Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
SFO seems to have normal liquors, wine, and beer and even has Sierra Nevada Pale, Sierra Nevada Wheat, and Big Daddy IPA.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000
SFO seems to have normal liquors, wine, and beer and even has Sierra Nevada Pale, Sierra Nevada Wheat, and Big Daddy IPA.
Can you guest me in?

Oh, wait, I am not flying today...
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
[RUMOR] New Beverage offerings at United Clubs (Coming September 2013)

I'm really upset not having Jim complimentary anymore.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
A GM paying $500 a year almost certainly won't use the club more than a plat paying $350 or whatever it is, and on a cost/use basis the plat obviously will be a much less profitable user than the [GM].
True and very interesting aspect. I wonder if anyone actually pays full price?

The "Rest of the world" situation is different, certainly within the EU, the lounge is a big part of "business class" experience, since the seats are Y seats.
Again, interesting and thanks for the observation.

I always thought the CO way was worse. I can't count the # of times going through IAH and EWR when the club was basically a drunken frat party. UA was more subdued. Again, given the choice between unlimited garbage and limited coupons for good stuff, I'll take the good stuff any day.
Agree about wanting a more subdued atmosphere, but I haven't found IAH or EWR clubs to be that frat-party-ish. A lot of families with kids, though.

Originally Posted by Baze
But I think they would be better served to do things to get people to actually pay for memberships and weed out all the freebie entries.
But isn't it true that from the UA perspective there aren't any freebie entries? They get revenue from all entries. It's just that the Explorer card passes are paid for by Chase.

I think there are just a lot more members and these members fly a lot more. This is why UA has started losing margin because of the bar. They adopted the CO free alcohol policy but didn't count on the fact that they have more *very* frequent fliers and the result is the free alcohol policy costs them a lot more than expected.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Either way, I think it is not good to have raised the price for UC and then cheapen the product. JMHO.
Has this actually been confirmed? Are they going to 'cheapen' the free products or is it still all speculation?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by kale73
If you like / want Colorado beer, I suggest skipping the Club and heading down to the New Belgium brew pub at the entrance to the RJ gates. ^
Guy that works there (Rick) is a former RCC employee. VERY good guy, so I always try to stop by on my way home!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Does anyone know what exactly will be free, or for charge? I got the Club Card specifically to kick it in the club during long layovers and enjoy some good drinks. This change is hitting me kind of hard.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by wpr8e
Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH

Either way, I think it is not good to have raised the price for UC and then cheapen the product. JMHO.

Has this actually been confirmed? Are they going to 'cheapen' the free products or is it still all speculation?
Some people in the other thread (sorry can't link on iPhone) are already reporting frat party vodka at the ORD clubs.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
Does anyone know what exactly will be free, or for charge? I got the Club Card specifically to kick it in the club during long layovers and enjoy some good drinks. This change is hitting me kind of hard.
What among the current offering of free drinks do you call 'good drinks'?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Just skimmed the thread, and didn't see confirmation, but will the Wi-Fi go back to one OMUA cards? If so, big downgrade. PMUA would allow guests to get cards, and on domestic we obviously only have one lounge access card for the family, it meant my mother and I couldn't get on Wi-Fi.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Just skimmed the thread, and didn't see confirmation, but will the Wi-Fi go back to one OMUA cards? If so, big downgrade. PMUA would allow guests to get cards, and on domestic we obviously only have one lounge access card for the family, it meant my mother and I couldn't get on Wi-Fi.
No details yet announced for non-members or how anyone connects multiple devices. Too early for confirmed but time will tell.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ

What among the current offering of free drinks do you call 'good drinks'?
Well, speaking for myself, Beefeater gin is decent. The cordials like Campari and Bailey's are good too. In my experience there are enough respectable selections here and there that it's been possible to drink reasonably well.

Of course the whisk(e)y selections leave a lot to be desired.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by salesna
Well, speaking for myself, Beefeater gin is decent. The cordials like Campari and Bailey's are good too. In my experience there are enough respectable selections here and there that it's been possible to drink reasonably well.

Of course the whisk(e)y selections leave a lot to be desired.
And I prefer beer and vodka (not mixed). So usually have been able to quench my thirst.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I like canadian club...its what they serve on domestic F on AA, UA and DL
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by andyh64000
IAD C17 club still had the standard offerings this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.