Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by BayAreaResident
With my current expected flights this year, I'm likely to be just under the threshold for 1k (probably around 90k premier miles). What's the benefit of having 1k vs. platinum? Seems like the only real difference is that you get an additional 25% mileage bonus, right? Is it worth going out of my way (perhaps literally) to try to hit the 1k threshold? What are the important factors to consider?

Thanks.
How many PQD's do you have?

If you are over $10K PQD's, then reports of Elite Maximizer at .07 cents per PQM may be of interest to you.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:21 pm

I'm over 10k PQDs, though I'd like to avoid buying status unless the benefit is clearly going to be worth it.

So far I'm hearing that the benefits are essentially a faster RDM earning speed and extra upgrade coupons that you can only use on paid flights. Is that it? Honestly that doesn't sound super compelling if it would take an extra stretch (either in flights or in $$ to hit 1k). Am I missing something?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
I'm over 10k PQDs, though I'd like to avoid buying status unless the benefit is clearly going to be worth it.

So far I'm hearing that the benefits are essentially a faster RDM earning speed and extra upgrade coupons that you can only use on paid flights. Is that it? Honestly that doesn't sound super compelling if it would take an extra stretch (either in flights or in $$ to hit 1k). Am I missing something?
Protection in IRROPS (when .... hits the fan), dedicated cust service line (you can get lucky sometimes), preferred priority for standby and upgrades.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Protection in IRROPS (when .... hits the fan), dedicated cust service line (you can get lucky sometimes), preferred priority for standby and upgrades.
Does anyone consider that worth over $500 vs platinum? That's at least how much I expect it to cost me to hit 1k.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:36 pm

Does anyone consider that worth over $500 vs platinum? That's at least how much I expect it to cost me to hit 1k.
How many miles are you away from hitting 1K? Since it sounds like you have the spend requirement.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014
How many miles are you away from hitting 1K? Since it sounds like you have the spend requirement.
Not sure yet. Estimating roughly 10k.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:43 pm

Not sure yet. Estimating roughly 10k.
I'm confused, do you mean you have $10,000 worth of spend? How many miles do you still need to get to 100,000 Premier Qualifying Miles?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:47 pm

I'm confused, do you mean you have $10,000 worth of spend? How many miles do you still need to get to 100,000 Premier Qualifying Miles?
Sorry for the confusion. I already have over 10k PQDs. I estimate I'll probably end the year with 90k PQMs.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:51 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I already have over 10k PQDs. I estimate I'll probably end the year with 90k PQMs.
You may be able to get a mix of those miles through SDC - would be hard to get them all, and then a short mileage run maybe worth $250-300 to balance out the rest.

To answer your question, I think it is worth the extra $500 you think it may cost you - reason, you get higher upgrade priority, better IRROPS (you get a free hotel usually whenever weather, ATC, etc hits), 6 GPUS which some people put a high value on - I put a very low value on that, and the additional RPUs. In the end, definitely worth the $500 IMO.

However, of course I would tell you it's probably best if you didn't since there would be less 1Ks to compete against

In the end, take an additional flight to get the status if you have the time and some extra dollars laying around you wouldn't mind spending. If your flying behavior is the same for next year as it is this year, you'll break out ahead.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:22 pm

You may be able to get a mix of those miles through SDC - would be hard to get them all, and then a short mileage run maybe worth $250-300 to balance out the rest.

To answer your question, I think it is worth the extra $500 you think it may cost you - reason, you get higher upgrade priority, better IRROPS (you get a free hotel usually whenever weather, ATC, etc hits), 6 GPUS which some people put a high value on - I put a very low value on that, and the additional RPUs. In the end, definitely worth the $500 IMO.

However, of course I would tell you it's probably best if you didn't since there would be less 1Ks to compete against

In the end, take an additional flight to get the status if you have the time and some extra dollars laying around you wouldn't mind spending. If your flying behavior is the same for next year as it is this year, you'll break out ahead.
For $500, I would do it - 2 additional RPU's, plus 6 GPU's, plus other benefits.

However, I have not seen too many opportunities to earn 10K PQM's for $500.

If I were short 10,000 PQM's, and I were offered .07/PQM through Elite Maximizer (plus the .019/RDM), I think I would take it.

As always, each individual judges this differently.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:30 am

Just met Plat. Status...Should I bother going to 1K?

Hi all,

I've been in the United mileage program for a little less than 2 years. In 2013, I was able to qualify for UA Gold on the last flight of that year! This year, I've met the UA Plat requirements, but will probably be ~15-20k miles short of meeting 1K requirements.

The main differences between UA Plat. vs UA 1K to me are the GPUs. Should I bother making a mileage run or go on a vacation to meet the 1K requirements. If I do happen to make the 1K status...there is a very good chance that I won't even be using my GPUs anyways.

I was thinking about selling the GPUs so I can get a "free" trip out of it, but like I mentioned, this will be my first year even getting RPUs...so there must be things I'm overlooking. Is it possible to sell GPUs?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
No, sale of benefits are not allowed, and you run the risk of be stripped of your miles and status. If you are 15-20k short I would say its not worth reaching 1kettle for.

At coupon connection you could trade the GPU's for miles for example, but again, since you are kindof far from reaching 1k I would not have done it if it was me.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Agreed, I don't think it's worth mileage-running for 1K. Also, what's your PQD situation? Remember that it requires $10k PQD and no waiver allowed (only waived up to Plat).

Biggest things for 1K, according to the benefits table, are:
- instant M upgrades
- GPUs
- Greater upgrade possibility
- 100% bonus RDM vs. 75% RDM for Plat
- $60 MP card statement credit

My travel patterns are such that it's not worth it to me to MR from an expected 80k PQM to reach 1K.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I agree with PP. It's not worth a 20K run. Arguably it's worth up to, say a 5K run. But of course it's going to vary.

Do you fly a lot of shorter flights, so that CPUs are worth it to you (better chances as 1K). If you're not going to use GPUs, but only are trading them, then that's not helpful. You get modestly better call in service.

I'll give you my 2c, having gone between gold, plat, and 1K last year (requiring a 6-hour round trip to get the last 1500 miles) - it hasn't really been worth it. I haven't been able to use my GPUs easily, in part because my employer doesn't always buy W or above tickets. I don't fly too many segments, so CPUs haven't done much for me either. I suppose that being 1K has been the difference between clearing a couple of those international upgrades and ending up #2 or 3 on the list, but I'm questioning whether the extra trip was worth it. Certainly not if it had required multiple MRs.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by davidviolin
No, sale of benefits are not allowed, and you run the risk of be stripped of your miles and status. If you are 15-20k short I would say its not worth reaching 1kettle for.

At coupon connection you could trade the GPU's for miles for example, but again, since you are kindof far from reaching 1k I would not have done it if it was me.
Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely not put my miles/status at risk if that's the case. I'll check coupon connection up to see what's that about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.