Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hughw
Definitely not. If you're in FC or BF, you should be treated the same. And as others have mentioned, who knows which person is most important for United to keep happy, the paid first class guy who may fly United only once a year, or the gal on an upgrade who has a 50K yearly spend. In fact, the upgrade might even by from a full Y ticket that costs just about as much as the FC ticket. The gal on the upgrade may be flying Y on her own dime, but normally sits in FC on all her company trips. Everyone in FC/BF should be treated great, period.
And meal orders should be front to back when fly west, and back to front fly east.
I agree that all pax should be treated the same. Jumping around the cabin strikes me as strange and a tad unprofessional. There are better ways to accomplish the same thing. AA uses the FEBO system, which most kettles don't know about. This lets elites select seats to insure first choices. And AA now lets every F pax (elite or not) pre-select meal choices, though that function does require an intelligent IT system.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: AA CO DL
Definitely not. If you're in FC or BF, you should be treated the same. And as others have mentioned, who knows which person is most important for United to keep happy, the paid first class guy who may fly United only once a year, or the gal on an upgrade who has a 50K yearly spend. In fact, the upgrade might even by from a full Y ticket that costs just about as much as the FC ticket. The gal on the upgrade may be flying Y on her own dime, but normally sits in FC on all her company trips. Everyone in FC/BF should be treated great, period.

And meal orders should be front to back when fly west, and back to front fly east.
Now that sounds like someone who gets upgraded to the 4th row in first class, and when they get to him, all the shrimp, fish, and crab salad are gone, so it is the apology and the "chateaubriand". Cold steak is not so bad, but 4 flights in 2 weeks, it gets a little boring.

It was, of course, better than noodles and peas in economy. As you have guessed by now, this was in the old days, when you did not have to buy your food on board.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well the current policy is GS>1K>everyone else. The FAs are supposed to take orders by row and prioritize orders in the galley. So complain all you like about what UA "should" do -- those are the rules as they actually are.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I'll bite.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Rule #1: Don't make any customers feel unimportant or inferior.
I don't think this is the intention, but no matter which way you look at it, someone in FC is inferior to someone else. Yes, same class, but the value of the customer differs, there's the full fare vs upgrade piece, GS/1K, etc. All of these distinctions make it unavoidable, regardless of whether different treatment is visible.

Rule #2: board sufficient quantities to avoid running out on the great majority of flights.
Not feasible in 2013 and with the new operating model. Who knows what algorithm they use to determine who typically wants a cheeseburger (puke) vs a salad, anyway.

Rule #3: treat everyone as an individual - to the 1k thank them for flying regularly with UA; to the non-elite, welcome them to UA and express a wish that they'll enjoy their flight/ choose UA again soon.
In full agreement. Yet to see it consistently applied, though.

Rule #4: NEVER NEVER make someone feel inferior. .
Based on my response to #2, those that value meal selections will often feel inferior. (Heck, most of us are made to feel inferior during the boarding process). Me? If my meal choice is not available, I might be disappointed but I never feel inferior - those with the appropriate status got offered what I wanted, and it ran out. The sky doesn't fall for me.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Rule #1: Don't make any customers feel unimportant or inferior.
Rule #2: board sufficient quantities to avoid running out on the great majority of flights.
Rule #3: treat everyone as an individual - to the 1k thank them for flying regularly with UA; to the non-elite, welcome them to UA and express a wish that they'll enjoy their flight/ choose UA again soon.
Rule #4: NEVER NEVER make someone feel inferior.
Rule #5: If someone is paying full fare C or F, recognise both their contribution to profitability and the fact that (usually) their company thinks they are important - usually important people have influence. Treat them well.
Rule #6: Fire anyone who doesn't follow Rules 1 or 4.

Originally Posted by airboss
Now that sounds like someone who gets upgraded to the 4th row in first class, and when they get to him, all the shrimp, fish, and crab salad are gone, so it is the apology and the "chateaubriand". Cold steak is not so bad, but 4 flights in 2 weeks, it gets a little boring.
As I remember, the way PMCO crew (exCONs) do it is that they take all orders front to back (asking for a second meal choice at times), then if the first choice of the non-elite is not available, they will go back and advise the first choice is not available.

This is more unobtrusive and equitable, IMO.

However, I think it does stroke the ego of elites as us when we are approached first, but the PMCO method ends up with the same result.

I fly only PMCO routes aside from LH flights, so this is what I have experienced recently.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
As I remember, the way PMCO crew (exCONs) do it is that they take all orders front to back (asking for a second meal choice at times), then if the first choice of the non-elite is not available, they will go back and advise the first choice is not available.

This is more unobtrusive and equitable, IMO.
I agree...this is what used to be done. Now it's super weird seeing them asking a few people for meal choices and then coming back through. I also try to be helpful by indicating to the FA when I don't have a strong preference. If I'm indifferent, I'd rather someone who cares a lot about the choice is happy.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Most airlines' FF programs do publicly differentiate. Early boarding, name recognition, (some) limos between gates. I don't call early boarding a "pseudo perk". It's a real benefit. Elite access security check? That's (usually) a perk, although pre-check is better. Dedicated check- in counters? Yes, please.

If I owned a car dealership and I recognized a guy who bought a new car every time he came in, I'd be rushing toward him vs Joe Schmoe who might just be kicking tires. I'm not going to risk the sure thing.

As for chicken vs pasta, the catering between the west coast and Hawaii seems to be the most monotonous. I fly a lot of other routes, and there's a bit more variety on those.

