Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by BoSoxinBkk
All my UA and LH travel is in Z class which is not upgradeable.
Although Z fares are technically not upgradable, I do get cash offers to upgrade Z to F quite often on UA flights to/from the USA, usually within 24 hours of the flight but occasionally before that.

If your name means "Red Sox" - congratulations!
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BoSoxinBkk
All my UA and LH travel is in Z class which is not upgradeable.
They can't be upgraded with a GPU, but you can still upgrade Z (and P) class using mies + co-pay.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
got the last upgrade BOS-IAH this Saturday with 3 UGs on total (as far as I could tell). Sometimes it pays to have 1K status
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drowelf
Isn't that technically against the Mileage Plus Program Rules?
That discussion is best in Coupon Connection forum.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Last night, just after hitting the "purchase" button for an UG request (miles/money) for an international flight, I realized there was no BF availability on my flight. I called the 1K desk, got the 1K desk (or at least a CSR who identified himself as a 1K agent, and he was able to have the MPSC immediately restore my miles, and advised me that the service charge would be refunded within 48 hours. He admitted this was the first time he'd been asked to do this, but was happy to try, and he was very nice to work with. ^^
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:16 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I've just asked that same question last week if 1K status is worth it. After looking at everything I said yes, mainly for the GPUs. With the family flying more and more, yet none of them feel like doing MR someone has to support their upgrades/award tickets and that best way is being a 1K with the GPUs and the bonus RDM/credit card points/etc. So for me it is worth it.
In addition, after Nov flying, I'll have under 200K to hit MM.

Will I do it next year with the min spend? Yes, as I got my foreign address
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Southwest A List
I'm around 40k short this year, don't see a reason to requalify. My upgrade success in near 10% this year...
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmsteele62
I'm around 40k short this year, don't see a reason to requalify. My upgrade success in near 10% this year...
Those upgrade % aren't meaningful without flying patterns (dates, fare classes, city pairs, etc).

My signature does a good job of detailing most of that information.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmsteele62

I'm around 40k short this year, don't see a reason to requalify. My upgrade success is near 10% this year...
Well to IKDom ... 2013 version.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
1K for the first time this year

Sorry if this is the wrong thread:

I am going to make 1k for the first time in late Nov!

What should I know to make the most of it? I don't think I will be travelling as much next year (this year was way above normal for me). So this will also likely be my only year to make 1k, hence, I really want to make the most of it.

Last edited by wxalex; Oct 31, 2013 at 2:04 pm Reason: fixed typos
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:39 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by wxalex
Sorry if this is the wrong thread:

I am going to make 1k for the first time in late Nov!

What should I know to make the most of it? I don't think I will be travelling as much next year (this year was way above normal for me). So this will also likely be my only year to make 1k, hence, I really want to make the most of it.
Use the GPUs on some nice long flights. For instance there's some good Europe-South America fares that can be upgraded.
Add the E+ for you and others booked on your ticket and also the waived fees on award tickets and you can make a nice trip.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:54 am

Devaluation Dilemma

I have made plat for 2013 and decided to go for 1K one last time for 2014. My plan was to travel widely, burn miles and generally enjoy the status without having to think about spending requirements.

I had an IAD-SIN MR flight booked for next week which would have put me over the 1K threshold. Got a schedule conflict and the ticket would have to be changed. Now in light of the devaluation I'm balking at the whole thing and don't know what to do.

Should I:
Go ahead and change the flight and get 1K for 2014 knowing that it means a lot less overall today than it did yesterday. I feel kind of icky flying an airline who doesn't value me, my status, or my spend.

Pay the change fee and cancel the ticket knowing that the chances of using the money may be slim if i have to spend it on the same routing.

Not cancel the ticket and let the flight go out with an empty seat that UA could have sold. We are talking about $!000+ which is a lot of money to go up inflames in a protest that UA doesn't care about

What would you do?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
I have made plat for 2013 and decided to go for 1K one last time for 2014. My plan was to travel widely, burn miles and generally enjoy the status without having to think about spending requirements.

I had an IAD-SIN MR flight booked for next week which would have put me over the 1K threshold. Got a schedule conflict and the ticket would have to be changed. Now in light of the devaluation I'm balking at the whole thing and don't know what to do.

Should I:
Go ahead and change the flight and get 1K for 2014 knowing that it means a lot less overall today than it did yesterday. I feel kind of icky flying an airline who doesn't value me, my status, or my spend.

Pay the change fee and cancel the ticket knowing that the chances of using the money may be slim if i have to spend it on the same routing.

Not cancel the ticket and let the flight go out with an empty seat that UA could have sold. We are talking about $!000+ which is a lot of money to go up inflames in a protest that UA doesn't care about

What would you do?
I think the values of the GPUs that you will earn as 1K have now gone up, in the light of the devaluation. It is now harder to get business class seats with miles. You could trade the GPUs on Coupon Connection.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:13 pm

Need advice - collect with UA or BA?

Hi folks,

I am a German based flyer with a lot of TATL traffic. I have already requalified with LH and have since been collecting with UA MP. Between Sept. and Dec. I will have 6 r/ts in C between Germany and Mexico.
I was orginally planning to go for 1K for the 6 GPUs and using the approx. 150k award miles for an F class award on LH.

However, with the new award charts I am not so certain anymore if this is the right way to go. I will not benefit a lot from 1K itself, as I already have *G with LH and I am usually flying LH as per company policy. Also, I rarely fly US domestic, so no upside here in terms of upgrades. At this point, I am already requalified for UA Premier.

Nevertheless, I am looking at building status and miles with OW (could probably go for Gold, but definily Silver with BA) and taking BA/AA from and to Mexico instead of going for 1K.

What do you guys think? What is the value of 1 GPU, lets say I would trade it against Avios on CC? Or should I still go for 1K even with all recent changes?

Thanks for any advice, it is highly appreciated!

Best
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
BA is UA with an accent and more arrogance than indifference.

Being similarly situated, if the cheaper UA redemptions and upgrades won't help you, I would just stay with LH.

Between UA and BA in your circumstances, I would go with UA. Not to fly them. Just to get the cheaper awards compared to LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.