Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by edcho
Then switch to your foreign based address when you move. ....
In reading between the lines, it appears OP will not have a permanent address during this period of time. Probably just a mail drop??
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In reading between the lines, it appears OP will not have a permanent address during this period of time. Probably just a mail drop??
Yep. No real foreign address. At least not until probably August at the earliest.

I'll try writing a letter before the end of the year, and I'll let you guys know the results. Please do share any ideas you get, though.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Wasn't there a time on continental where you would get more eqm on international business first flights if you had a foreign address? I assume that's gone now?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Does UA allow PO box for addresses?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOvacations
Does UA allow PO box for addresses?
Yepp. Mine is a P.O Box here in Norway and no issues with that.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I actually live outside the US, so I changed my address from my Texas business address to my Costa Rica home address. Today is my first flight since making the change, and my flight notifications now arrive in Spanish.

This is not a problem for me, as I'm bilingual, but anyone thinking of doing a phantom foreign address might want to consider this consequence.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
Mine also

Originally Posted by Tor Viking
We have lived in Ecuador for the last 25 years and use a Casilla (PO Box) for our address. It has not been a problem. Most trips initiate and end here so if they ever wanted to question it that would be a strong point in our favor.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Wasn't there a time on continental where you would get more eqm on international business first flights if you had a foreign address? I assume that's gone now?
Yes, and if you upgraded using miles, you got the class-of-service RDM (or whatever the three letter acronym was back then) bonus, too, but it was a loooooong time ago.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by jpezaris
Yes, and if you upgraded using miles, you got the class-of-service RDM (or whatever the three letter acronym was back then) bonus, too, but it was a loooooong time ago.

Back when the pilot said "contact " before the engine start...
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Yes there was a time. I'm not sure it applied to all non-US addresses, but it applied to European addresses. It was 200% EQM in C - on CO and partners. I'm not sure about F.

Sadly that went long time ago.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I wonder what happens if you move from US to non-US in 2014. Does it depend on where you live on 12/31/2014? Or if you attain a higher level during the year then the system checks if you reached the PQD. If not then you have to wait to earn more PQD with a US address, but presumably a change to non US address would trigger the new status level.

As noted earlier in the thread, Delta makes you jump through hoops to change your address. But there is no sign of this yet.

I checked my UA address page and it currently has three addresses recorded. I have two foreign addresses and a US PO Box for my credit card. So you can click back and forth between these as primary address, and add more addresses if you like.

Also, I just changed my address to a European foreign address where I will be able to get mail because the Tokyo 1K desk (they still have one!) told me that there is no way that I will get the package by end January.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
I changed to my P.O. Box in Qatar, where in fact all mailing addresses are P.O. Boxes. No apparent issue; let's see if my card ever arrives.

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I actually live outside the US, so I changed my address from my Texas business address to my Costa Rica home address. Today is my first flight since making the change, and my flight notifications now arrive in Spanish.

This is not a problem for me, as I'm bilingual, but anyone thinking of doing a phantom foreign address might want to consider this consequence.
Let's hope they don't default me to Arabic.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
passport and TSA

if you change your address......what about address on passport and TSA?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steppie
I think the main concern is will UA do an audit to see where a persons tkts start from. eg You have an address outside the US listed as your address, but the vast majority of the tkts you buy are US-XXX-US .

Although I do know some people who are based outside the US and start their tkts from the US, I guess producing the tax forms from said Country will show that they are in fact living outside the US. Or other means of proving that although their tkts are US-XXX-US that in fact they reside outside the US, but it probably will be a back & forth issue and hassle

Then of cause what will COdbaUA do if they find alot more people were able to get by with this, maybe change things up for 2015 to cut down on the # of people who were able to pull it off, by insituting some min Spend as well for those outside the US
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by steppie
I think as long as you can show a valid address proof, you should be OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.