Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Frontier is about to go ULCC so I wouldn't expect too much from their program in the coming years.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I admittedly don't know much about the current incarnation of Frontier, but my impression is they're constantly trying to find a niche. Do people think Frontier is a strong airline that won't go belly up (and along with it, earned benefits)? Is it a potential take-over target? Is it a serious challenger to UA in Denver and can it stand up to UA on one side and WN on the other?
the new "owners" of Frontier (and former owners of Spirit) have publicly stated that it is going to become an ultra low cost carrier (like spirit and allegiant). they will cram in more seats and charge for everything, going after those who rarely travel. although it may take over a year for this metamorphosis to occur, i think the handwriting is on the wall. i wouldnt be surprised to see frontier drop denver and expand in other cities where there are no hubs. (they have also been quoted as saying they will have a significant expansion in milwaukee - which makes sense since it is no longer anyone's hub)

go for 1K on united.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Thanks for the input.

It will be tough to make 1k. I have about 9,000 in scheduled flights. Need to figure out how to get about 12k more...
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OMAguy
the new "owners" of Frontier (and former owners of Spirit) have publicly stated that it is going to become an ultra low cost carrier (like spirit and allegiant). they will cram in more seats and charge for everything, going after those who rarely travel. although it may take over a year for this metamorphosis to occur, i think the handwriting is on the wall. i wouldnt be surprised to see frontier drop denver and expand in other cities where there are no hubs. (they have also been quoted as saying they will have a significant expansion in milwaukee - which makes sense since it is no longer anyone's hub)

go for 1K on united.
So in other words, United is going to become even worse in Denver since their only significant competition will be low-cost carriers. I see even more RJs in my future.

Great!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wxalex
Thanks for the input.

It will be tough to make 1k. I have about 9,000 in scheduled flights. Need to figure out how to get about 12k more...
Fly or buy. (award accelerator).
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
One time I flew Frontier. The plane almost left without me because I wasn't there like 45 minutes before the flight. I was told I was insane for not getting to the airport 2 hours early. It was like bizarro world. I wouldn't fly Frontier again if they paid me.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Frontier WAS a great little airline about 5 years ago going back. Great service, great people, always on time, and great Mexico flights. Then, they sucked and kept sucking more. They sucked so bad that I let my 80,000 unused miles with them lapse because I could not stand being on their planes anymore. After almost 400,000 lifetime miles with them, it was hard to leave them but then I found United was willing to court me. Then 3.3.12 happened. Since then I cry a lot.

In seriousness, if money is not as much an option for you, stick with UAL. I think the F9 business model is going to work, but it is going to be painful during the process, and they are already reducing the benefits and taking the TV out of the plane which was one of the last things I could have lived with in those quickly aging planes. The staff is really bitter and it shows. With 1k out of Denver you have much more routes and a pretty damn high upgrade percentage. Buy the award accelerator if you can afford it and plan to travel that much next year.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond; SPG: Gold; UA Platinum; BA Silver; EK Silver
Dropping from 1K to Platinum

This was my first year of 1K. I live outside the US and all my travel is international, so I have not used any of the GPUs and RPUs, and I don't see much benefit in mileage running to requalify. Does United automatically drop 1Ks who don't re-qualify down one notch to Platinum, or do I still need to fly 75k mikes to earn Plat this year? I find Plat quite useful due to the waived change fees on awards.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BoSoxinBkk
This was my first year of 1K. I live outside the US and all my travel is international, so I have not used any of the GPUs and RPUs, and I don't see much benefit in mileage running to requalify. ..
GPUs can be used on UA and LH metal flights even on international routes

.... Does United automatically drop 1Ks who don't re-qualify down one notch to Platinum, or do I still need to fly 75k mikes to earn Plat this year? .....
UA does not do soft landings for 1K (or lower status levels).
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:03 am

Thanks. I suspected that the soft landing was not there. I'm, at 68k miles and will make the effort to get to 75k by year-end.

All my UA and LH travel is in Z class which is not upgradeable.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
My first year too as 1K this year, and I have been really quite happy with the perks. I have used 5/6 GPU's (missed one upgrade), and 1/4 RPU's. I have flown other airlines too inc SQ and TG and QF, and UA is quite comparable.

Reading other forums, it seems to me that the complaints there are no less raucous than on this UA forum
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks. I suspected that the soft landing was not there. I'm, at 68k miles and will make the effort to get to 75k by year-end.

All my UA and LH travel is in Z class which is not upgradeable.
Suggest you trade your GPUs and RPUs in Coupon Connection - you're giving up a very good amount of value - I figure it's worth $1600 to $2000 in trade, easily.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Suggest you trade your GPUs and RPUs in Coupon Connection - you're giving up a very good amount of value - I figure it's worth $1600 to $2000 in trade, easily.
Yup, I put them up for trade earlier today. I had made the effort last year to get to 1K, but none of the booking classes that I fly on are eligible for upgrade. I generally fly Z class CAI-IAD-CAI for $2,200 and the upgradeable fare buckets are $4,000+.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
Does United automatically drop 1Ks who don't re-qualify down one notch to Platinum, or do I still need to fly 75k mikes to earn Plat this year? I find Plat quite useful due to the waived change fees on awards.
If you've flown enough this calendar year to qualify for Platinum, then you will make Platinum for 2014. However, if you've flown less by the end of the year, then you will be whatever your mileage qualifies you for.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
Isn't that technically against the Mileage Plus Program Rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.