Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
FFC == "Future Flight Credit"

When re-booking 3-March 2020 purchased tickets, if the new ticket is cheaper you will receive an ETC (good for 24 months); starting April 2021, this is now a new form of FFC
However for tickets purchased 3 March or later, the fare rules now state there is no "residual value" meaning no ETC for the fare drop and if you have to rebook again the credit is just the value of the new ticket.
If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee but no residual value will be given.
For pre-1 April 2020 purchased, FFCs will be good for 24 months from the original purchase date
  • New tickets must be reissued within 24 months from original ticket date
  • Rebooked travel must commence within 24 months from the original ticket issue date
And there are no change fees
Change Fees Are Gone For Good

For purchases starting 1-April, the lifetime of FFCs are returning to the traditional 12 months from purchase

In some cases of voluntary cancellations, FFCs may be convertible to ETCs (seems pre 1 August 2020 purchase is a factor) but this can only be requested on the phone and may take days/weeks. This may be a way to avoid the problem of "no residual credit" YMMV

Update 4 April 2020
We’re extending electronic certificates
To give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
The below needs to be updated based on the changes above

This wiki discusses the for steps in using the "future flight credit" from a canceled non-refundable ticket. Note this is for the cancellation of an entire ticket -- the process is different for a partial flown ticket

- Note some tickets are non-changeable and have no residual value if not flown:
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - first bag charged, no changes allowed

- Notify UA of the cancellation before the scheduled departure. An absolute must, if not done the entire value will be lost. But see note below about Travel Waivers

- Wait until you are ready to reschedule. When ready you will need to pay a change fee in new money - the fee varies and will depend on the fare rules of the original fare. Note in many cases there is no longer a change fee (BE and flights origining outside the USA may still have a fee)
  • The new ticket must be purchased within 1 years of the original ticket's purchase date (pre-April 2020 purchases receive 2 year FFC)
  • The new ticket will be good for 1 year from the exchange/re-scheduled date and travel must commence prior to the expiration of the original ticket (an exception is if the new travel is just a date change, in this case, a new ticket may not be issued and initial purchase date will still prevail)
  • The new ticket must be for the same named traveler
  • The portion of a ticket purchased with nonrefundable ticket credit will be nonrefundable regardless of the new ticket's fare rules
  • The change fee requires payments of new funds and cannot be funded from the original ticket's value
  • Any fare residual will issued as an ETC valid for one two year.

- If an ETC is issued, all of the funds in it must be used within one twos year of issuance.
  • The ETC can be used by anyone.
  • The one two-year limitation only limits purchasing, not travel - travel may be outside the 1 2-year limit.
  • There are no additional fees to use the ETC
  • The credit voucher can only be used for UA/UX operated flights (workaround - UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights)

To get maximum ETC (or new type FFC), an option is to pay the change fee (if any) and book the cheapest possible OW fare and throw that ticket away -- how to find that cheap fare, see Cheapest possible flight (How do I redeem this flight credit?)

If the reason for the change / cancellation is due to medical issues or death of a close relative, see Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged] for the process to get a refund of the change / redeposit fee.

Other cases for "free" changes are:
1) if the flight is covered on the day of departure by a waiver (WX related or other reasons). Note there may be a limited time frame for the change fee waiver.
2) or by an airline's change in schedule

What if it is 1 year from the original ticket purchase date and I am not ready to buy another United ticket using my canceled ticket's funds? Buy a throwaway ticket on the cheapest fare you can find. United will issue an Electronic Travel Certificate for any unused funds. That ETC is valid for one year from issuance (see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1369495-ua-electronic-travel-certificates-etc-general-q-new-combinability-policy-34.html). If you do this on the expiry date of your original ticket, you effectively extend the availability of the funds for an additional year at the cost of a throwaway ticket.

What if I purchase a refundable ticket with the credit from the non-refundable ticket, can I then cancel and get a refund? No, the funds from a non-refundable purchase remain non-refundable even if used to purchase a refundable fare.

Cannot find the canceled reservation online?
Go to Manage Reservations and look in both "Current" and "Cancelled" tabs
Find the appropriate reservation and look for "Use Future Flight Credit"

After rebooking a canceled ticket, is there a new 24-hour window for fee changes?
No, the 24-hour flexible change only applies to the original /new booking and does not extend to rebooking of canceled / changed tickets.
United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy

What if one leg is a refundable fare and another leg is non-refundable?
For a single ticket, the most restrictive fare rule applies to the entire ticket. So a refundable segment paired with a non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable. Same with the change fee, the segment with the highest change fee applies to the entire ticket.

