Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Are you sure ?, I have yet to see a YVR-IAH flight be operated by a United crew. That flight runs from the Houston domestic base. What aircraft were you on ?
Then you must've not looked hard enough because the sUA side has flown the YVR - IAH flights before with A319/A320 aircraft. In fact the other day UA868 did YVR - IAH on an A319 tail 4024.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Of course people actually paying for a first-class ticket should be prioritised over those on upgrades, correct?
This is hotly disputed. I personally would not have a problem if full fare F got first choice. That is not how it's done, however. GS>1K>everyone else.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I'm just thrilled if they speak to me by name in F or Y. On UA, I've been acknowledged by name about 20% of the time in F and never in Y. On LH it's about 80% in Y. Pretty impressive!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Then you must've not looked hard enough because the sUA side has flown the YVR - IAH flights before with A319/A320 aircraft. In fact the other day UA868 did YVR - IAH on an A319 tail 4024.
Always possible, that's why I asked, and didn't just shout that you were wrong. Every time I have taken that flight it seems to be a 737. I looked over the next few days also to see what was running it, and it was the 737 for all the days I could see.

I have a few flights recently where a passenger had insisted that we were a United crew when in fact it was all HTA crew.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Always possible, that's why I asked, and didn't just shout that you were wrong. Every time I have taken that flight it seems to be a 737. I looked over the next few days also to see what was running it, and it was the 737 for all the days I could see.

I have a few flights recently where a passenger had insisted that we were a United crew when in fact it was all HTA crew.
It's sporadic from what I can tell. Just like some of the EWR flights. Example EWR - SEA could one day be all sCO 737s and then a few days later an sUA A320 could be thrown in the mix so it varies. BTW are you FA? You seem very knowledgable of our FA bases on the sCO side. ^
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As a 1K who has been asked about 20 times this year if I want the Chicken Cacciatore or the Spinach Pasta with Cream Sauce between the West Coast and Hawaii, I do not want all passengers treated equally. Most people on that flight might make one or two round-trips a year to Hawaii (if that), so they can suffer the occasional leftover dish. As long as UA caters a limited selection of First food, frequent flyers should get their choice.

I haven't seen the short rib in 2 or 3 months!!!! (obviously an aside comment...)

There's no rule against treating all passengers well and recognizing your frequent flyers. It can be done.
I can't imagine that having to choose between the chicken and the pasta is anything other than a small thing - although you are certainly in the right to have a different opinion. It is not a really long flight, only about 6 hours. Moreover, 20 times per year is less than once every other week; how many dinners do we all have on the ground where there is no meal choice (family meal, conferences, etc.)? Besides, the vast majority of passengers do without eating any meal. And while both meal choices are fine, this very FF always travels with a tub of peanut butter and a piece of fresh fruit in case the blood sugar level goes low while in flight; the really isn't anything more first class than not being dependent upon an airline for one's stomach -- especially since it is so easy to bring easy, quality food such as I do.

That said, for myself, I find it rather infuriating whenever I am asked for my meal choice prior to others, except when it is done in an arbitrary way such as by seating order. When one has resources (or in this case status), I believe, it is important to work to minimize inequities. Likewise, I believe that passengers should always be boarded by row/seat or check-in time, but never by status. In my mind, the point of FF programs is to be provided with free travel not for (pseudo) perks which publicly differentiate us from one another.

Others may have different opinions.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As a 1K who has been asked about 20 times this year if I want the Chicken Cacciatore or the Spinach Pasta with Cream Sauce between the West Coast and Hawaii, I do not want all passengers treated equally. Most people on that flight might make one or two round-trips a year to Hawaii (if that), so they can suffer the occasional leftover dish. As long as UA caters a limited selection of First food, frequent flyers should get their choice.

I haven't seen the short rib in 2 or 3 months!!!! (obviously an aside comment...)

There's no rule against treating all passengers well and recognizing your frequent flyers. It can be done.
Second that emotion! My last flight from SFO-HNL, has the same FA in front as a few weeks back. She recognized me and said, as I was sitting down, "it's the same chicken from last time...you'll need another drink" :-)

For someone who flies once a year, the chicken vs. pasta choice is moot. I can't imagine fliers getting the same meal constantly, especially those who fly far more than I do.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by astroflyer
On LH it's about 80% in Y. Pretty impressive!
Really? I've never been addressed by name after 85 LH flights. Not that I need to but I wonder why.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
Really? I've never been addressed by name after 85 LH flights. Not that I need to but I wonder why.
Was addressed by name on GRU-MUC business this Sunday, but before that I can't really remember being addressed by name (some 40 LH flights this year).
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by maksimfa
I just made elite with United, and my input is as a business owner.

