Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA-GOLD, SPG-GOLD
Originally Posted by TommyC80
First of all, don't buy 21k PQM when you need 14k....you can book a flight that gives you 14k as an option (you might have to do a few till you find one that works)....then after you buy the miles cancel the ticket.

That just dropped your cost from $2700 to $1800.

$1800 might be worth it to you....you're getting 2 more RPU, 6 GPU and an extra 25% bonus on all your miles, you're also getting a $60 credit against any MP credit card you may have...of course, you're getting somewhat better CPU chances as well

Depening on your travel patterns next year, just clearing a couple of GPUs would certainly pay for the $1800 regardless of the other benes.

If it were me, I would defintiely do it for $1800...

Also, the sooner you do it...the sooner you get to platinum as well...

Thanks for the tip! From the replies, it looks like this is the best way to go. The only question I have is if I buy the ticket, do the accelerator for 14K, and then cancel the ticket, UA would let me keep those PQMs and award miles even though I just cancelled my ticket?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flynovice
..... The only question I have is if I buy the ticket, do the accelerator for 14K, and then cancel the ticket, UA would let me keep those PQMs and award miles even though I just cancelled my ticket?
Absolutely yes --- UA got the $$$, they are happy.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
What routes do you fly if you don't mind me asking? I also use my GPU's to upgrade from D to ON and have found availability on almost every flight I've needed. R is one thing (almost non existent) but I find ON space quite easy to find

Out of my 6 GPU's I've used 3 from NRT-SFO or ORD, 2 from BAH-IAD and from IAD-DXB..no problem upgrading at booking
I've made four TATL trips this year, two TPAC. I've been able to use GPUs to Asia (once) but only on two sectors to Europe (ON).

I'm not flexible about dates or routes, so these things just aren't worth anything to me. First class on UA is good for the privacy but their soft product is inferior to most carriers I would consider in business (LH, ANA, VS).

That said, I find United's service so poor that I fear that if one's status dips below 1k, it might be unbearable.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
1k gets you lots of free underwear :)

The only reason I see to try to reach 1k is that the compensation for screw ups (lost luggage, delayed/canceled flights) is much better. And this has been a year of numerous screw ups...

After what I thought was a year of improvement in 2013, 2014 has been abysmal. I'm routinely on the road for 2+ weeks so I tend to check luggage more than most ppl. And what I've come to learn is that I cannot expect both myself and my underwear to arrive in the same town and the same day. I've found UA to be generous is comp, both to cover costs of new clothing, and travel certs.

It's been a slow (revenue) travel year for me. I'm only at 55k. I've maybe got another 20k in flights by year end. Last year I did a couple of MR's to get 1k, but I don't feel like it's worth it for me this year. I will get Platinum and maybe that's good enough.

This is my 3rd year as 1k, 4th as Platinum (or better), 5th as gold (or better).

My main international route is EWR-TLV. GPU's are nearly useless. My domestic CPU is less than 50%.

Thanks to UA, I won't need to buy new underwear for at least 5 years. So that's a nice 1k perk!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ah what is wrong with ua. Maybe just maybe if they wanted to thin the ranks they should stop offering stupid s**t like this.

Originally Posted by ElieW
The only reason I see to try to reach 1k is that the compensation for screw ups (lost luggage, delayed/canceled flights) is much better. And this has been a year of numerous screw ups...

After what I thought was a year of improvement in 2013, 2014 has been abysmal. I'm routinely on the road for 2+ weeks so I tend to check luggage more than most ppl. And what I've come to learn is that I cannot expect both myself and my underwear to arrive in the same town and the same day. I've found UA to be generous is comp, both to cover costs of new clothing, and travel certs.

It's been a slow (revenue) travel year for me. I'm only at 55k. I've maybe got another 20k in flights by year end. Last year I did a couple of MR's to get 1k, but I don't feel like it's worth it for me this year. I will get Platinum and maybe that's good enough.

This is my 3rd year as 1k, 4th as Platinum (or better), 5th as gold (or better).

My main international route is EWR-TLV. GPU's are nearly useless. My domestic CPU is less than 50%.

Thanks to UA, I won't need to buy new underwear for at least 5 years. So that's a nice 1k perk!
Well at least they are doing something.

