Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
FFC == "Future Flight Credit"

When re-booking 3-March 2020 purchased tickets, if the new ticket is cheaper you will receive an ETC (good for 24 months); starting April 2021, this is now a new form of FFC
However for tickets purchased 3 March or later, the fare rules now state there is no "residual value" meaning no ETC for the fare drop and if you have to rebook again the credit is just the value of the new ticket.
If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee but no residual value will be given.
For pre-1 April 2020 purchased, FFCs will be good for 24 months from the original purchase date
  • New tickets must be reissued within 24 months from original ticket date
  • Rebooked travel must commence within 24 months from the original ticket issue date
And there are no change fees
Change Fees Are Gone For Good

For purchases starting 1-April, the lifetime of FFCs are returning to the traditional 12 months from purchase

In some cases of voluntary cancellations, FFCs may be convertible to ETCs (seems pre 1 August 2020 purchase is a factor) but this can only be requested on the phone and may take days/weeks. This may be a way to avoid the problem of "no residual credit" YMMV

Update 4 April 2020
We’re extending electronic certificates
To give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
The below needs to be updated based on the changes above

This wiki discusses the for steps in using the "future flight credit" from a canceled non-refundable ticket. Note this is for the cancellation of an entire ticket -- the process is different for a partial flown ticket

- Note some tickets are non-changeable and have no residual value if not flown:
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - first bag charged, no changes allowed

- Notify UA of the cancellation before the scheduled departure. An absolute must, if not done the entire value will be lost. But see note below about Travel Waivers

- Wait until you are ready to reschedule. When ready you will need to pay a change fee in new money - the fee varies and will depend on the fare rules of the original fare. Note in many cases there is no longer a change fee (BE and flights origining outside the USA may still have a fee)
  • The new ticket must be purchased within 1 years of the original ticket's purchase date (pre-April 2020 purchases receive 2 year FFC)
  • The new ticket will be good for 1 year from the exchange/re-scheduled date and travel must commence prior to the expiration of the original ticket (an exception is if the new travel is just a date change, in this case, a new ticket may not be issued and initial purchase date will still prevail)
  • The new ticket must be for the same named traveler
  • The portion of a ticket purchased with nonrefundable ticket credit will be nonrefundable regardless of the new ticket's fare rules
  • The change fee requires payments of new funds and cannot be funded from the original ticket's value
  • Any fare residual will issued as an ETC valid for one two year.

- If an ETC is issued, all of the funds in it must be used within one twos year of issuance.
  • The ETC can be used by anyone.
  • The one two-year limitation only limits purchasing, not travel - travel may be outside the 1 2-year limit.
  • There are no additional fees to use the ETC
  • The credit voucher can only be used for UA/UX operated flights (workaround - UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights)

To get maximum ETC (or new type FFC), an option is to pay the change fee (if any) and book the cheapest possible OW fare and throw that ticket away -- how to find that cheap fare, see Cheapest possible flight (How do I redeem this flight credit?)

If the reason for the change / cancellation is due to medical issues or death of a close relative, see Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged] for the process to get a refund of the change / redeposit fee.

Other cases for "free" changes are:
1) if the flight is covered on the day of departure by a waiver (WX related or other reasons). Note there may be a limited time frame for the change fee waiver.
2) or by an airline's change in schedule

What if it is 1 year from the original ticket purchase date and I am not ready to buy another United ticket using my canceled ticket's funds? Buy a throwaway ticket on the cheapest fare you can find. United will issue an Electronic Travel Certificate for any unused funds. That ETC is valid for one year from issuance (see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1369495-ua-electronic-travel-certificates-etc-general-q-new-combinability-policy-34.html). If you do this on the expiry date of your original ticket, you effectively extend the availability of the funds for an additional year at the cost of a throwaway ticket.

What if I purchase a refundable ticket with the credit from the non-refundable ticket, can I then cancel and get a refund? No, the funds from a non-refundable purchase remain non-refundable even if used to purchase a refundable fare.

Cannot find the canceled reservation online?
Go to Manage Reservations and look in both "Current" and "Cancelled" tabs
Find the appropriate reservation and look for "Use Future Flight Credit"

After rebooking a canceled ticket, is there a new 24-hour window for fee changes?
No, the 24-hour flexible change only applies to the original /new booking and does not extend to rebooking of canceled / changed tickets.
United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy

What if one leg is a refundable fare and another leg is non-refundable?
For a single ticket, the most restrictive fare rule applies to the entire ticket. So a refundable segment paired with a non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable. Same with the change fee, the segment with the highest change fee applies to the entire ticket.

Archive thread: How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Other related threads
Changing/Canceling/Replacing a ticket costing less than the change fee?
Print Wikipost

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Proactive Topic / Forum Reminder

This is an airline forum and the OP came here for airline advice, NOT relationship advice. Sound let's stick to airline advice.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
United can not, you will need to talk to the bank issuing the credit card to get the credit moved to another card. It can take something and may need some persistence but it can be done.
In my experience, if you've closed the credit card out with a $0 balance and don't have other cards with the bank, they will mail you a statement showing the credit and then you can call/write them to have them issue you a paper check for the credit balance.

