Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:22 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
that's what happens when you cut capacity and aggressively sell the front cabin at a last minute discount.
And don't offer your elite pax the same discounts you're offering GMs...

Originally Posted by halls120
And this is why UA lost so many HVFs and why they are having a difficult time winning them back. I'm Silver on DL, and when I call with a question or need help, they treat me like I'm a valued customer.
UA would argue that their "all elites are alike" approach is supposed to work that way. Unfortunately, in implementation, it's meant something more like, "Take away benefits from, and treat worse than you used to, your elites."

Last edited by exerda; Aug 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by EndlosLuft
Many of us are not impressed by the new United but something that makes the least sense to me is that they have actually removed information about their frequent flyers (such as Million Miler status) from manifests.

Meanwhile Delta is providing their flight attendants with tools that reflect that it's 2013.

http://crankyflier.com/2013/08/27/de...elp-travelers/

Other airlines like Lufthansa also provide more information in their manifests to help their flight attendants with an idea who is flying with them for that flight.

I would really like to understand why United is choosing to display less information about people flying with them rather than more to their staff. Can someone enlighten me?
As of last week, this was not the case. I was welcomed by name on each flight, and 1Ks had their orders taken first (ORD-ANC-ORD).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mbarreto
Last week, IAD-GRU:

Hello Mr. Mbarreto, and thank you for being a million miler. And Hello Mr. 8A, and thank you for being a GS.

Neither of us was/is MM or GS!
I also was thanked once for being GS on a flight from JFK to LAX - I wish I was
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Au4882
As of last week, this was not the case. I was welcomed by name on each flight, and 1Ks had their orders taken first (ORD-ANC-ORD).
It's my understanding that GS and 1K shows up on the manifest along with a name. But not for example Million Miler status, or other designations like LH does including CIP (Commercially Important), VIP, etc.

The point I was making is that it's common practice in industry to provide front line staff as much information as is useful and possible.

So for example as a million miler I don't expect to be treated better. But it would be useful to the Flight attendant to know and if they wanted to for example be able to say "Thanks for being a million miler and for joining us aboard again" that they can. It's generally accepted that small gestures like this make customers appreciated. And it's my understanding that cabin crew like to have more and not less information. And that can include not just status but also PNR info so that they can help an passenger with questions about say a connecting flight.

Delta clearly understands that. United once again doesn't.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
This past week I saw the lead FA (or purser) thank all of the GS passengers in Business before my international flight took off, while pre departure beverages were being served. I'm not sure how the meals were prioritized.

On my return flight from Europe when the meal orders were taken, I was asked for a first and second choice and told I might not get my first. The person next to me in Business was thanked for being a 1k and was not asked for a second choice. We both got what we requested by the way. Two slightly different ways of accomplishing the same thing is what I observed.

I also got comped a drink on a United Express flight in coach. (after I purchased 2)

I'll admit that they recognize my DM status on Delta like clockwork, but on my most recent United flights (first in 6 months) the crews I saw did a good job for the GS and 1k folks.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis Pres
When I bought some in-flight duty free on United earlier this year, the FA asked for proof that I was 1K in order to qualify for the 10% discount. Luckily I had my 1K card with me.

So do the names get circled, or not? If I can quote an intellectual who goes by the name of Bubble, "Who's to say?"
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
over-entitled

I think the problem is the inconsistency across the board. I've seen a wide spectrum of service between the 2 legs of a r/t as recently as last week. Puts FAs and pax in a spot (noted the mention of FA frustration from continuos changes and poor communication).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:35 pm

Personally, I do not think that FAs should have access to flyer's FF information. All passengers should be treated well and the airline should only release status to those employees who need to have it, otherwise they should respect customer's privacy.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by bearwoody
When I bought some in-flight duty free on United earlier this year, the FA asked for proof that I was 1K in order to qualify for the 10% discount. Luckily I had my 1K card with me.
I think for duty-free transactions they have to swipe the membership card. I seem to recall the last time I bought something (a few years ago) it taking quite an effort for my card to swipe. I was, however, likely on my 5th or 6th cocktail so my memory can't be depended on.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by kenn0223
I think for duty-free transactions they have to swipe the membership card. I seem to recall the last time I bought something (a few years ago) it taking quite an effort for my card to swipe. I was, however, likely on my 5th or 6th cocktail so my memory can't be depended on.
This is correct, and it can take numerous swipes for it to work.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Personally, I do not think that FAs should have access to flyer's FF information. All passengers should be treated well and the airline should only release status to those employees who need to have it, otherwise they should respect customer's privacy.
As a 1K who has been asked about 20 times this year if I want the Chicken Cacciatore or the Spinach Pasta with Cream Sauce between the West Coast and Hawaii, I do not want all passengers treated equally. Most people on that flight might make one or two round-trips a year to Hawaii (if that), so they can suffer the occasional leftover dish. As long as UA caters a limited selection of First food, frequent flyers should get their choice.

I haven't seen the short rib in 2 or 3 months!!!! (obviously an aside comment...)

There's no rule against treating all passengers well and recognizing your frequent flyers. It can be done.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
I just made elite with United, and my input is as a business owner.

Look at a company like Ritz Carlton. People of all types will stay there, conferences, etc. Rates vary as well, however anyone that stays there is treated like million bucks.

After Hertz failed to deliver my rental car to the hotel, the concierge had an employee drive me in the hotel's Bentley down to the office to pick up the car. They did not care what my rate was, or if I used my Marriott points to get there.

If someone is sitting in First Class, they should be treated well. If you want to get into the whole 1k vs Silver status.... how about this.

Who should get better treatment? A Silver or non elite who paid for an F ticket.... or a 1k who got upgraded from the lowest Y fare?

No matter how someone got to the front of the bus, they should be treated with respect. I will give leeway to the 1k who PAID for the F class fare versus the elite who was upgraded to F off of a Y ticket.

At the same time, as others mentioned, I think frequent flyers and elites who did not get upgraded and are seated in the back of the bus should get something, even as little a a simple Thank you.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by sfo
By the way it was a UA crew.
Are you sure ?, I have yet to see a YVR-IAH flight be operated by a United crew. That flight runs from the Houston domestic base. What aircraft were you on ?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

There's no rule against treating all passengers well and recognizing your frequent flyers. It can be done.
Concur. This should be the goal. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Airlines offer elite status benefits because cultivating customer loyalty has demonstrated economic benefit. When done right, it's win/win. This doesn't mean that all pax are not entitled to a basic level of decent service.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As a 1K who has been asked about 20 times this year if I want the Chicken Cacciatore or the Spinach Pasta with Cream Sauce between the West Coast and Hawaii, I do not want all passengers treated equally. Most people on that flight might make one or two round-trips a year to Hawaii (if that), so they can suffer the occasional leftover dish. As long as UA caters a limited selection of First food, frequent flyers should get their choice.
Of course people actually paying for a first-class ticket should be prioritised over those on upgrades, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.