolutely ridiculous...raise membership prices again and then pull this?

I renewed a week ago but am trying to cancel and get a refund.
Old Sep 6, 13, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
This would NEVER happen if Gordon were in charge.

Just saying.

I don't drink heavily at the UC but do enjoy the regional beers - beer & Milano cookie has been my go-to.

If its just bud lite, I'll stick to water.
Old Sep 6, 13, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
If its just bud lite, I'll stick to water.
Same [email protected]:-)ng...

It's after September 5. Has anyone visited the Red Presidents Club in Cleveland? I'm curious about the level of annoyance to expect from the new prcedures for wifi...

Last edited by Xyzzy; Sep 7, 13 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 6, 13, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
It was confirmed for me today. Liquor will be absolute bottom of the barrel and the only beer will be Bud Light in an even smaller glass than they serve it in now...and if you think the current wine is bad just wait.
Heard in EWRs UC as well .

Only BL... BL for all!

The death by 1K cuts continue.
Old Sep 7, 13, 6:33 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
United Club improvements (drinks and Wifi) - Sept. - Oct. 2013

Bartender in ORD told me yesterday that alot of 1 day pass customers come in and drink quite few drinks.

I am surprised they don't bring the government cubed cheese back.

The bellows is horrible. I wish they would just kept the Wells the same and charged two or three dollars for them.

He also mentioned wine was going to 12 and 14 a glass.

Maybe we will start seeing some bottles of bellows in first now.
Old Sep 7, 13, 6:53 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
I'd never heard of Bellows so I googled them. Bizarre how any manufacturer could maintain such a total internet blackout. The only hits you get are retailers - and one lawsuit, according to which Bellows and Company, Inc, is located in Maryland.

This is beginning to look like the kind of fantasy spirit brands you find in Lidl, if there are any other Europeans reading this thread. Their current vodka is called "Putinoff".

Mind, you're unlikely to see much of us non-US visitors who have been entering the club on the basis of our international boarding passes rather than membership. Let's see, I can either go to the UA club, which is tatty and crowded and sells mediocre drinks but no food, or I could go to Vino Volo... No-brainer!
Old Sep 7, 13, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
I'd never heard of Bellows so I googled them. Bizarre how any manufacturer could maintain such a total internet blackout. The only hits you get are retailers - and one lawsuit, according to which Bellows and Company, Inc, is located in Maryland.
I was inspired by your post, so I did some searching. The company that owns the brand is Beam Global Spirits & Wine. They also own Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, and numerous brand you have heard of. Of course, if you look elsewhere on their site you'll nly find brands they seem to be proud of (hint -- the linked page is the only one that seems to mention Bellows).
Old Sep 7, 13, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by dshafiee View Post
Bartender in ORD told me yesterday that alot of 1 day pass customers come in and drink quite few drinks.
If this truly is the problem, seems to me the easy solution is to instate these charges but give paid members, *G and int'l C/F pax each 2-3 drink chits valid for what used to be free. Let day pass members pay.

Of course, I already cancelled my membership two months ago so I don't really care. Got tired of fighting for a seat in the IAH-C clubs.
Old Sep 7, 13, 8:47 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
1. How does the bartender know the customers' entry credentials?
2. Has any guest ever consumed more than $50 (purchase value) worth?
3. If there's nothing in the club worth drinking, eating, or sitting on, why would anybody pay $50 for a day pass in the future?
Old Sep 7, 13, 9:19 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
1. How does the bartender know the customers' entry credentials?
3. If there's nothing in the club worth drinking, eating, or sitting on, why would anybody pay $50 for a day pass in the future?
On number 1, people told him.
Old Sep 7, 13, 10:50 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Like all businesses, the cost of consumables is but a small part of the cost of providing the service. It's like they tell you on those restaurant makeover shows - if you don't include enough margin, you'll go out of business. Let's compare pre-merger RCC with today. How many drinks did UA think they could give away for free and not lose their shirts on RCCs? Two per international premium class customer. I guess they tried out giving away more and it hasn't worked out for them. Obviously another miscalculation by management based on applying a management technique based on the pre-merger CO demographic to the post-merger UA demographic and having it not work out.

We're seeing the same thing at the company I work at. The management from one side of the house is applying their management instincts to my side of the house and it has resulted in a number of issues for the firm. Ultimately they learned their lesson and are making big corrections.
I don't go into the United Club for the food, drinks or to sit on Corinthian leather. I go there to relax and read, have quiet conversation with my wife or colleagues, and do some work on decent wifi someplace with conveniently placed power plugs. While there I need hydration and sometimes a small snack. I don't know the psychology of day passes but I know I didn't didn't buy my membership to get sloshed or for the food.

That said the mentality of offering an embarassingly low quality bottom shelf liquors, beer and wine is questionable. But maybe this is just a first step and the second step will be the announcement that they've decided to drop the unacceptably low quality stuff altogether and we'll have to pay for everything.
Old Sep 7, 13, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
LGA UC (which is one of my favorite's apart from it being outside security) is still serving Seagram's 7 as of right now. The actual pamphlet which lists complimentary spirits still have the list we've always known. Perhaps they are just drawing down existing reserves.
Old Sep 7, 13, 11:33 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lensman View Post
Like all businesses, the cost of consumables is but a small part of the cost of providing the service. It's like they tell you on those restaurant makeover shows - if you don't include enough margin, you'll go out of business. Let's compare pre-merger RCC with today. How many drinks did UA think they could give away for free and not lose their shirts on RCCs? Two per international premium class customer. I guess they tried out giving away more and it hasn't worked out for them. Obviously another miscalculation by management based on applying a management technique based on the pre-merger CO demographic to the post-merger UA demographic and having it not work out.
Except that membership cost has gone up at least 33% since then and most other airlines in the world give it away for free to their premium flyers with a much higher level of service. This is just another way the airline is trying to nickel and dime is best customers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: