Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Hey, all elites should be treated equal!

Anyone who says different is an elitist solely looking to have their ego stroked.

When everyone is special, then no one is special.
Me and Ma was just talkin' bout this the other day! That's why anytime we needs to use the crapper we just walk past the fish net up front and tell everyone that says sumptin' different, "Excuse us but we be the same as ya-all!" I normally only do this when I gots ta go bad, but ma does it every time she gets the urge to have her "Ego Stroked", where ever that's located.

We don't git out 2 much, don't ja no!!!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nyr2299
1. What is the benefit of having the information in the FA's hands anyway?
The occasional goodwill gesture, I suppose. Thanking pax by name, perhaps providing a drink gratis, etc. These things don't cost UA much and go a long way toward creating brand loyalty.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Last week, IAD-GRU:

Hello Mr. Mbarreto, and thank you for being a million miler. And Hello Mr. 8A, and thank you for being a GS.

Neither of us was/is MM or GS!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:46 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by exerda
The occasional goodwill gesture, I suppose. Thanking pax by name, perhaps providing a drink gratis, etc. These things don't cost UA much and go a long way toward creating brand loyalty.
+1 I am always pleasantly surprised and appreciative when that happens.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by golfingboy
For the FC manifest, you are correct. I will not say which flight that was on, but one FA showed me the manifest after she mentioned that they do not see as many elites in F anymore. On that flight, quite bit of non-elites cleared into F before any elites including a GS. The manifest showed a measly 5 elites in F with one being Silver.
More elites than ever, less F capacity, yet fewer elites in the front cabin?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 27, 2013 at 10:02 am Reason: off-topic
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:51 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not disputing anything, however, I knew this was going to happen as result of the merger. The same will happen to AA/US if the merger goes forward, I guarantee it.

My dad's flight tonight... 12 F, 2 elites cleared 500 years ago via YBM most likely, 24 hours to go 8 booked... 22ish hours to go 10 booked... This morning 11 booked. Now booked full... He is sitting at #1 with the list being 25 deep.

Maybe another reason they "might" have done away with the Y elite data is because there are way too many of us stuck in Y

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 27, 2013 at 9:12 am Reason: quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Over in British Airways land, you'll occasionally see bemused posters saying "the purser came and thanked me for all my travel this year because it said on his iPad that I had taken 6 longhaul international Club World flights". Kinda spooky!
BA made a big to-do about issuing iPads (or similar tablets) so FAs could Google (or otherwise) passengers to know more about them. Not spooky, but NSA/MI5-6 of them, a total violation of privacy!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:58 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nyr2299
1. What is the benefit of having the information in the FA's hands anyway? The way I see it is if I fly DL (which I never do), pay for a international biz class seat and receive less attention than someone else on the plane (who may or may not be diamond elite - I will never know), then I might be upset enough to never fly them again.
I flew DL last month in their new BusinessElite, transpac. (Wonderful experience overall, by the way). I was in the last row on J on the re-configured 777. I fully expected to not get my first meal choice and perhaps be on a little lesser scale than their Diamonds, Platinums, Titaniums, and Tungstens. They indeed ran out of my first meal choice...I had no problem with that.

I overheard the F/A to several people nearby me, "Mr. Jones, thanks for being a Diamond/Platinum Medallion! We appreciate your loyalty." Something I used to hear on UA all the time (well, not for being a Diamond Medallion on UA ), but you catch my drift, but barely hear that anymore.

Conversely, I got up and went to the lav probably 3/4 into the flight...On my way back, I had to pass close by a F/A, and I said, "Excuse me"...The F/A, without looking at anything, said, "No problem, Mr. MBS". I was shocked that I was not only addressed by name, but without her having to look at a manifest.

United does not create an environment (training/policy) to address people by name and/or status. If they do, they're not doing a very good job at it. I say this with having some great crews in general, but that extra personal touch of feeling appreciated is surely lacking on UA.

