Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:26 am

Already 1MM (Gold for Life), so the only perk I can see would be systemwides (yes, FC on M fares, but really?). We're not going to fly UA next year, except want to do the overseas vacation in C.

Is Jeff & Co. selling cheap C and Kiosk upgrades before systemwides (GPUs)?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by dcdavido
I could buy 30k PQMs at $3k. That would put me at 1k again next year. But with virtually no domestic upgrades and the change in redeeming miles, what's the point? So we bought cheap $1400 P tix from BWI to AMS and haven't used system wides. That's lower than W fares with a possible upgrade. Loyalty means nothing. Next year maybe we don't get UA massive sell off of Business First inventory. We'll want to do one or two overseas trips.

What would you do?
The answer to your question, in my mind, rests on whether you have a predictable value for 1K that exceeds 3,000.

For me the only tangible deal-breaker would be the GPUs. If you had definite travel plans that could maximize their value then go for it. For example, assuming you are a family of three and wanted to travel international transatlantic or transpacific return in BF and consume all six GPUs (and contrary to what you read here it is possible to get 3 GPUs on a flight for a party of three) then thee value would immediately exceed the 3000 USD. However, other than that I find it hard to see how it would make sense spending 3000 without flying.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcdavido
Is Jeff & Co. selling cheap C and Kiosk upgrades before systemwides (GPUs)?
Plenty of reports seeing $599-$799 kiosk/online upgrade offers within T-24 while still waitlisted w/a GPU, yes
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:39 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Star Gold status with the lounge access and baggage allowance are good benefits of being UA MM. If you are close, than it is likely worth it to reach UA MM sooner, rather than later. With all of the UA devaluations, one has to wonder what further changes are coming next.
That's what I'm also thinking. Currently I got "lifetime gold" via A3 but who knows how long that will last. Plus the option to give my father *G is also a nice feature.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:47 pm

Benefit of 1k over Platinum?

With my current expected flights this year, I'm likely to be just under the threshold for 1k (probably around 90k premier miles). What's the benefit of having 1k vs. platinum? Seems like the only real difference is that you get an additional 25% mileage bonus, right? Is it worth going out of my way (perhaps literally) to try to hit the 1k threshold? What are the important factors to consider?

Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
You get 6 GPU and 2 more RPU. Much better chance at upgrade as well as better IRROPS handling. I would say worth the mileage run.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BayAreaResident
With my current expected flights this year, I'm likely to be just under the threshold for 1k (probably around 90k premier miles). What's the benefit of having 1k vs. platinum? Seems like the only real difference is that you get an additional 25% mileage bonus, right? Is it worth going out of my way (perhaps literally) to try to hit the 1k threshold? What are the important factors to consider?

Thanks.
I've been both post-merger and will probably drop down to Plat next year again. It depends on what's important to you but for me, the biggest differences are:
- 6 GPUs
- 2 more RPUs
- A much better upgrade %. I'm around 50-60% CPUs as a 1K. I believe I was around 35-40 % as a Plat.

Remember the miles earning changes next year too. It won't be 25% more, but the factor you multiply by the spend is higher for 1K. For me, miles earning isn't important though.

For me, if I were going to end at 90,000 I'd definitely be looking for a reasonably priced, relatively low hassle way to get to 100k.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:02 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
If you travel internationally, the 6 GPUs can make for great travel on long flights. You will also get an additional 2 RPUs and earn 25 percent more redeemable miles( 100 percent mileage bonus) until February 28, 2015( afterwards it will be 11 miles per dollar spent on a ticket).

I think 1K status is worth it over Platinum. If you can do a mileage run to Europe, you'll be golden. Do make certain you have spent the 10K for Premier Qualifying Dollars before embarking on such venture. If you have any questions PM me. Cheers.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:15 pm

I am at 72k and will end the year with 78K. Could easily change some travel around and do a mileage run to hit 1K, but decided against it. Giving AAL and Delta more business next year as I have been impressed by their operations. Upgrades are nice, but I rather not have consistent flight delays and cancellations. Right now 70% of my UA flights have been delayed (thanks ORD and IAH) and upgrades out of SFO are hard to come by with all the GS/1Ks around.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by JBord
- A much better upgrade %. I'm around 50-60% CPUs as a 1K. I believe I was around 35-40 % as a Plat.
Wow, talk about your mileage may vary! I've received, I think, upgrades on 2 short flights (SFO-LAX) and zero on anything else, making it closer to, at best, 10% on trips, probably 3 or 4% on mileage. I don't even consider them a possibility anymore.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by denuaflier
You get 6 GPU and 2 more RPU. Much better chance at upgrade as well as better IRROPS handling. I would say worth the mileage run.
Can you use the upgrades on award tickets?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Only GS
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
No. Only Global Services can.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Wow, talk about your mileage may vary! I've received, I think, upgrades on 2 short flights (SFO-LAX) and zero on anything else, making it closer to, at best, 10% on trips, probably 3 or 4% on mileage. I don't even consider them a possibility anymore.
Definitely ymmv, and in my experience, I rarely get a CPU on the West coast. But both flights to and from MSP this week cleared for me . The numbers don't tell the whole story, there's definitely a quantity vs. quality aspect to consider.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
GPU is almost equal to RPU since it has fare restrictions on international flights. For planed personal international trips purchased with the lowest possible fare, GPU is not usable most of the time. For me, GPU = RPU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.