Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by unavaca
Wow, Dona Paula, Joel Gott, and Sycamore Lane are from the same company. "From the guys who brought you Sutter Home ..."

http://tfewines.com/our-wines/

Ugh.
I wouldn't poo-poo a multi-brand winery - some of their brands can be quite good, while others not. Judge each by its taste.

I've worked with a private label winery on an export project in the past, and I can attest to the fact that some of their product was absolutely stellar - yet would never see the light of day in the USA. Private label wineries can work wonders in terms of crafting a high quality great tasting wine from so-so sources at a very reasonable price-point.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by BookerNYC
$4.99 a bottle. Why not just stock Two Buck Chuck and get it over with. Sigh.
I was half expecting Franzia, so I guess this should be positive news in comparison.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by entropy
for those of you wondering about the delicious (tm) upgraded wine selection... (Sycamore Lane)

industry leading cheapness.... how sad.
Well look on the bright side, if you go from a UC to a Hyatt you can get Sycamore Lane and Canvas and enjoy two unique forms of plonk.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Beer

Bud Light - Free

=========

I've never ordered any beer with the word 'Light' in it in my life.

That is the SOLE beer offering at all USA RCC's now?

They have got to be kidding?

I can just see the barman trying to explain to a German or Swede or anyone who likes a real beer, on a $6,000 ticket, that is the ONLY complimentary choice he gets in his 2 hour club visit. Insane.

Great way to lose even more high end business to carriers who offer a real flying experience from boarding to Clubs to attentive FA's service.

Foreign travelers tend to avoid even regular Budweiser, so this is just madness.

Having Becks or Heineken or another choice is most wise.

Glen
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
There are other beer offerings in the club... for a few extra bucks
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrjay

There are other beer offerings in the club... for a few extra bucks
There are other carrier choices too, and not always a few bucks more.

This is the kind of absurd nickel and diming that is losing top end fliers in droves to United. This one just takes the cake.

"Bud Light" or "Bud Light" is your complimentary choice today Sir.

I'd hate to be a bartender in the coming months.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
There are other carrier choices too, and not always a few bucks more.

This is the kind of absurd nickel and diming that is losing top end fliers in droves to United. This one just takes the cake.

"Bud Light" or "Bud Light" is your complimentary choice today Sir.

I'd hate to be a bartender in the coming months.
I agree with you 100%. Since my club membership has 8 months left on it, I will ante up a few bucks for a premium beer like what I got for free last week, because to me Bud or Bud Lite tastes like how I imagine horse piss would taste. Heck, I'll even tip the bartender a couple bucks and will refrain from griping about the cost to him/her.

But, I will not be renewing club membership next year even if I choose to continue flying UA.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I feel sorry for the bartenders. This nickel and dime lunacy is not of their making, and tips are the mainstay of their income. I would not stiff these guys for dumb decisions upon high.

I recall when that quantum leap occurred a few years ago, when booze was finally FREE in RCC - after decades of charging for it all. (Gasp - now THERE is a novel market leading concept - free drinks in a Business Lounge!) Before that one needed drink chits or cash.

There were a few limited and petty lame beer offerings at that time, but things like Sam Adams etc were pretty soon among them, and a few acceptable choices were on offer. Fine.

I have no huge issue with charging for premium liquor and premium wine - that's mildly OK as long as some basic choices are still free in each case.

But Bud Light and only Bud Light - that is a disaster thought bubble. UA has lots of those in recent years. Barely thought through mind explosions by someone, and not work-shopped via folks with brains.

Anything with the word "Light" or "Lite" on the label simply does not pass for beer to the great bulk of beer drinkers. Period.

The cost to UA to have an "international" looking full strength name choice as well, like Heineken is near zero extra per glass. Each keg costs the same to them.

Lets hope those emails keep on going to the Brass.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by mrjay
I agree with you 100%. Since my club membership has 8 months left on it, I will ante up a few bucks for a premium beer like what I got for free last week, because to me Bud or Bud Lite tastes like how I imagine horse piss would taste. Heck, I'll even tip the bartender a couple bucks and will refrain from griping about the cost to him/her.
+1! I absolutely refuse to drink Bud and might just fork over the price for better beer since I just renewed my membership in June (which I'm of course now very disappointed about doing). Having complimentary local brews on tap was one of my favorite features of the UCs till now.

Lets hope those emails keep on going to the Brass. .
If everyone else is with me I say we not only start emailing the club address but let's start spamming Jeff's inbox about this as well.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 11, 2013 at 5:50 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The WIKI does not make it clear to me as I focused only on Beers, as in Clubs that is what I generally drink.

Am I to understand NO choices of complimentary red/white/sparking or spirits are now offered?

Or are the WIKI notes outlining only the "premium" offerings and cost?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The WIKI does not make it clear to me as I focused only on Beers, as in Clubs that is what I generally drink.

Am I to understand NO choices of complimentary red/white/sparking or spirits are now offered?

Shot of Bailey's for your coffee? $6, please. I'm gonna keep the little bottles from the plane, refill 'em at home and serve myself, thank you.

I'm thinking they're gonna lose more in membership dollars than they're gonna make selling booze.

What next? Put the minimal food offerings into a vending machine?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:15 am

Dude, chillax, the Wiki is not some kind of magical official thing. I just pasted some stuff in there like a couple of hours ago. There's still free wine and liquor, but no one has filled it in. Feel free to look through the thread and do so.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc

Dude, chillax, the Wiki is not some kind of magical official thing. I just pasted some stuff in there like a couple of hours ago. There's still free wine and liquor, but no one has filled it in. Feel free to look through the thread and do so.
Sorry, I do not have the 8 hours to read all 450 posts on this thread. @:-)

I'd suggest the WIKI adds a note there ARE free wine/spirit choices, as not all members have all day to read all posts to discover that.

Free "Bud Light: is mentioned and nothing on the others.

UA does so many stupid short sighted things these days no free wine would not have surprised me at all.

So I assume that there MIGHT be beers other than Bud Light after all?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: UA G

I'd suggest the WIKI adds a note there ARE free wine/spirit choices, as not all members have all day to read all posts to discover that.

UA does so many stupid things these days no free win would not have surprised me at all.
Anyone can edit the wiki @:-)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:21 am

UA does so many stupid short sighted things these days no free wine would not have surprised me at all.

So I assume that there MIGHT be beers other than Bud Light after all?
Feel free to make any edits to the wiki that you see fit. That's kinda the point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.