I myself should land this year at 99,999PQM. I wonder if my 15k in PQD would allow them to still make me a 1k or not missing that 1mile.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The only level that matters is GS. Everything else is a credit card membership or a co-pay away. If GPUs had a longer shelf life, that might tip the scale. I think that 1Ks actually hack UA off since you are flying alot of miles but you aren't buying enough of the expensive fares to make GS.

This hybrid perks/bucks system where you can buy status features is eventually going to go away, and frankly I welcome the greater transparency. They tout all these advantages of being loyal and then it is hard as heck to get the benefits.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA-GOLD, SPG-GOLD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks^! I'll try it out today. I'm thinking SFO-YUL ought to do it. The balance I need is 14,500. Would appreciate it if there's known any good ones out of SFO. Thanks all!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Not worth it

I'm in frequent-flier hell I'm close enough to 2 million but in the sea miles but close enough to 1 million as well right at 1.56 million. I have not been upgraded and any United domestic flights all year but luckily having a bulkhead row or exit rowworks just fine for me.
Was at the Chicago seminars this weekend and realize that American Airlines seems to be the only airline until they sort out the USAir merger that will offer any chance of having any kind status that has any kind of value.
So for now I'm just going to enjoy my status and enjoy sitting in the bulkhead or exit row.
Flying internationally my only choice will always be the cure that offers the best hard product and that for sure will never be united till the next generation of clean start rolling in 2030
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tomj888
I have not been upgraded and any United domestic flights all year but luckily having a bulkhead row or exit rowworks just fine for me.
something is wrong in this picture. Unless you fly IAH-SFO Mo/Fr or transcons only that is close to impossible. My UG %age is ~ 60% this year which is less than before; 0% on a good sample size is near impossible.
For me 1K is worth it right now with 10 GPUs for 2015 which are worth somewhere in the $5-10k neighborhood. Unless GPUs stop clearing or UA further restricts them I will probably keep going for 1K.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:31 pm

Confusion

Originally Posted by cfischer
something is wrong in this picture. Unless you fly IAH-SFO Mo/Fr or transcons only that is close to impossible. My UG %age is ~ 60% this year which is less than before; 0% on a good sample size is near impossible.
For me 1K is worth it right now with 10 GPUs for 2015 which are worth somewhere in the $5-10k neighborhood. Unless GPUs stop clearing or UA further restricts them I will probably keep going for 1K.
When did UA increase GPU's from 6 to 10?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
When did UA increase GPU's from 6 to 10?
when you fly 200k PQM you get 10 GPUs as far as I know
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:39 pm

I see

Originally Posted by cfischer
when you fly 200k PQM you get 10 GPUs as far as I know
God bless those who fly that much. I'm good for 110-122k/ year. Will never see that level. I wonder how many people fly that amount?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
God bless those who fly that much. I'm good for 110-122k/ year. Will never see that level. I wonder how many people fly that amount?
a poll done of 2012 UA FTers (not scientific)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:45 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by PushingTin
The only level that matters is GS. Everything else is a credit card membership or a co-pay away. If GPUs had a longer shelf life, that might tip the scale. I think that 1Ks actually hack UA off since you are flying alot of miles but you aren't buying enough of the expensive fares to make GS.

This hybrid perks/bucks system where you can buy status features is eventually going to go away, and frankly I welcome the greater transparency. They tout all these advantages of being loyal and then it is hard as heck to get the benefits.
I think 1Ks do ok on United....from a travel experience perspective I saw little difference between 1K and GS....mostly just window dressing as GS.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I have not been upgraded and any United domestic flights all year but luckily having a bulkhead row or exit row works just fine for me.
How many flights would that be? If it's just 3-4 probably not much to be concerned about, but if it's 30-40 have to wonder why you're doing so poorly.

Was at the Chicago seminars this weekend and realize that American Airlines seems to be the only airline until they sort out the USAir merger that will offer any chance of having any kind status that has any kind of value.
A very reliable, long-time AA forum member, who does have some contacts at AA, offers that AA is not going revenue based like UA. That could be a game changer for those that can't meet revenue goals for elite status at UA or DL.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
A week or two for announce. At this juncture not expecting switch to revenue-based system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.