Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
We been down this path multiple times, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-edition.html

Drop the "Dedicated 1K customer service line", just higher priority for the Premier Line

Add better IRROPs protection and perhaps a hotel for WX irrops
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:44 pm

There are existing threads you should review...

If I were you, I would shoot for Platinum, or even Gold. No MR, no PQM Maximizer purchases. Stick with UA though if DEN and SFO are your bases.

Accumulate the extra money that you would have spent on MR / Maximizer, and spend it on the flights where you want to be assured of an upgrade.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by aku
Throwing this out to my FT friends. I've been 1K for about a decade now. My business travel ended years ago, and my "natural" personal travel is 65-70K BIS/year, at a cost of about $6-7k. For a few years I did MRs to reach 100K, and the last couple of years I've paid maybe $3K/yr on Accelerators to maintain 1K status. Looking at the new PQD requirements, I'm already paying what UA wants, but they won't count the Accelerators, so I would need to go back to MRs (or pay more for existing flights) to keep my 1K. I may become one of those people that UA is going to lose, and in my case, they will lose pure revenue--they were getting my Accelerator $$ with no corresponding costs.

My UA CC will have at least $25K in charges, so reaching Platinum is no big deal. I might decide to keep going for 1K, but I have to think seriously about what I'm getting for that extra $3-4K. Here's the list I took from .bomb of 1K vs. Platinum bennies:
  • CPU upgrade 24 hours earlier
  • Instant M-class upgrades
  • 6 GPUs
  • 2 more RPUs
  • 25% more RDMs (200% vs. 175%)
  • Dedicated 1K customer service line
  • $60/yr reimbursement for Chase credit card fees

I don't use half of these, and I use my GPUs as RPUs most of the time, so I came up with a "value to me" of about $2500/yr for the 1K stretch, which means it's not worth it to me to push for 1K.

Are there any other 1K-exclusive benefits that I'm forgetting?
I don't think you are missing anything. The only comment I'll make is if you are just traveling for pleasure, perhaps you can get down to about 5cpm spend at the PLAT level? 10 cpm seems high unless there are short legs in your personal life.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Earlier CPUs are not really the benefit. CPU priority is the real benefit. I'm always a little wary that people don't quite understand how CPUs work when they think of the earlier clearing as a substantial benefit.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:43 pm
aku

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
We been down this path multiple times, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-edition.html

Drop the "Dedicated 1K customer service line", just higher priority for the Premier Line

Add better IRROPs protection and perhaps a hotel for WX irrops
Thanks for the links - I was having trouble doing a search for "1K"....
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by juniorsu:20430883
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Where did you get this $200 - 250 amount from? Whoever gave you this number is terribly wrong.

A GPU (which also comes from R-space) can be used in lieu of a cash + miles international upgrade, which is $600 + 30,000 miles to Asia and $550 + 20,000 miles to Europe.
Just going off average on CC
Like a call or a put option, any 1/14 instruments are losing value fast. Saw a SFO-based GS offering his GPUs for $125 with advice. At the end of December they were selling as low as $200. For those folks trying to get summer prices on expiring instruments, they are in for a rude surprise.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Like a call or a put option, any 1/14 instruments are losing value fast. Saw a SFO-based GS offering his GPUs for $125 with advice. At the end of December they were selling as low as $200. For those folks trying to get summer prices on expiring instruments, they are in for a rude surprise.
Although if they requalified for 2014, they can probably get them extended through March or April.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
1K is definitely worth it for me this year. As an ex-pat, we take 1 family trip back to the US each year and I bring my family along on one of my business trips. I found days with available R space so I can get two confirmed business seats for about $6,000 less than what it would cost me to buy two P fare tickets.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by aku
Throwing this out to my FT friends. I've been 1K for about a decade now. My business travel ended years ago, and my "natural" personal travel is 65-70K BIS/year, at a cost of about $6-7k. For a few years I did MRs to reach 100K, and the last couple of years I've paid maybe $3K/yr on Accelerators to maintain 1K status. Looking at the new PQD requirements, I'm already paying what UA wants, but they won't count the Accelerators, so I would need to go back to MRs (or pay more for existing flights) to keep my 1K. I may become one of those people that UA is going to lose, and in my case, they will lose pure revenue--they were getting my Accelerator $$ with no corresponding costs.

