Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by unavaca
Sure it does. 1mm provides for lifetime Gold, which beats no status or a poke in the eye. Nowhere in the terms does it include ego stroking, which is the only thing adding MM to the manifest does.
???

I've always thought 1MM was pretty cool and I'm looking forward to getting there.

It shows a demonstrated commitment to and lengthy relationship with UA and I think it's totally appropriate for there to be special recognition. If you want to call this "ego stroking" that's your prerogative, but I really don't understand the negativity or demeaning commentary.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:08 am

I don't understand -- why do people make a big deal about MM status? Great, you hit 1MM and you're now Gold. You're not any better than any other person who made Gold that year. DYKWIA?
Sure it does. 1mm provides for lifetime Gold, which beats no status or a poke in the eye. Nowhere in the terms does it include ego stroking, which is the only thing adding MM to the manifest does.
Let me explain something to you on this lovely Labor Day (which is what flying a few million miles is - LABORIOUS)--- It's NOT the requirement, or BIG DEAL that people feel the need to be stroked and/or that they should be treated any better than anyone else on the plane. It is simply a nice gesture to be recognized as a very loyal customer who has stuck with one airline through thick and thin for many years.

A MMer, a 2MMer, or even a 3MMer does not get any added benefits and that's just the way it is, and I see no reason for anyone to have an objection to having a f/a thank a person for their "Continued Loyalty" --- year after year!

No-one's getting any added bennie's for being a MMer except for the occasional "Thank you"!

Fly enough, and you too may get an "Atta Boy" once in a while, and will feel good that an employee appreciates/acknowledges your business! Also, fly over 2,700,000 miles, like I have, and after a while you have more things to concern yourself with than who gets an extra asterisk after their name on the manifest!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:25 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by LilAbner
.............A MMer, a 2MMer, or even a 3MMer does not get any added benefits and that's just the way it is, and I see no reason for anyone to have an objection to having a f/a thank a person for their "Continued Loyalty" --- year after year!

No-one's getting any added bennie's for being a MMer except for the occasional "Thank you"!
Added benefits for being a MM: The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

One million (at least)Premier Gold ✓
Two million (at least)Premier Platinum ✓
Three million (at least) Premier 1K® ✓
Four million Global ServicesSM ✓

Lifetime flight miles Status award Annual Status for spouse/
significant other.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
To me it boils down to two things:

- Treat all passengers with respect and give them good service whether it's their first flight or their 1000th..
- Recognize those who have invested their time and money in the product, especially when it costs little or nothing to do so.

Sadly, the new United often fails on both counts.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Koko
Just got off flight where purser thanked me for being a 1K and said I was only person in Global First (yes I actually paid for it due to schedule), to which I replied I am MM and why if first full. He bemoaned new system and said all paid to upgrade. I am one if the few elites in Global First. Needles to say, the crew was VERY nice to me.

He objected to having more than the one person (you) to take care of?

How did he and the other crew treat the other pax (the "upgraders")?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
Added benefits for being a MM: The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

One million (at least)Premier Gold ✓
Two million (at least)Premier Platinum ✓
Three million (at least) Premier 1K® ✓
Four million Global ServicesSM ✓

Lifetime flight miles Status award Annual Status for spouse/
significant other.
Most people that are nearing 3 million bis miles are well of aware of these facts and so are their spouses--- The topic is whether a MMer is a dykwia person for being recognized for their continues loyalty. It seems that some think that anything noted special on the manifest recognizing a MMer is snobbish.

If a f/a, t/a, or g/a happens to mention to me, 'WOW! You sure have flown a lot of miles with us over the years, thank you Mr. Abner", wouldn't that be nice? Or perhaps they should make a BIG DEAL out of each and every person that shows up to the gate as everyone should be treated equally, and God forbid that someone would feel slighted. This similar topic was discussed a little over a year ago when it was suggested that it ain't fair that elites get to ride up front sometimes for FREE when others less fortunate are always regulated to steerage.

The ONLY solution for this unfair treatment of the masses is a short hop to Cuba where everyone is equal and a 55 Chevy Bel Air is the latest model cruising the high schools.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
I've never been GS, only 1K most of my time with UA.

I remember in the pmUA days, being regularly greeted in F by the FA with a , "Thank you for your business/loyalty," when the FA was about to ask me my meal preference.

These days, however, I'm only seeing GS members getting that "Thank you." Hello?!

I can grin, bear and accept boarding and boarding-signage recognizing GS and no longer 1K, but are you going to tell me that all of us who fly 100K+ miles per year are no longer worth thanking?

Ridiculous!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This is quite the CO position, but I'm not surprised.
I was exclusively a PMUA flier and my public post history is almost completely in the PMUA forums.

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Also, fly over 2,700,000 miles, like I have, and after a while you have more things to concern yourself with than who gets an extra asterisk after their name on the manifest!
I, for one, agree with you on this. The star system, as far as the FAs are concerned, are for prioritizing meals. It sounds like a lot of the posters on this thread are trying to overload the function of these stars with the silliness of MM recognition, thus I restate my position: These are DYWIAs. If these people desire more stars, more can be acquired here.

It's a meal-prioritization system - nothing more, nothing less.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No offense - but 3 flights on a single day isn't exactly what you would call a projectable data set.

I've generally had good luck w/meal order priority, but many others haven't.
You don't need a projectable data set to falsify an absolute statement like "I think the policy is now officially GS then front-to-back."

Now if he had said, "I think there hasn't been enough training in the NEW policy," I would agree with you.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I believe that pmua had a procedure for flight attendants to take meal orders - not that they all followed it. Usually, they took orders from GS, 1K, and Premier Executives, then, front to back in one direction and back to front in the other direction.

I know, according to this thread that only GS and 1K are recognized, but...

Does anyone know if the new United has any policy or procedure for taking meal orders?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EndlosLuft

Many of us are not impressed by the new United but something that makes the least sense to me is that they have actually removed information about their frequent flyers (such as Million Miler status) from manifests.
As usual 100 posts for and against this suggestion/allegation in post 1, but has this info been VERIFIED by a FA or someone who actually knows?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozstamps
As usual 100 posts for and against this suggestion/allegation in post 1, but has this info been VERIFIED by a FA or someone who actually knows?
Well, a number of us manifest-lookers (such as myself) have noticed the conspicuous absence of the MM designation...
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:40 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cranky1K
To me it boils down to two things:

- Treat all passengers with respect and give them good service whether it's their first flight or their 1000th..
- Recognize those who have invested their time and money in the product, especially when it costs little or nothing to do so.

Sadly, the new United often fails on both counts.
Truer words have never been spoken.

UA and several folks here seem to think that providing recognition to loyal customers somehow means you're not treating all passengers with respect. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
This topic was also interesting enough for Business Week to explore:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...with-your-data

And yes I think Flight Attendants should at least know if someone is for example a Million Miler or 2M, 3M, 4M.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 2K/2MM
Imagine you are sitting in Y, you had a crap day, flying somewhere when you would just rather stay home - and an FA brings you a drink and says "This one's on us - after 2M miles you look like you could use it". That would bring a smile to my face - and would reinforce why I still like this airline.

Or, imagine you are 11 hours into a flight to NRT and the FSM brings you the pilot's business card - and tells you the pilot took pictures of his nav equipment at the exact time you crossed 2M miles - and that the pilot would email them as soon as he got to his hotel in NRT.

The first has yet to happen - the second did. Small thing - big difference to me. If you give good people good information good things can happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.