Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I would not say that UA is garbage though.
No, you're right, that is an overstatement. Plenty o problems tho, mostly around customer facing policies and operations. I have found the inflight experience to be fine.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jul 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm Reason: Fine, UA isn't a garbage airlines
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
It matters to be #1 during IRROPS and get on the last flight home
It matters to the PMUA agents who still remember the value of a loyal customer

FOR A DOMESTIC 1K IT MATTERS. Lots of international flyers are clouding the picture. You cant fly LAX-JFK/ORD/PDX on SQ or LH.
Funny side story ... so I finally crossed the threshold this week into 1K land; however, getting there was strange as United was delayed posting flights really late "and" because of a FEQM push to get to gold so I could have E+, they were further delayed in crossing the faux-100K threshold [9,991 CO PP card use] ...

'So I call the line as a PP, and I ask where is the status update, I get told oh it will sweep Saturday night (if not then definitely monday ...). I asked if there was anything that could be done as I have another pair of flights through the East Coast this weekend, and would it be possible to at least get it tagged as 1K, and they started working on it ... he kept thinking I cared about the upgrade (which already was done via a B-fare) ... I kept saying don't care ... what I care about is IRROPS not the upgrade ...

His response ... "Oh" I see EWR in your future and there are storms this weekend... let me take care of that right away (30 seconds later signout/signin) bammo. Status update.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
suspect you are including YQ, fuel surcharge in taxes
dummy bookings I try show SFO-FRA with $164 taxes
The UA portion is based plus YQ

Fascinating, isn't it? Folks have parsed out the "we don't know anything about PQDs" and yet can't remember the YQ, which is clearly within PQDs. That says a lot about many of the postings on the PQD thread re "opaque earnings".
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
Fascinating, isn't it? Folks have parsed out the "we don't know anything about PQDs" and yet can't remember the YQ, which is clearly within PQDs. That says a lot about many of the postings on the PQD thread re "opaque earnings".
Well since the only notice (which I believe) is a post from UA Insider in other thread and there is nothing yet in the FAQs, it is not surprising there still is widespread confusion / lack of knowledge even among the FT community let alone among those not receiving early insider info.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Well since the only notice (which I believe) is a post from UA Insider in other thread and there is nothing yet in the FAQs, it is not surprising there still is widespread confusion / lack of knowledge even among the FT community let alone among those not receiving early insider info.
While I'm inclined to never disagree with you about anything, since you're quite the senior statesman, I just can't agree with you about this. The FAQ's and other announcements make crystal clear that "carrier-imposed surcharges" are included. YQ is undeniably a "carrier-imposed surcharge." I knew from the moment I read the first stuff on the PQD's that YQ would be included. The only people who are still worried or confused are the chicken littles.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Confusion/lack of knowledge is not what I'm seeing when mitchmu and others are calling me out with their poor accounting to refute my assertion that at most 20% is taxes.

Especially in a thread that's supposed to be about 1K benefits being worth it.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
While I'm inclined to never disagree with you about anything, since you're quite the senior statesman, I just can't agree with you about this. The FAQ's and other announcements make crystal clear that "carrier-imposed surcharges" are included. YQ is undeniably a "carrier-imposed surcharge." I knew from the moment I read the first stuff on the PQD's that YQ would be included. The only people who are still worried or confused are the chicken littles.
It was not in the original FAQs (but added sooner afterward) and "carrier-imposed surcharge" may make sense to some insiders but as with most things related to FF programs few others understand (and I prefer not to attack those in the process to educate) -- one role of FT is to help educate as I did a few post back.

