Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
FFC == "Future Flight Credit"

When re-booking 3-March 2020 purchased tickets, if the new ticket is cheaper you will receive an ETC (good for 24 months); starting April 2021, this is now a new form of FFC
However for tickets purchased 3 March or later, the fare rules now state there is no "residual value" meaning no ETC for the fare drop and if you have to rebook again the credit is just the value of the new ticket.
If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee but no residual value will be given.
For pre-1 April 2020 purchased, FFCs will be good for 24 months from the original purchase date
  • New tickets must be reissued within 24 months from original ticket date
  • Rebooked travel must commence within 24 months from the original ticket issue date
And there are no change fees
Change Fees Are Gone For Good

For purchases starting 1-April, the lifetime of FFCs are returning to the traditional 12 months from purchase

In some cases of voluntary cancellations, FFCs may be convertible to ETCs (seems pre 1 August 2020 purchase is a factor) but this can only be requested on the phone and may take days/weeks. This may be a way to avoid the problem of "no residual credit" YMMV

Update 4 April 2020
We’re extending electronic certificates
To give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
The below needs to be updated based on the changes above

This wiki discusses the for steps in using the "future flight credit" from a canceled non-refundable ticket. Note this is for the cancellation of an entire ticket -- the process is different for a partial flown ticket

- Note some tickets are non-changeable and have no residual value if not flown:
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - first bag charged, no changes allowed

- Notify UA of the cancellation before the scheduled departure. An absolute must, if not done the entire value will be lost. But see note below about Travel Waivers

- Wait until you are ready to reschedule. When ready you will need to pay a change fee in new money - the fee varies and will depend on the fare rules of the original fare. Note in many cases there is no longer a change fee (BE and flights origining outside the USA may still have a fee)
  • The new ticket must be purchased within 1 years of the original ticket's purchase date (pre-April 2020 purchases receive 2 year FFC)
  • The new ticket will be good for 1 year from the exchange/re-scheduled date and travel must commence prior to the expiration of the original ticket (an exception is if the new travel is just a date change, in this case, a new ticket may not be issued and initial purchase date will still prevail)
  • The new ticket must be for the same named traveler
  • The portion of a ticket purchased with nonrefundable ticket credit will be nonrefundable regardless of the new ticket's fare rules
  • The change fee requires payments of new funds and cannot be funded from the original ticket's value
  • Any fare residual will issued as an ETC valid for one two year.

- If an ETC is issued, all of the funds in it must be used within one twos year of issuance.
  • The ETC can be used by anyone.
  • The one two-year limitation only limits purchasing, not travel - travel may be outside the 1 2-year limit.
  • There are no additional fees to use the ETC
  • The credit voucher can only be used for UA/UX operated flights (workaround - UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights)

To get maximum ETC (or new type FFC), an option is to pay the change fee (if any) and book the cheapest possible OW fare and throw that ticket away -- how to find that cheap fare, see Cheapest possible flight (How do I redeem this flight credit?)

If the reason for the change / cancellation is due to medical issues or death of a close relative, see Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged] for the process to get a refund of the change / redeposit fee.

Other cases for "free" changes are:
1) if the flight is covered on the day of departure by a waiver (WX related or other reasons). Note there may be a limited time frame for the change fee waiver.
2) or by an airline's change in schedule

What if it is 1 year from the original ticket purchase date and I am not ready to buy another United ticket using my canceled ticket's funds? Buy a throwaway ticket on the cheapest fare you can find. United will issue an Electronic Travel Certificate for any unused funds. That ETC is valid for one year from issuance (see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1369495-ua-electronic-travel-certificates-etc-general-q-new-combinability-policy-34.html). If you do this on the expiry date of your original ticket, you effectively extend the availability of the funds for an additional year at the cost of a throwaway ticket.

What if I purchase a refundable ticket with the credit from the non-refundable ticket, can I then cancel and get a refund? No, the funds from a non-refundable purchase remain non-refundable even if used to purchase a refundable fare.

Cannot find the canceled reservation online?
Go to Manage Reservations and look in both "Current" and "Cancelled" tabs
Find the appropriate reservation and look for "Use Future Flight Credit"

After rebooking a canceled ticket, is there a new 24-hour window for fee changes?
No, the 24-hour flexible change only applies to the original /new booking and does not extend to rebooking of canceled / changed tickets.
United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy

What if one leg is a refundable fare and another leg is non-refundable?
For a single ticket, the most restrictive fare rule applies to the entire ticket. So a refundable segment paired with a non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable. Same with the change fee, the segment with the highest change fee applies to the entire ticket.

Archive thread: How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Other related threads
Changing/Canceling/Replacing a ticket costing less than the change fee?
Print Wikipost

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: One or two :)
My preferred outcome would be refund of course, but unlikely due to the fare bucket that it was originally purchased from. The flight change time is around 4 hours, but now one of the segments is back in Economy. As long as I can grab the total value of the ticket and use the value over the next 24 months as stated due to the travel waiver, this will work.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COIAHLGW
My preferred outcome would be refund of course, but unlikely due to the fare bucket that it was originally purchased from. The flight change time is around 4 hours, but now one of the segments is back in Economy. As long as I can grab the total value of the ticket and use the value over the next 24 months as stated due to the travel waiver, this will work.
For a four-hour change, you could try your luck with a DOT complaint. If you decide to go that route, I would call, ask for a refund, and, in the very likely case that it's denied, file a DOT complaint citing the schedule change as being inconvenient (leaves too early; arrives too late), that you wouldn't have booked it with a stop in the middle, and that the schedule change policy at the time you booked was 2 hours.

We haven't gotten a lot of results back on how the DOT is viewing this -- they don't define what constitutes a "significant" change requiring a refund.