Archive thread: How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Other related threads
Changing/Canceling/Replacing a ticket costing less than the change fee?
Print Wikipost

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Are we allowed to convert cancelled PNRs to ETCs/payment back to original card now? I'm hearing from co-workers that UA is allowing refunds to original form of payment or something like that?
I also accepted an ETC when I should have insisted on a refund. Would be great if there is a way to refund my ETC
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are we allowed to convert cancelled PNRs to ETCs/payment back to original card now? I'm hearing from co-workers that UA is allowing refunds to original form of payment or something like that? If so, there's around 3k worth of stuff I would love to have back in my possession and not with United, or at least in the form of ETCs. thanks ...
FFC credit can generally be converted to ETC, if the online option is not available, you will need to call.

As for getting a refund for a cancelled flight still as FFC that meets the "new" old refund policy, that should be possible.

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I also accepted an ETC when I should have insisted on a refund. Would be great if there is a way to refund my ETC
Have not heard of anyone converting an ETC to refund. It will definitely be harder as the underlying flight details are no longer connected (to see if eligible for a refund)

Edit: I see what Colin posted above, but I couldn't find any such options anywhere on my MP account. Where did you find this option? Thanks again guys!
pmUA use to provide the fare breakdown by segments, it no longer does, For awhile you could go to the SaudiaAir site to see it for UA tickets, but Saudia.com UA e-ticket information accurate? (not longer avialable for 016 tickets?)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2020 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:15 pm

you'll for sure want to jump through the hoops of not accepting the FFC and instead getting an ETC if your new flight is cheaper because UA's current waiver doesn't give residual value back for voluntary changes.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I get a FFC or ETC for a trip that was supposed to happen in July 2020, and re-book to use it for a trip in, say, Nov. 2020, and then the Nov. 2020 trip has a schedule change of less than 6h, can I cancel that and then still re-use the FFC/ETC funds on yet another booking, as long as it is before the expiration of the original FFC/ETC?

Or is it more like a one-time thing, I have to accept the less-than-6h schedule change in Nov. 2020 or lose the value of the FFC/ETC.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bear96
If I get a FFC or ETC for a trip that was supposed to happen in July 2020, and re-book to use it for a trip in, say, Nov. 2020, and then the Nov. 2020 trip has a schedule change of less than 6h, can I cancel that and then still re-use the FFC/ETC funds on yet another booking, as long as it is before the expiration of the original FFC/ETC?

Or is it more like a one-time thing, I have to accept the less-than-6h schedule change in Nov. 2020 or lose the value of the FFC/ETC.
6 hours is history ( we hope) and it is back to 2 hours for a refund.

Plus remember ETCs have a two year from date of issue and bookings made before 3 March, an FFC has a 2 year life from purchase date,

And for any trip booked before 3 March you can change for free any 2020 flight if done by 30 June (no reason to go to ETC/FFC) (a chance the 30 June might be extended)

But if you do go the FFC/ETC route and a refundable situation happens, if the FFC is used, you can get an actual refund. With an ETC rebook, you would get another ETC (reports are it is a new ETC).
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I wish too. Most of my co-workers who travel are also 1Ks so maybe a little bit more "under the table" exceptions from the 1K desk, not sure. For now I'm just trying to convert my cancelled PNRs into ETCs.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
FFC credit can generally be converted to ETC, if the online option is not available, you will need to call.

As for getting a refund for a cancelled flight still as FFC that meets the "new" old refund policy, that should be possible.

