Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

While United Removes Information about Frequent Flyers for Flight Attendents ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Removing status indicators could be the next step in Jeff's plan to make FAs work base + tips. So now we have to hand the F cabin FA a $20 spot to get service.

Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Marketing 101 says to recognize and appreciate your best customers.

It costs United NOTHING to have a flight attendant say thank you for being a 1K or GS member.

I was on a flight last week from ORD-DEN (in coach) and the flight attendant came with a business card with a thank you note from the Captain. Little things like this make you feel appreciated.

I do agree that everyone in first should be treated equally though - regardless of how you got there. But that doesn't mean they should say thank you for flying every week.
+1!

FA's do say thanks for being a 1K (as do CSRs on the phone). My wife and I were on award tickets in GF returning from Saigon on UA896 from HKG to ORD. Super service and the FA brought a thank you card from the purser to my wife, who has never received anything like that. She still talks about it. And you are absolutely correct, it costs nothing to treat people well (which some FAs in Y might find useful to know as well!).

I talk to pmUA flight attendants all the time and they say time after time that COdbaUA doesn't understand what loyalty is all about.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I am of normal height. E+ may be of value to those with extra long legs. However, that is not a reason to provide them to people based on the number of miles they fly; they should be provided to people based on the length of their legs, be such people flying UA 365 days per year or once in a lifetime.
Well, I and many others of more modest height find the extra legroom to be very important. On your argument, maybe boarding should be based upon the size of carry-on bags (for those with the biggest bags need the most space).

Your argument would be a disastrous business model and would make loyalty to the airline look like a foolhardy strategy. (Should passengers of greater size be prioritized for upgrades rather than elites?)

Originally Posted by fivesixseven
Really? I've never been addressed by name after 85 LH flights. Not that I need to but I wonder why.
I've done a lot more LH flights than that and have never been addressed by name--not even on a long-haul flight in paid C when I was upgraded to F because another passenger with no status had the same assigned seat as I did. I have been insulted by LH crews, as when I turn down meals with eggs (which I can't eat) and am told, often rudely, that I should have asked for a special meal (which LH won't do). If LH FAs manage a smile, I figure I am ahead of the game.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 29, 2013 at 5:18 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Status was on manifest for my flight IAH-EWR this morning
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Status was on manifest for my flight IAH-EWR this morning
It has been stated before that GS and 1K status is on the manifest but none of the others including any level of Million Miler status is excluded.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA2MM AND 1K, HYATT GLOBALIST, AVIS PRES CLUB.
Status is on the manifest and always has been. That's how they supposedly prioritize FC meals, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Couldn't agree more - the proof is in the pudding with this issue.

Do we REALLY know for sure that 1Ks no longer have meal preference after GS? Much like the boarding order, it seems like this is something that now changes quarterly.
A few months ago the guy next to me got quite bent out of shape because my order was taken before his, and apparently I got the last of whatever it was. FA said to him that he would be back momentarily to take his order; when pushed as to why, FA explained that I had higher status (I'm assuming Mr Yelpypants was not 1K nor paid F).
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
Just got off flight where purser thanked me for being a 1K and said I was only person in Global First (yes I actually paid for it due to schedule), to which I replied I am MM and why if first full. He bemoaned new system and said all paid to upgrade. I am one if the few elites in Global First. Needles to say, the crew was VERY nice to me.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA G
I don't understand -- why do people make a big deal about MM status? Great, you hit 1MM and you're now Gold. You're not any better than any other person who made Gold that year. DYKWIA?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by EWR764
United simply is not interested in them, a reality that is underscored by the implementation and quick retrenchment of meal orders by status for 1K/GS pax. I think the policy is now officially GS then front-to-back.
I call BS on this.

On all 3 of my flights on the 25th, BKK-NRT-IAD-TPA they took 1K meal orders (for the main meal) first.

I did not get my second meal choice on NRT-IAD. I'm not sure it was because they didn't prioritize my order though. They had apparently only loaded 5 cereals for the 30 seat J cabin. Anyway, the 1K policy seems to be functioning quite well.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by unavaca
I don't understand -- why do people make a big deal about MM status? Great, you hit 1MM and you're now Gold. You're not any better than any other person who made Gold that year. DYKWIA?
You're really missing the point here - no one expects/expected a BIG deal to be made of it, it was never about that...some agents went above and beyond to thank said flyers for their loyalty. It was a nice little touch.

I'm guessing the idea of "lifetime loyalty" doesn't mean so much to you...
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomA
I call BS on this.

On all 3 of my flights on the 25th, BKK-NRT-IAD-TPA they took 1K meal orders (for the main meal) first.

I did not get my second meal choice on NRT-IAD. I'm not sure it was because they didn't prioritize my order though. They had apparently only loaded 5 cereals for the 30 seat J cabin. Anyway, the 1K policy seems to be functioning quite well.
No offense - but 3 flights on a single day isn't exactly what you would call a projectable data set.

I've generally had good luck w/meal order priority, but many others haven't.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: UA G
You're really missing the point here - no one expects/expected a BIG deal to be made of it, it was never about that...some agents went above and beyond to thank said flyers for their loyalty. It was a nice little touch.

I'm guessing the idea of "lifetime loyalty" doesn't mean so much to you...
Sure it does. 1mm provides for lifetime Gold, which beats no status or a poke in the eye. Nowhere in the terms does it include ego stroking, which is the only thing adding MM to the manifest does.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unavaca
Sure it does. 1mm provides for lifetime Gold, which beats no status or a poke in the eye. Nowhere in the terms does it include ego stroking, which is the only thing adding MM to the manifest does.
This is quite the CO position, but I'm not surprised.

A little bit of recognition (that actually has ZERO tangible cost) goes a long way. Funny that you can't see that.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
This is quite the CO position, but I'm not surprised.

A little bit of recognition (that actually has ZERO tangible cost) goes a long way. Funny that you can't see that.
^

Especially since this type of recognition has little or no cost.

What business wouldn't like to make its customers feel good about their relationship - especially at little or no cost?

United Airlines - I guess!! Go figure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.