My UA CC will have at least $25K in charges, so reaching Platinum is no big deal. I might decide to keep going for 1K, but I have to think seriously about what I'm getting for that extra $3-4K. Here's the list I took from .bomb of 1K vs. Platinum bennies:
  • CPU upgrade 24 hours earlier
  • Instant M-class upgrades
  • 6 GPUs
  • 2 more RPUs
  • 25% more RDMs (200% vs. 175%)
  • Dedicated 1K customer service line
  • $60/yr reimbursement for Chase credit card fees

I don't use half of these, and I use my GPUs as RPUs most of the time, so I came up with a "value to me" of about $2500/yr for the 1K stretch, which means it's not worth it to me to push for 1K.

Are there any other 1K-exclusive benefits that I'm forgetting?
If you end up using GPUs domestic, IMHO those are the only things worth considering the 1K bump, do I would stick with Plat.

3000 USd will also buy you a lot of HOD upgrades on domestic too!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I didn't see a lot of IRROPs discussions in the winter storm thread, but on a very cheap PDX-SFO-PHL ticket home Wednesday night, I was able to have the 1K desk rebook me to anywhere I wanted (ORD, IAD, EWR) since no UA planes were arriving/departing from PHL. After five rebookings (flights kept getting cancelled), the early morning PDX-EWR stuck, with an extra ZFV added on to get back to PHL. (The SEPTA nightmare is for another thread).

IRROPs recovery is sometimes undersold on this thread. It's awesome when you need it.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:17 am
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
For me, it's worth it almost exclusively for the GPUs and the higher position in the priority queue. For example my wife and I need to be in Myanmar in April and haven't booked yet. But for about $2000 each, 4 GPUs, and 80,000 miles each (on OZ for the last leg from ICN), we can get to RGN and back from the East Coast in confirmed business class all the way (I'm surprised the TPAC R inventory is still available). That saves us at least $10,000. We're lucky we can be flexible in our dates though.

If I only flew domestically or only took one international trip per year, Platinum would be all I wanted. I am always reluctant to use our RPUs since a 3 hour flight never seems to me to justify use of an instrument (and since we usually get a CPU anyway) ... well, and also because so many of our domestic trips are on single cabin RJs.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by xox
For me, it's worth it almost exclusively for the GPUs and the higher position in the priority queue. For example my wife and I need to be in Myanmar in April and haven't booked yet. But for about $2000 each, 4 GPUs, and 80,000 miles each (on OZ for the last leg from ICN), we can get to RGN and back from the East Coast in confirmed business class all the way (I'm surprised the TPAC R inventory is still available). That saves us at least $10,000. We're lucky we can be flexible in our dates though.

If I only flew domestically or only took one international trip per year, Platinum would be all I wanted. I am always reluctant to use our RPUs since a 3 hour flight never seems to me to justify use of an instrument (and since we usually get a CPU anyway) ... well, and also because so many of our domestic trips are on single cabin RJs.
Yes, but when applied RPU's don't clear on transcons, using them on a 3 hour flight is better than watching them expire.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:35 am
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Yes, but when applied RPU's don't clear on transcons, using them on a 3 hour flight is better than watching them expire.
Yes of course ... so at the end of the year I end up burning them on something like IAD-CHS which is about an hour in the air, and on which I probably would have gotten a CPU anyway. I believe the only 2-cabin segments from my home base (CHS) are IAD-CHS/CHS-IAD and ORD-CHS/CHS-ORD.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Earlier CPUs are not really the benefit. CPU priority is the real benefit. I'm always a little wary that people don't quite understand how CPUs work when they think of the earlier clearing as a substantial benefit.
Clearing at all would be a benefit. I'm 1 for 7 so far this year as a 1K.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
It's actually both. If R space is available, clearing early means inventory is removed from others who might be tempted to upgrade with an instrument.

But on the flipside, sometimes (like when I SDC onto a flight), it would be nice if they held back some space until at least T-12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.