Have not heard of anyone converting an ETC to refund. It will definitely be harder as the underlying flight details are no longer connected (to see if eligible for a refund)

pmUA use to provide the fare breakdown by segments, it no longer does, For awhile you could go to the SaudiaAir site to see it for UA tickets, but Saudia.com UA e-ticket information accurate? (not longer avialable for 016 tickets?)
I find it ridiculous with cancelled PNRs how if you have $300 on it and you buy a $100 ticket, then the $200 goes to waste. It doesn't work like that for ETCs right? If I use $100 from a $300 etc I can reuse remaining $200 on future ticket right?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:59 pm

... I find it ridiculous with cancelled PNRs how if you have $300 on it and you buy a $100 ticket, then the $200 goes to waste. ...
That is not true for most, it only refers to new tickets purchased starting 3 March and it comes with no change fees for the next 12 months,

...It doesn't work like that for ETCs right? If I use $100 from a $300 etc I can reuse remaining $200 on future ticket right?
correct
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just realized a pitfall to convert from FFC to ETC. Sometimes the conversion works instantly but it can error out for manual processing. The latter can easily take one month for refund department to process. During this one-month period, you cannot access either FFC or ETC should you have a need to book a new ticket.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:56 am

I have a FFC for a trip I cancelled back in April. I was thinking of re-booking it (to Hawaii) in November or December 2020.

If things are still dicey with COVID come November, can I cancel and get a refund, ETC or FFC?

The fares on the dates I am looking at in Nov/Dec are less than my FFC. Is there anyway to get this residual value or will I forfeit it?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milemonkey
I have a FFC for a trip I cancelled back in April. I was thinking of re-booking it (to Hawaii) in November or December 2020.

If things are still dicey with COVID come November, can I cancel and get a refund, ETC or FFC?
Refund? Not for voluntary changes.
ETC or FFC: FFC definitely, provided you book during the no-change-fee promotion (currently extended through July 31); ETC would be at UA's discretion.

The fares on the dates I am looking at in Nov/Dec are less than my FFC. Is there anyway to get this residual value or will I forfeit it?
AFAIK, UA is still allowing the conversion of FFC to ETC upon request. If you convert to an ETC first, you'd definitely keep the residual as part of the same ETC. If you don't, it would depend upon the fare rules from your original fare. Most (but not all) fares ticketed prior to March 2 allow for the issuance of an ETC when there is a residual amount on an FFC.

The only downside to converting to an ETC prior to your booking is that it eliminates the possibility of getting a refund to your original form of credit if there is a schedule change or delay on your Hawaii flight. If you use FFC, you retain that option; if you switch to an ETC first, your only option would be to get a replacement ETC.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:16 am

jsloan -

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.

One last question - How do I convert this FFC to a ETC? I would definitely want to do this to save over $500.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jsloan -

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.

One last question - How do I convert this FFC to a ETC? I would definitely want to do this to save over $500.
You. may see an option to do this online if you look at the reservation that has FFC available; if not, you may be able to call UA and have them convert it. However, whereas the online conversions are instantaneous, the last I heard, there was a sizable delay involved (days? weeks?) in getting an ETC issued when the conversion was done by phone.

When was your original booking? If it was prior to March 2, and you're not able to do the ETC conversion online, I'd ask the agent if you'd get an ETC for the residual amount if you applied the FFC now. (If it was after March 2, the answer would be 'no', and a conversion is your only option). That way, you don't have to risk fares going up while you're waiting for an ETC to be delivered.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:27 am

The original booking was June 2019. The original flight was March 31, 2020.

So you think if I call they will immediately issue the ETC and then I could book the new flight?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you think if I call they will immediately issue the ETC and then I could book the new flight?
I think if you call and ask them to convert it to an ETC, it'll take a while.

However, I think if you call and ask them, "if I use this credit to book a less expensive flight, I'll get a credit for the difference, right?" they'll probably say yes. Then, you can use the FFC either right then on the phone, or online, and you'd get an ETC for the balance issued immediately. Nearly all UA fares in June 2019 had this provision -- in fact, that's actually the primary purpose of this thread. ETC conversions on demand are new during COVID. Prior to April, if you wanted to convert FFC to an ETC, you'd buy an inexpensive throwaway ticket and you'd get the rest as an ETC. I'd wager at least 95% of UA's non-Basic Economy fares worked this way, (If your ticket was BE, there's no hard-and-fast rule for how this works, because they weren't supposed to be changeable in the first place).

Don't ask me why one path takes a long time and the other is instant -- nobody's been able to figure that out.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:20 am

Just to re-enforce what has been said -- best to do this online if offered (may not be offered if originally purchased with Chase Points or some form of UA credit or BasicEconomy (?) fare, otherwise most likely will be an online option)

However, since you have FFC of a pre 3-March booking, converting that booking to a future flight, and ETC will be issued for any decrease in cost. The no residual will apply to the new booking, not the old booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.