It can be tricky if you've moved w/o mail forwarding and no longer have an online login for that bank. But at the very least you should be able to call.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brianguy11
The flight value was about $2000, I paid for it on a United credit card. We broke up a month ago, and I want to cancel the flight and get the money back. I called United, and they said since its in her name, all they can do is rebook HER on a flight before October 2020, but that I cannot use the money for anybody but HER name. After much talking with a supervisor, they discovered I could cancel the flight and pay $300, but get the rest back onto my credit card.
This sounds like a refundable ticket with a cancellation fee. What were the cities involved? What class of service? What do you see on the receipt? Does it say NONREF/0VALUAFTDEPT? Or does it say something like CXLFEE/CHGFEE?
Brianguy11 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: united
Ok I went back and checked the ticket receipt, and this was at the bottom

Fare Rules:
Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.
REFUNDABLE/CXL FEE/CHG FEE

So it looks like it is in fact refundable, but with a fee? The first two guys I talked to at United never mentioned this at all, despite 30 minutes of me pleading to get some value out of the canceled ticket. Sigh.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ok I went back and checked the ticket receipt, and this was at the bottom

Fare Rules:
Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.
REFUNDABLE/CXL FEE/CHG FEE

So it looks like it is in fact refundable, but with a fee? The first two guys I talked to at United never mentioned this at all, despite 30 minutes of me pleading to get some value out of the canceled ticket. Sigh.
This called a flexible ticket (vs non-refundable or unrestricted ticket), So it is refundable but with a fee. Usually, the fee for refunding or changing is the same. (note change fees have been waived for flight until 31 May)
Brianguy11 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, it would be in her name. But if you used your email on the reservation, and she does not have a UA account, the voucher PIN may get sent to you. Also if the individual is willing to get your voucher / ETC PIN code, then you can use it.

While possible, that is unlikely.
First of all, thank all yall for giving me the help.

She has her own UA account, which I think I put in, since I couldn't put in my own UA number when I bought her ticket. Its kinda hazy, it was like 7 months ago. Does that put the nail in the coffin on that option?
I would have liked that option, since I see some $29 basic economy and some $64 economy flights. She would be open to helping me get the value back out of the ticket.

If it matters, it was a UA flight but operated by Lufthansa.

I'm currently leaning towards canceling it, since otherwise I'd have to wait for a full year before I could get the $2000 back, even after the coronavirus problems have to last until end of july. After reading your forum link about the UA possibly bankruptcy, I agree its unlikely they would take away that credit, but its still got some risk. Plus, I was planning on canceling my credit card I originally used before next year, since it comes with a hefty annual fee.

Last edited by Brianguy11; Apr 2, 2020 at 3:34 pm
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Realistic Travel Option After 1 Year

My wife and I booked two RT non-refundable tickets (016) December 10, 2019. On March 11, 2020 we canceled out tickets. We now have a $6600 credit with United. From what I understand, we have one year from our original purchase date to re-book and use our credit or we forfeit everything. Given current and foreseeable travel options for the rest of 2020, we probably won't fly this year. How realistic is for us to re-book before December 10, 2020 and fly within 12 months of the re-booking date even if the flight is in 2021? I don't know how flexible United is with non-refundable tickets.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that's correct. Your ticket is refundable less the cancellation fee.

She has her own UA account, which I think I put in, since I couldn't put in my own UA number when I bought her ticket. Its kinda hazy, it was like 7 months ago. Does that put the nail in the coffin on that option?
I would have liked that option, since I see some $29 basic economy and some $64 economy flights. She would be open to helping me get the value back out of the ticket.
None of that is relevant for your case; don't worry.

I'm currently leaning towards canceling it, since otherwise I'd have to wait for a full year before I could get the $2000 back, even after the coronavirus problems have to last until end of july.
Here are your options:

1 - Refund now, and get everything back -- as a credit to your card -- except for the cancellation fee.
2 - Wait until closer to the travel date, hoping for a change fee waiver. If there is a waiver, change her ticket to the cheapest one you can find; the remainder will be refunded to your card.
3 - Wait until closer to the travel date, hoping for the flight she's on to be cancelled. Then, ask for a refund of the entire amount.

You should be able to find the amount of the cancellation fee in the fare rules on the itinerary, which you can look up from the United My Trips screen.

The 12-months-to-refund stuff shouldn't really apply, because you have a refundable ticket. However, it's possible UA could decide to play hardball about not waiving the cancellation fee.

Personally, I would be inclined to cancel it now and eat the cancellation fee, as that simplifies things a lot. It also protects you against a change of heart on her part regarding allowing you to retain the value of the ticket.

