Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And neither does UA. The GPU will be returned if that happens but you get to keep the EWR-DEN upgrade. Small consolation but the GPU lives for another day.
Only to shuffle off the mortal coil on Feb 1 2015...unless you are GS...
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
+1.

He's in a good situation, which is the possibility of 1K at low cost.

But what benefits would he get? GPUs? May be worth it if intertational travel in W or above. More CPUs? May be worth it if on routes where 1Ks clear and Plats don't. All depends on flying
Or if no international travel, there's nothing that says he can't use his GPU for a domestic transcon or trip to Hawaii (or something).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by finkie
I've been Plat for many many years but never came close to 1K. This year I should end my travel 3,000 miles short of 100,000

Are the extra 1K benefits worth a mileage run? I can probably do EWR-DEN-EWR for under $350. That probably makes sense, no? (I've met the minimum spend)
You get a carry-on handle wrap! Closer to the top of the list for (allegedly) non-existent CPUs. 11x v.s. 9x RDM multiplier after 3/1/15. More importantly - 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs, working out to about $44 each, not even counting the RDMs you get for your 1K-earning flight. If I'm flying much next year and am that close, it would be a no-brainer for me. Or, I can sell you my handle wrap for $20 and you can keep $330 in your pocket.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You get a carry-on handle wrap! Closer to the top of the list for (allegedly) non-existent CPUs. 11x v.s. 9x RDM multiplier after 3/1/15. More importantly - 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs, working out to about $44 each, not even counting the RDMs you get for your 1K-earning flight. If I'm flying much next year and am that close, it would be a no-brainer for me. Or, I can sell you my handle wrap for $20 and you can keep $330 in your pocket.
I didn't get my handle wrap with my 1k welcome packet, is it coming at a later time?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:53 pm

I've been Plat for many many years but never came close to 1K. This year I should end my travel 3,000 miles short of 100,000

Are the extra 1K benefits worth a mileage run? I can probably do EWR-DEN-EWR for under $350. That probably makes sense, no? (I've met the minimum spend)
Absolutely.

Also check out the option to buy PQM's - may cost more, but you don't have to fly.

My year end travel has picked up significantly. Through July / August I was pretty sure that I would be Plat - >$10K PQM's, but only 75 - 80K PQM's.

Now it looks like I will only be 4K - 7K PQM's short, so I am going to find a way to earn them. Flying, or Elite Maximizer if I see a good enough deal (right amount of PQM's, <.10 cents each).

Right after I came to this realization, my next two transcon CPU's even cleared! One of them SFO-EWR. Shocking.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
This looks to be my last year of working to earn 1K! It's just not worth it that much anymore.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And neither does UA. The GPU will be returned if that happens but you get to keep the EWR-DEN upgrade. Small consolation but the GPU lives for another day.
WineCountryUA,

This is not the case for Regional upgrade certificates correct? Meaning EWR-IAH-SFO But only the IAH-SFO clears you still have "used" the regional - correct?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tasnam
... This is not the case for Regional upgrade certificates correct? Meaning EWR-IAH-SFO But only the IAH-SFO clears you still have "used" the regional - correct?
correct -- the return clause applies to cases where one segment includes International BF / GF segment -- and RPUs are not applicable for those types of segments. For RPUs, if any segment clears, the RPU is considered used.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
+1.

He's in a good situation, which is the possibility of 1K at low cost.

But what benefits would he get? GPUs? May be worth it if intertational travel in W or above. More CPUs? May be worth it if on routes where 1Ks clear and Plats don't. All depends on flying
Significantly higher RDM with the new program in March.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Significantly higher RDM with the new program in March.
Significantly higher RDM now as well. Granted, the delta goes from ~14% more (200% vs. 175%) to 22% more (11 vs. 9 x price)
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Now it looks like I will only be 4K - 7K PQM's short, so I am going to find a way to earn them. Flying, or Elite Maximizer if I see a good enough deal (right amount of PQM's, <.10 cents each).
$337 K fare SFO-JFK.

Or if you want front cabin, $1036 P fare SFO-BOG.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
$337 K fare SFO-JFK.

Or if you want front cabin, $1036 P fare SFO-BOG.
Due to a mishap at The Plaza in NYC last year, they offered me a free night in a suite that I need to use in the next couple of months.

That and a $337 K Fare on PS, and I am golden.

Of course, it will be $337 X2 as I will need to bring along my +1.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: 1K

Yes, absolutely worth it
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by teeceedee
I didn't get my handle wrap with my 1k welcome packet, is it coming at a later time?
Yes, it's shipped separately. Not sure why it takes time - it's not engraved with anything personal.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
1K vs Platinum

I qualified for 1K again for 2015 despite the revenue requirement.

however, given the increased revenue requirement for 2016 and the fact that I'd like to reduce my business travel a bit next year, I'm wondering what I'll give up in going down to platinum status.

I rarely get upgraded anyway - my route is SFO-EWR and my company doesn't pay much for the tickets ($400 round trip is pretty typical.)

Am I overlooking any important benefit of being a 1K?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.