If it wasn't for DL's crappy Systemwide Upgrades, I'd switch based on that flight experience alone. And others did receive better treatment/more recognition than me.
________

As for UA treating everyone the same, if they're actually giving a level of service that is truly FIRST CLASS, I wouldn't be writing this post. But since their M.O. is not adding the 'little touches' to everyone, let alone top elites, I feel as if there's room for a gripe.

________

I think most people in F, whether there for the first time or the 100th time, have an understanding of how elite status works, and probably don't take exception to it. A few years ago (pre-merger), I was flying home from Vegas from my best friend's bachelor party...I used miles for an F ticket for him. I couldn't fly out there with him, but on the way back, LAS-ORD, we were traveling together, seated next to each other. In my favorite row 6 on the 757, the F/A came up to me just after take-off and said, "Mr. MBS, we have XXX or XXX for breakfast today, which do you prefer?" and skipped over my friend, saying politely, I'll be back to get your order in a few minutes. My friend said to me, "So, they come to you first because you fly so much? That's cool!" He didn't put up a stink or take exception to what transpired...The guy has flown maybe 10 times in his life, and even he gets it.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
United does not create an environment (training/policy) to address people by name and/or status. If they do, they're not doing a very good job at it. I say this with having some great crews in general, but that extra personal touch of feeling appreciated is surely lacking on UA.
This is spot-on. It's a training issue. United does not wish to emphasize recognition of status (oustide of GS) and therefore it does not happen.

Recognizing customers by name, thanking them for their business, smiling, etc. are quick, cheap and perceptible changes. United simply is not interested in them, a reality that is underscored by the implementation and quick retrenchment of meal orders by status for 1K/GS pax. I think the policy is now officially GS then front-to-back.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
Recognizing customers by name, thanking them for their business, smiling, etc. are quick, cheap and perceptible changes. United simply is not interested in them, a reality that is underscored by the implementation and quick retrenchment of meal orders by status for 1K/GS pax. I think the policy is now officially GS then front-to-back.
Couldn't agree more - the proof is in the pudding with this issue.

Do we REALLY know for sure that 1Ks no longer have meal preference after GS? Much like the boarding order, it seems like this is something that now changes quarterly.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

that's what happens when you cut capacity and aggressively sell the front cabin at a last minute discount.

Originally Posted by EWR764
This is spot-on. It's a training issue. United does not wish to emphasize recognition of status (oustide of GS) and therefore it does not happen.

And this is why UA lost so many HVFs and why they are having a difficult time winning them back. I'm Silver on DL, and when I call with a question or need help, they treat me like I'm a valued customer.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Hmmm, I was addressed by name on a flight over the weekend and all the 1K's names were circled for first meal choice.
Yea I had a very odd but nice experience last week on my flight from EWR-PHX. I was seated in Y with my wife and kids and a FA came up to me, addressed me by my name and gave me free drinks the whole trip. She obviously had a manifest with my name and status. Its certainly not policy but It felt great nonetheless.

Edit: reading this thread makes me realize it happens once in a while, its the first time its ever happened to me. Hopefully, it starts happening a little more often. As exedra said, its costs UA very little but was very appreciated (at least from me) seeing as I haven't liked many of the changes thus far.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Do we REALLY know for sure that 1Ks no longer have meal preference after GS? Much like the boarding order, it seems like this is something that now changes quarterly.
Last Wednesday, I was approached in 4B before FA retreated to row 1 and did front to back, including 4A. Elite-light flight, but this 1K thinks it's still in place.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Last Wednesday, I was approached in 4B before FA retreated to row 1 and did front to back, including 4A. Elite-light flight, but this 1K thinks it's still in place.
I think its still in place too based on a few flights ive had recently but I also find this is probably the least followed/publicized policy UA has. Many of the FA's have no idea the policy exists.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If anything, this just highlights the pathetic communication and emphasis on execution of this program. I've even heard (on multiple occasions) flight attendants complaining about the lack of communication and the perception that the company is making changes week-to-week and doing a poor job of disseminating information through the ranks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.