Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Choice Hotels Gold
Should I go for United 1k status??

It'll be the last year before Premier 1k status is limited to Spending requirement and EQM miles flown. I'm currently Platinum status for 2013 and i've just secured Gold status for 2014. I am wondering now if its worth it to go for another 45,000+ EQM to reach 1K status for next year or if I should just start focusing on Mile runs for 2014 to get a jump on status for 2015.

The big reason I really want the status is for Lounge access on International travel. That need is satisfied by just having *Gold. But I hate the idea of having a 50% Bonus Last year I had 25% bonus and now this year I had 75% all year. My goal was originally to shoot for the 1K status.

Is 1K status worth it?? I fly my International flights on awards and all my purchased flights are usually Mile Runs. Next year I plan to make Gold or Platinum with the 25,000 spend on the CC. I've only been flying for 2-3 years so i'm still very new to this.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've been a 1K for a few years. I will do it for 2014 but not after that because of the spending requirement. I'll tell you that I'm not sure it's worth it. First off, the upgrades are harder to get these days, even with the 1K status. Maybe it depends on the destination but I think United is diluting the status by selling or giving away the status. Also, the main benefit is the global upgrades (6 per year). Unfortunately these are a little disappointing. You have to pay extra money for the right fare class in order to get upgraded. Generally the upgrades are few and far between... you have to book the flights months (like over 6-8) in advance to find seats. We have thought that it's probably easier to just buy a business class seat than try for the free upgrade. So I wouldn't recommend going for it unless it's no big deal. It has become less beneficial.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is more a question about the value of UA MP elite status more than mileage runs I'll move this topic over to UA MP forum for further input.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Should I go for United 1k status??

Based on what you've stated, no you should not try for it. The push for mileage bonus won't be worth the spend and you already have *G.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
For me it would be a cost / benefit determination. You get 6 GPUs, 4 RPUs, 100% bonus vs 50%, higher upgrade percentage, 8 companions vs 2, & Global entry paid for at platinum. How much would it cost you in $ and in time? Are the benefits worth it? It's a tough call, but only you can decide if it's worth it.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
there's a lot of factors that go into this, imo it's impossible to give a straight answer. as what really matters to you, what your travel patterns are, and where you're based out of.

miles: i know people who redeem miles constantly. i hoard miles and never use them (probably not smart, but whatever). if you find good expensive routes that you redeem easily for a few miles constantly, the boost in RDMs might be worth it to you.

GPUs: i'm of the belief this entirely depends on what route you go. people say a lot of routes are difficult to have GPUs clear, but i think it depends. examples. EWR-LHR i know are damn near impossible from failing consistently firsthand. same with EWR-CDG. but i've had IAD-FRA always clear. EWR-HKG always clear. EWR-NRT always clear. EWR-PVG always clear. SFO-ICN always clear. i also heard (all second hand because i've never flown these myself) that EWR-TLV and EWR-BOM are very difficult to clear. of course nothing's a guarantee and i do agree there are difficulties, but if GPUs are important i would suggest really asking around on routes you anticipate traveling because i honestly believe that while some are very difficult, others really aren't.

CPUs: again, i think YMMV. i've had fairly good success myself. this may be because there's an increasing amount of my flights being relegated to the E145, but on mainline flights i would have to say my experiences have been good as a 1K. off the top of my head i think the rush hour (6-8PM departure) ORD-NYC flights are the only ones i had trouble clearing on. but the CPU issues on other routes are well known and do exist. again, i think it really depends on your routes and times.

redemption: again if you redeem miles a lot, this theoretically should be better since the inventory should be better for 1K's than golds. i don't redeem much though so i can't really say.

just some of my thoughts. i've also had a few vodkas though so i may have been going on a bit longer than expected. it all really comes down to what's important to you. for me, the 6 GPUs are worth it since my family lives near ICN, and my upgrades there clear all the time. with work having me travel around 80-90K a year, being able to buy a W ticket and flying home in BF is what completely makes it for me. but everyone has different priorities.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, as a 1K since the merger I don't think I've ever requested a GPU be applied and then flown in the back. Some of the upgrades have cleared at barding time, but I've never been disappointed.

That said, if you really want lounge access, paying more to get a higher RDM bonus is likely not worth it. Your money would likely be better spent simply buying those extra miles outright via the options available when ticketing flights (often as low as 2.1c/mile).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
New 1K

Next month I will become a 1K.

My flights are entirely International mostly Asia and in Business Class.

My Domestic flights tend to be DL because I live in ATL.

What benefits will I get from being a 1K that might not be obvious.

I know I'll get a few more miles ( I have plenty) but sometimes there are things that you don't realize from reading Mileage Plus.

I ask this question to help me decide if I will make sure I attain the same status next year.

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Suggest you look in here for what people think of being a 1K and here for changes in 2014

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 1, 2013 at 11:40 am Reason: added 2014 thread link
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
suggest reading
Premier benefits and more
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-edition.html
and
2014 Program Updates
and this forum in general
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Suggest you look in here for what people think of being a 1K and here for changes in 2014
seems we think alike

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 2013 at 11:44 am Reason: think alike
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: UAPlat, WN A-List, HiltonGold, Marriott Gold
Should I spend to be 1k?

I calculate that I'll be 9 segments shy of 1k status by the end of the year. My question is whether it's truly worth it to take some inexpensive trips for the segments, or double connect on a client's dime? I'm interested in hearing from those who have felt a difference as 1k (or not). Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by MHTbased
I calculate that I'll be 9 segments shy of 1k status by the end of the year. My question is whether it's truly worth it to take some inexpensive trips for the segments, or double connect on a client's dime? I'm interested in hearing from those who have felt a difference as 1k (or not). Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Do you do trans-ocean travel? Probably not if you're qualifying on segments, but the GPUs are definitely worth it if you are.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
This was my first year as a 1K and I really enjoyed it. I'm in the upper 80% range for CPU, all my GPUs have cleared. I've even got two op-ups. One SFO-NRT, and one HND-LAX on ANA!

I'll admit that I've had a pretty decent year in terms of luck, but if it's in sight, I'd say go for it. Especially as it may be more difficult to get (at least for some) next year.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: UAPlat, WN A-List, HiltonGold, Marriott Gold
Thanks

I read the "is it worth it thread". Lots of conflicting opinions as you'd expect. I fly all domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.