The banter between some is an area I prefer to stay out of.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:58 am

Confusion/lack of knowledge is not what I'm seeing when mitchmu and others are calling me out with their poor accounting to refute my assertion that at most 20% is taxes.
In fact, this conversation, which highlights the confusion about how to interpret YQ, supports my assertion that the PQM program will be personally demanding, and that it imposes yet another "frustration tax" on each flier who chooses to play the game, precisely because nobody can figure out what counts and what doesn't count. That opacity will be used to the benefit of the regime and to the detriment of customers. And, tracking/managing the accounting will impose a significant personal cost and it is pertinent to the question of whether 1K is "worth it" because now the diminished benefits of 1K status need to be balanced against the increased costs of attaining it, both in dollars and in terms of the new frustration tax.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mitchmu
In fact, this conversation, which highlights the confusion about how to interpret YQ, supports my assertion that the PQM program will be personally demanding, and that it imposes yet another "frustration tax" on each flier who chooses to play the game, precisely because nobody can figure out what counts and what doesn't count. That opacity will be used to the benefit of the regime and to the detriment of customers. And, tracking/managing the accounting will impose a significant personal cost.
What confusion is there in tracking/interpeting YQ? You deliberately incorporated them into taxes when you were very aware of this exclusion in the other thread. The only confusion then is in new users who believed your numbers.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:04 am

What confusion is there in tracking/interpeting YQ? You deliberately incorporated them into taxes when you were very aware of this exclusion in the other thread. The only confusion then is in new users who believed your numbers.
Let's bookmark this until Feb 15, 2015.

I hereby predict that, no later than Feb 15, 2015, we will see no fewer than 500 messages from flyer-talkers who are legitimately confused about what qualifies and what doesn't qualify.

If I'm wrong, I will buy up to 10 beers for flyer-talkers who present themselves at a time and place of my choosing for redemption.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
suspect you are including YQ, fuel surcharge in taxes
dummy bookings I try show SFO-FRA with $164 taxes
The UA portion is based plus YQ
This is the detail from the United Site for an upcoming SFO-FRA roundtrip.

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 880.00
International Surcharge: 536.00
Germany Air Transportation Tax: 54.30
Germany Passenger Service Charge:40.20
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 34.40
Germany Airport Security Charge: 8.60
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50
September 11th Security Fee: 2.50
Per Person Total: 1,578.00

I was assuming the surcharge didn't count but apparently it does.

These fuel surcharges are the stupidest thing. It made sense when oil spiked temporarily but I don't think oil is going down anytime soon.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's bookmark this until Feb 15, 2015.

I hereby predict that, no later than Feb 15, 2015, we will see no fewer than 500 messages from flyer-talkers who are legitimately confused about what qualifies and what doesn't qualify.

If I'm wrong, I will buy up to 10 beers for flyer-talkers who present themselves at a time and place of my choosing for redemption.
500 unique FTs, and not message padding from the same FTers?

You're on. I'll match if it goes above that. We'll use WineCountryUA or someone else to do the counting to assure objectivity.

I stress legitimate, not this "not sure about YQ" melodrama.

Fare Breakdown
<....>

I was assuming the surcharge didn't count but apparently it does.
Why did you assume the surcharge didn't count? Not picking at you, but you were awfully quick to refute us without checking the PQD thread.

13.3% of the ticket price is in taxes/fees.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 26, 2013 at 9:26 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Fare Breakdown
Germany Air Transportation Tax: 54.30
Germany Passenger Service Charge:40.20
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 34.40
Germany Airport Security Charge: 8.60
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50
September 11th Security Fee: 2.50
So getting back to the subject, I think most people will find that somewhere between 85-95% of their total spend will count toward the PQD requirement.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
So getting back to the subject, I think most people will find that somewhere between 85-95% of their total spend will count toward the PQD requirement.
That means 5-15% doesn't count, then if you add the frustration tax (value of time spent tracking and fighting with UA and trying to figure out what's in and what's out), then you get close to the 20% number that I tossed out.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That means 5-15% doesn't count, then if you add the frustration tax (value of time spent tracking and fighting with UA and trying to figure out what's in and what's out), then you get close to the 20% number that I tossed out.
Those are apples and oranges.

I'm not too concerned about the calculation because I'm going to clear the threshold pretty easily. So I don't accept the concept of a "frustration tax" that applies in all instances.

But history suggests that there likely be issues with the PQD calculation for some percentage of people at the margins. And yes we are likely to see a bunch of threads here about how UA screwed up the calculation in a particular case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.