Look at a company like Ritz Carlton. People of all types will stay there, conferences, etc. Rates vary as well, however anyone that stays there is treated like million bucks.

After Hertz failed to deliver my rental car to the hotel, the concierge had an employee drive me in the hotel's Bentley down to the office to pick up the car. They did not care what my rate was, or if I used my Marriott points to get there.

If someone is sitting in First Class, they should be treated well. If you want to get into the whole 1k vs Silver status.... how about this.

Who should get better treatment? A Silver or non elite who paid for an F ticket.... or a 1k who got upgraded from the lowest Y fare?

No matter how someone got to the front of the bus, they should be treated with respect. I will give leeway to the 1k who PAID for the F class fare versus the elite who was upgraded to F off of a Y ticket.

At the same time, as others mentioned, I think frequent flyers and elites who did not get upgraded and are seated in the back of the bus should get something, even as little a a simple Thank you.
At last some sense on this topic. Flying in business the other day, upgraded from Y, I was given overt priority over my seatmate. She was an infrequent flyer but on a full fare C ticket, which cost approx half of my annual UA spend. I found this embarrassing and dumb of UA.

Rule #1: Don't make any customers feel unimportant or inferior.
Rule #2: board sufficient quantities to avoid running out on the great majority of flights.
Rule #3: treat everyone as an individual - to the 1k thank them for flying regularly with UA; to the non-elite, welcome them to UA and express a wish that they'll enjoy their flight/ choose UA again soon.
Rule #4: NEVER NEVER make someone feel inferior.
Rule #5: If someone is paying full fare C or F, recognise both their contribution to profitability and the fact that (usually) their company thinks they are important - usually important people have influence. Treat them well.
Rule #6: Fire anyone who doesn't follow Rules 1 or 4.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Indelaware
?..In my mind, the point of FF programs is to be provided with free travel not for (pseudo) perks which publicly differentiate us from one another...
Most airlines' FF programs do publicly differentiate. Early boarding, name recognition, (some) limos between gates. I don't call early boarding a "pseudo perk". It's a real benefit. Elite access security check? That's (usually) a perk, although pre-check is better. Dedicated check- in counters? Yes, please.

If I owned a car dealership and I recognized a guy who bought a new car every time he came in, I'd be rushing toward him vs Joe Schmoe who might just be kicking tires. I'm not going to risk the sure thing.

As for chicken vs pasta, the catering between the west coast and Hawaii seems to be the most monotonous. I fly a lot of other routes, and there's a bit more variety on those.

I'll say it again, there's really no reason why all can't be treated well and UA's FFs be recognized at the same time.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 28, 2013 at 5:27 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Of course people actually paying for a first-class ticket should be prioritised over those on upgrades, correct?
PMUA actually recognized this (with the star system). I had no problem with it (they were equal to 1Ks), I doubt you'll find PMUA 1Ps/2Ps who had a major issue with it either.

But that was an incredibly sophisticated manifest printing system that SHARES can't handle
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by maksimfa
...No matter how someone got to the front of the bus, they should be treated with respect. I will give leeway to the 1k who PAID for the F class fare versus the elite who was upgraded to F off of a Y ticket.....
Make up your mind.

Orwellian - all are equal, but some are more equal than others?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 28, 2013 at 7:05 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Indelaware
That said, for myself, I find it rather infuriating whenever I am asked for my meal choice prior to others, except when it is done in an arbitrary way such as by seating order. When one has resources (or in this case status), I believe, it is important to work to minimize inequities. Likewise, I believe that passengers should always be boarded by row/seat or check-in time, but never by status. In my mind, the point of FF programs is to be provided with free travel not for (pseudo) perks which publicly differentiate us from one another.
So - does that mean that you then turn down E+ and sit in the back (since you don't want it), board with the masses (vs. groups 1/2), tell the FA "just give me whatever is left over", etc?

FF programs are designed to maximize inequities, IMO as they should be - travel more / spend more, get more benefits.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Definitely not. If you're in FC or BF, you should be treated the same. And as others have mentioned, who knows which person is most important for United to keep happy, the paid first class guy who may fly United only once a year, or the gal on an upgrade who has a 50K yearly spend. In fact, the upgrade might even by from a full Y ticket that costs just about as much as the FC ticket. The gal on the upgrade may be flying Y on her own dime, but normally sits in FC on all her company trips. Everyone in FC/BF should be treated great, period.

And meal orders should be front to back when fly west, and back to front fly east.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.