Originally Posted by JFP94610
My wife and I booked two RT non-refundable tickets (016) December 10, 2019. On March 11, 2020 we canceled out tickets. We now have a $6600 credit with United. From what I understand, we have one year from our original purchase date to re-book and use our credit or we forfeit everything. Given current and foreseeable travel options for the rest of 2020, we probably won't fly this year. How realistic is for us to re-book before December 10, 2020 and fly within 12 months of the re-booking date even if the flight is in 2021? I don't know how flexible United is with non-refundable tickets.
Check the Wiki for this thread. While it may or may not be possible to make a reservation on, say, December 1, 2020 for travel through the end of the schedule, most UA tickets booked prior to March 2 allow you to get residual value in an Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC). Call near the ticket expiration and ask if you can use your credit for travel in 2021. If they say no, book the cheapest tickets you can find (LAX-SFO, ORD-DTW, something like that). You'll get an ETC for the balance of each ticket. Those ETCs -- which can likely be combined -- will be valid for one year from the date you make the change -- so, if you get an ETC on December 1, 2020, you can use it until December 1, 2021, for travel until approximately November 1, 2022.

You might want to check the fare rules for the original ticket to verify. You'll be looking for the word "residual" -- "ignored" Is bad (that means UA keeps it), whereas "refunded via MCO" or similar language is good (that means ETC). Since you've already cancelled your flight, in the extremely likely case that you didn't save a copy of the fare rules, you can look them up using ExpertFlyer Pro. There's a 5-day free trial available; put in your origin, destination, original travel dates and class of service, and ticketing date. Then, you should be able to identify the fares and see the treatment of residual amounts.
Brianguy11 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Hello all,

I am looking into opportunities to reprice summer travel, seeing that (in my case) fares have gone way down. My reservation is eligible for the COVID-19 waiver. I see that the cancellation page now offers the option to receive an ETC in lieu of a future travel credit.

Can such ETCs be applied to multiple future reservations - or in other words, can they carry a balance? I am familiar with VDB compensation which is flexible, but unsure if ETCs issued when canceling must be used in one time.

I'm skeptical because the waiver says that in the case of a voluntary change, no refund will be given if the new fare is lower.... is it possible that canceling and rebooking is a better approach?

Last edited by Pat Plus; Apr 2, 2020 at 10:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pat Plus
Can such ETCs be applied to multiple future reservations - or in other words, can they carry a balance? I am familiar with VDB compensation which is flexible, but unsure if ETCs issued when canceling must be used in one time.
Yes; ETCs are ETCs. They retain their value until exhausted.

I'm skeptical because the waiver says that in the case of a voluntary change, no refund will be given if the new fare is lower.... is it possible that canceling and rebooking is a better approach?
Are you talking about reservations made since March 2? If ETCs are being offered for voluntary cancellations of non-refundable, post-March 2 reservations, they are vastly superior to having a travel credit, provided that your travel will be on UA-operated flights, for several reasons, including that one. I would be shocked if UA were actually offering this.

For reservations made prior to March 2, in most cases changing a nonrefundable ticket to a lower fare is allowed and will result in the difference being returned in an ETC.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes; ETCs are ETCs. They retain their value until exhausted.
Fantastic. Thanks for the speedy response.

Are you talking about reservations made since March 2? If ETCs are being offered for voluntary cancellations of non-refundable, post-March 2 reservations, they are vastly superior to having a travel credit, provided that your travel will be on UA-operated flights, for several reasons, including that one. I would be shocked if UA were actually offering this.
Yup, reservation made on March 4th.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, reservation made on March 4th.
I guess I should walk back the advice a little bit, actually: if UA is really doing this -- and there's no indication of it in the waiver language, FWIW -- it's possible that they're also instituting a new kind of no-residual-value ETC at the same time. Nobody has reported receiving such an ETC, but I can't rule out the possibility.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:50 pm

I guess I should walk back the advice a little bit, actually: if UA is really doing this -- and there's no indication of it in the waiver language, FWIW -- it's possible that they're also instituting a new kind of no-residual-value ETC at the same time. Nobody has reported receiving such an ETC, but I can't rule out the possibility.
Fair enough.

Note that I have found the following new language at united.com/refunds: "If you’ve previously canceled your trip, you’ll soon be able to convert your unused ticket into a travel certificate for more flexibility. Check back soon." So it does look like ETCs will be broadly available for canceled reservations soon.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:34 pm

Fair enough.

Note that I have found the following new language at united.com/refunds: "If you’ve previously canceled your trip, you’ll soon be able to convert your unused ticket into a travel certificate for more flexibility. Check back soon." So it does look like ETCs will be broadly available for canceled reservations soon.
As mentioned there may be a difference for flights 2 March and earlier and 3 March and later bookings. This still an evolving area.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:45 pm

Someone had to take one for the team... so I tried. Cancelled my reservation and chose to receive an ETC. It arrived within seconds and the wording could not be any clearer: "If the face amount of this Travel Certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted or the expiration date has been reached, whichever comes first."

Then I rebooked.

I saved $1,000.
jsloan and Xyzzy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.