If you just want to use the travel credit in the next 24 months, and you're OK with a credit that can only be used for flights operated by United -- no partner airlines -- you can take an ETC now. That can be used by anyone, so it won't matter that your family can't join you on a rescheduled trip in December. You'd be able to save the surplus value for your next trip.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: One or two :)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you just want to use the travel credit in the next 24 months, and you're OK with a credit that can only be used for flights operated by United -- no partner airlines -- you can take an ETC now. That can be used by anyone, so it won't matter that your family can't join you on a rescheduled trip in December. You'd be able to save the surplus value for your next trip.
I appreciate your help.... The ETC will be OK, and finding a future ticket out of IAH should not be difficult, in theory
jsloan likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
I am sure this has been answered elsewhere -- sorry -- but I have a bunch of tickets I cancelled when the COVID waivers started. Now when I go online and look at them, I have the option to take a FFC or convert to an ETC. The ETC will be valid for two years from the date it is issued. I prefer ETCs but would rather wait to convert to maximize the time I have to use them. Which begs the question -- is there a deadline to convert to ETC? Could that go away at some point?
Old May 1, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BookerNYC
Which begs the question -- is there a deadline to convert to ETC? Could that go away at some point?
Nobody knows. My personal expectation is that it could go away at any point.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:45 am

i was unable to get an ETC for past few weeks online for a ticket i didn’t really want anymore.

then, i made a modest change w/ a ~$10 add/collect.

few days later i noticed i now had the ETC option at cancellation.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:36 pm

Does anyone know United's policy of refund or ETC for (involuntary/voluntary cancelled) partially flown tickets? e.g., If I make a round trip reservation from SFO-NRT., fly the outbound, but then cancelled the return, will I get any ETC for the residual value? If United cancels the return, or significantly changes the schedule, can I get a refund? (then fly back via a cheaper fare with ANA?)
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brandenz
Does anyone know United's policy of refund or ETC for (involuntary/voluntary cancelled) partially flown tickets? e.g., If I make a round trip reservation from SFO-NRT., fly the outbound, but then cancelled the return, will I get any ETC for the residual value? If United cancels the return, or significantly changes the schedule, can I get a refund? (then fly back via a cheaper fare with ANA?)
Beleive generally only FFC and 12 months from the original departure date to use. You will be bound by the original fare routes. If you try to go for a voluntary refund, the ticket will be recalculated as a one-way outbound and the reminder with be available -- this will again dependent on fare rules and you may get far less than what you might expect. If UA cancels and offers no alternative, then there is a chance of a refund.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Beleive generally only FFC and 12 months from the original departure date to use. You will be bound by the original fare routes. If you try to go for a voluntary refund, the ticket will be recalculated as a one-way outbound and the reminder with be available -- this will again dependent on fare rules and you may get far less than what you might expect. If UA cancels and offers no alternative, then there is a chance of a refund.
Thanks! If UA cancels or changes the schedule significantly (e.g. non-stop to stop or 2+ hours), how would the refund be calculated?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brandenz
Thanks! If UA cancels or changes the schedule significantly (e.g. non-stop to stop or 2+ hours), how would the refund be calculated?
Non-stop to 1-stop may not qualify for a refund, the change back to 2 hours did not change that. (although in most cases, the adding of a stop may trip the 2-hour policy).

If a refund situation does occur, it will depend of the fare construction to determine the refund. In the simple case of the outbound and return are that same fare, then the fare refund would be roughly 50% ( taxes / airport fees / .... will depend on circumstances, as they may not be symmetrical) . Short answer, there is no short answer.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If a refund situation does occur, it will depend of the fare construction to determine the refund. In the simple case of the outbound and return are that same fare, then the fare refund would be roughly 50% ( taxes / airport fees / .... will depend on circumstances, as they may not be symmetrical) . Short answer, there is no short answer.
Right: the fare refund itself is exactly what you might think: the unused pieces are refunded. The problem is, airfare is so complicated in the first place that it can be very challenging to figure out what the unused pieces are unless you planned for this in advance. I'm not aware of any foolproof way to determine the fare construction for a ticket after it's been purchased.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:40 am

Right: the fare refund itself is exactly what you might think: the unused pieces are refunded. The problem is, airfare is so complicated in the first place that it can be very challenging to figure out what the unused pieces are unless you planned for this in advance. I'm not aware of any foolproof way to determine the fare construction for a ticket after it's been purchased.
Delta shows the details on eticket email receipt
Fare Details: LAX DL X/NYC DL SJU 484.80 USD484.80END XF LAX4.5JFK4.5

Does a UA eticket receipt printed at the airport kiosk still have fare details?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
Delta shows the details on eticket email receipt
Fare Details: LAX DL X/NYC DL SJU 484.80 USD484.80END XF LAX4.5JFK4.5
Nice

Originally Posted by Colin
Does a UA eticket receipt printed at the airport kiosk still have fare details?
Good question. I don't have one lying around to check, unfortunately.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Nice

Good question. I don't have one lying around to check, unfortunately.
I don't think CO's kiosk receipts ever showed the fare calc -- and I don't think when the merger happened that changed.

If you get an agent to print the ITIN on ATB stock though that will show the fare calc on the first page... but finding agents who know how to do this outside of an INVOL rebooking transaction seems to be getting fewer fewer.

Lincoln
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Are we allowed to convert cancelled PNRs to ETCs/payment back to original card now? I'm hearing from co-workers that UA is allowing refunds to original form of payment or something like that? If so, there's around 3k worth of stuff I would love to have back in my possession and not with United, or at least in the form of ETCs. thanks

Edit: I see what Colin posted above, but I couldn't find any such options anywhere on my MP account. Where did you find this option? Thanks again guys!
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.