Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Those are apples and oranges.

I'm not too concerned about the calculation because I'm going to clear the threshold pretty easily. So I don't accept the concept of a "frustration tax" that applies in all instances.

But history suggests that there likely be issues with the PQD calculation for some percentage of people at the margins. And yes we are likely to see a bunch of threads here about how UA screwed up the calculation in a particular case.
For someone naturally spending > $15,000 on UA metal and UA ticket stock and all the other assorted criteria that have been published, to be published, and as changed, then, yes, frustration tax is low.

But, for someone at margin, either because of dollar amount, or because they fly in ways that the regime doesn't want to reward (wrong stock, use of *A, etc.), it gets a lot tougher.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I have zero concern because:

My customers will dictate my biz travel needs

My life needs will dictate my personal travel needs.

Getting some plastic fake status from an airline at any level is a few steps below removing toe jamb on my "importance list"

(Plot swing)

If I'm wrong, I will buy up to 10 beers for flyer-talkers who present themselves at a time and place of my choosing for redemption.
Whoa, wait a minute pardner!

Are these real beers or drink chits?

Are they valid on UA or any *A ?

Do they expire or have a minimum drink requirement?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mitchmu
That means 5-15% doesn't count, then if you add the frustration tax (value of time spent tracking and fighting with UA and trying to figure out what's in and what's out), then you get close to the 20% number that I tossed out.
Umm, I tossed out 20%. You mocked me for it. You specifically noted $20,000 was needed, which is 100%. Or even "well above $15,000", which is 50%.

<<In my view, this brings the true cost well above $15,000. Perhaps even $20,000, depending on how you value your time, and the frustrations involved.>>

Let's not get into revisionist history.

Last edited by aacharya; Jul 26, 2013 at 11:11 am
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu
That means 5-15% doesn't count, then if you add the frustration tax (value of time spent tracking and fighting with UA and trying to figure out what's in and what's out), then you get close to the 20% number that I tossed out.
Given 99%+ (my estimate) of the folks just trust the RDMs/PQMs numbers posted in their accounts presently, I would not expect those folks to do anything different with PQDs. However, I am sure there will be growing pains before this gets done right.
And yes I will be tracking but I track RDMs/PQMs/upgrades/seat assignments/ .... because I am who I am -- FTer / OC / ...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: United 1K/2MM+, American Plat For Life 3MM+, Marriott Lifetime Platinum/Platinum Premier
I have been a 1K for quite some time plus Exec Plat on American. I can say quite clearly that 1K is worth it and my overall experience with United has improved. My upgrade batting average is thru the roof this year. On the other hand, American is a mess. Sorry to say with almost 4M miles flown.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given 99%+ (my estimate) of the folks just trust the RDMs/PQMs numbers posted in their accounts presently, I would not expect those folks to do anything different with PQDs. However, I am sure there will be growing pains before this gets done right.
And yes I will be tracking but I track RDMs/PQMs/upgrades/seat assignments/ .... because I am who I am -- FTer / OC / ...
I love it! I too have spreadsheets for everything. The only way to go!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 27, 2013 at 3:30 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I have gone 0 for 10 recently on CPU's and it seems I may well go the rest of the year on my current schedule without getting an upgrade, I'm usually several places out on the upgrade queue. These are hub to hub, peak times, I'm buying lowest fare about 7-10 days out usually V->H fares. Would 1K still be worth it to you if you never get an upgrade?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I have gone 0 for 10 recently on CPU's and it seems I may well go the rest of the year on my current schedule without getting an upgrade, I'm usually several places out on the upgrade queue. These are hub to hub, peak times, I'm buying lowest fare about 7-10 days out usually V->H fares. Would 1K still be worth it to you if you never get an upgrade?
What do you do with your RPU's and GPU's?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Through the first 5 months of the year, I was batting about 80% on CPUs but, over the last two months I've dropped to 2/12. It's really strange. I typically buy Q and higher fares.

As an example, I have a flight tomorrow from DEN-CLE which is a U fare. At 96 hours, it showed 7 of 12 F seats open. I didn't clear at 96, 72, 48 or at OLCI and the flight now shows F booked full and 7 upgraded to F. It's not a complaint, just an observation as I figured this one was highly likely to CPU for me.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
What do you do with your RPU's and GPU's?
I've used 8 GPU's on LH and 1 on UA this year, all long haul - all cleared. No complaints there. RPU's sitting in my account.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:27 pm

I've used 8 GPU's on LH and 1 on UA this year, all long haul - all cleared. No complaints there. RPU's sitting in my account.
Sounds like you're doing great on the upgrades that matter. Makes 1K quite valuable and worth it.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:31 pm

Makes 1K quite valuable and worth it.
On a somewhat expensive fare being #9 on the upgrade list with 5 cleared on a 320 sure doesn't feel like it. I gotta say the domestic 1K experience sucks if you fly at peak times, I guess unless you buy full fare. You may as well be gold, the upgrade list is currently 68 deep, for a 320 that's about as bad as I've seen it.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On a somewhat expensive fare being #9 on the upgrade list with 5 cleared on a 320 sure doesn't feel like it. I gotta say the domestic 1K experience sucks if you fly at peak times, I guess unless you buy full fare. You may as well be gold, the upgrade list is currently 68 deep, for a 320 that's about as bad as I've seen it.
You bought an economy fare. Not sure what the complaint is.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:12 pm

Yeah I also don't understand. You successfully upgraded 9 long haul flights which you would not have been able to do as a Premier Gold. A domestic Premier Exec pre merger wouldn't even had a chance for a free upgrade, much less a 1K.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Has UA ever considered introducing the option for 1Ks and GS to combine 2 (or even 3 or 4) RPUs to make 1 GPU?

Last edited by OnePassenger; Aug 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:11 pm

Yeah I also don't understand. You successfully upgraded 9 long haul flights which you would not have been able to do as a Premier Gold. A domestic Premier Exec pre merger wouldn't even had a chance for a free upgrade, much less a 1K.
I don't have much intl travel planned for the next several months and getting an upgrade rate of less than 10% for dropping north of $20k doesn't seem an outstanding return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.