I'll say it again, there's really no reason why all can't be treated well and UA's FFs be recognized at the same time.
And that Joe Schmoe might be the next person who buys a car everytime he comes in but you chose to not rush towards him so he goes elsewhere and makes that company a ton of money. You should treat everyone like they are going to buy a car that trip just like airlines should treat everyone with respect and make them want to come back to UA. Doesn't mean you can't give extra to the proven fliers (or car buyers) but you don't ignore them or put them off because they are not proven. You never know, that person sitting there or kicking the tires, just might be trying you out to make a huge corporate decision to steer business your way.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Marketing 101 says to recognize and appreciate your best customers.

It costs United NOTHING to have a flight attendant say thank you for being a 1K or GS member.

I was on a flight last week from ORD-DEN (in coach) and the flight attendant came with a business card with a thank you note from the Captain. Little things like this make you feel appreciated.

I do agree that everyone in first should be treated equally though - regardless of how you got there. But that doesn't mean they should say thank you for flying every week.
Agree wholeheartedly with this. I remember when the purser used to come through with a note for every GS and 1K traveler on international flights in First or Business - it was pretty simple and said exactly what the paper did - thanks for flying with us. Seriously, we have choices (and many, like myself, have been choosing away from United more and more) and United appreciates that we chose to fly them instead of someone else.

There is a side of me that agrees that everyone in First deserves a similar level of service, but as long as United boards a limited number of what everyone wants for a meal, then some priority is needed. Personally, I don't care how they prioritize, just so its consistent so that I can adjust my travels appropriately. If its gonna be front to back, I'll select a seat slightly more to the front if I really care what the meal is going to be. Its the inconsistency and complete lack of logic combined with the continued downgrade of service at every turn that really is turning the frequent fliers away from United.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So - does that mean that you then turn down E+ and sit in the back (since you don't want it), board with the masses (vs. groups 1/2), tell the FA "just give me whatever is left over", etc?

FF programs are designed to maximize inequities, IMO as they should be - travel more / spend more, get more benefits.
I find no value whatsoever in E+. Yes, I pick the seat closest to the exit to make deplaning easier, but I'd have no problem if they gave everyone an equal opportunity to snag such seats and I would have no problem if they eliminated E+ seating; while others clearly disagree I think that this was the one piece of pmUA that should have been jettisoned. Or for that matter,I'd have no problem if the airlines were to eliminate F/C seats which I do routinely turn down in favor of anyone of lessor means who I think may value it; with the right word to GA one can easily get an elderly first time flyer who has obviously led a hard life move up from the rear where I am more than happy to sit. As to boarding, I tend to either board last or just saunter into line randomly.

I've said it before, I will say it again: FF plans are useful for getting free travel, seating and other inequities are neither, IMO, desirable nor wanted.

Last edited by Indelaware; Aug 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
I find no value whatsoever in E+. Yes, I pick the seat closest to the exit to make deplaning easier, but I'd have no problem if they gave everyone an equal opportunity to snag such seats and I would have no problem if they eliminated E+ seating; while others clearly disagree I think that this was the one piece of pmUA that should have been jettisoned. Or for that matter,I'd have no problem if the airlines were to eliminate F/C seats which I do routinely turn down in favor of anyone of lessor means who I think may value it; with the right word to GA and easily get an elderly first time flyer who has obviously led a hard life move up from the rear where I am more than happy to sit. As to boarding, I tend to either board last or just saunter into line randomly.

I've said it before, I will say it again: FF plans are useful for getting free travel, seating and other inequities are neither, IMO, desirable nor wanted.
Just because you don't desire or want them doesn't mean others don't either. I value E+ immensely as I have long legs. The extra legroom is one of the reasons I stick with United along with route network.

And based on your posting I would assume you are shorter in stature so legroom is not an issue with you and only have a carryon that would fit under the seat in front of you so overhead storage is not an issue with you.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
There's a lot of high level thinking on this thread about class and fairness, etc.

For me, I like UNITED asking me for my meal choice. As a 1K, I don't want to worry about where I sit in order to avoid eating the same meal I might have had the last 6 times in a row in the last two weeks. It just makes this loyal to UNITED frequent travelers life easier.

It's not a put down on other people, but it's an easy thing to do that I appreciate. Just ask everyone first and second choice, sort it in the galley and call it a day IMO.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Just because you don't desire or want them doesn't mean others don't either. I value E+ immensely as I have long legs. The extra legroom is one of the reasons I stick with United along with route network.

And based on your posting I would assume you are shorter in stature so legroom is not an issue with you and only have a carryon that would fit under the seat in front of you so overhead storage is not an issue with you.
I am of normal height. E+ may be of value to those with extra long legs. However, that is not a reason to provide them to people based on the number of miles they fly; they should be provided to people based on the length of their legs, be such people flying UA 365 days per year or once in a lifetime.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
I am of normal height. E+ may be of value to those with extra long legs. However, that is not a reason to provide them to people based on the number of miles they fly; they should be provided to people based on the length of their legs, be such people flying UA 365 days per year or once in a lifetime.
But you know as well as I do that would never happen. E+ is a good revenue generator UA. And they decided to give it free as a perk to Elites. But even that is diminishing as in the case of Silvers not getting it free until check in time. But I know plenty of short people who value E+ as it gives them more room with their laptop to work and not worry as much about the seat in front reclining into their screen and damaging it.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:43 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
How would you like the following for a greeting from flight attendant? On a recent flight a FA in First Class I had seen before says to me "Oh, you're on here again?" The tone in her voice was confusing. I did not really know this person well. I had seen her, but did not know her name. I did not really know how to take her remark. The service during the flight was not exceptional and she did not go out of her way to make conversation. I try to be pleasant to the FAs & could not remember any unpleasant situation with this person. But perhaps she had a different perception, or had me confused with another person. Anyway, I think she should have chosen different words & I definitely did not feel appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I would like UALto make the one choice great and forget about having two bad choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.