Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by jason8612
Ah I got the $60 1K statement credit
I might canx them, move the credit line over to the Sapphire and just use that card.
I would be sure to check this with Chase--I was trying to move a credit limit from one Chase card to another and was told that as of sometime last year, this was no longer allowed. In the instance, the agent upped the credit limit on the second card and I attained what I wanted, but there are some new rules that probably have to do with our perennial 'war on tourism.'

Flyer 420
in Seattle
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have any other folks in Toronto received their 1k credential kit yet? I'm waiting on two that haven't shown up.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Flyer420
I would be sure to check this with Chase--I was trying to move a credit limit from one Chase card to another and was told that as of sometime last year, this was no longer allowed. In the instance, the agent upped the credit limit on the second card and I attained what I wanted, but there are some new rules that probably have to do with our perennial 'war on tourism.'

Flyer 420
in Seattle
I've been told the same thing by Amex and Citi. Both of them cited the credit card regulations that went into effect at the same time as the debit card settlement.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Have any other folks in Toronto received their 1k credential kit yet? I'm waiting on two that haven't shown up.
Mine still hasn't arrived. When I looked at the status site it said it was being processed and would ship in one to two weeks. Don't expect to see soon.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Quote:

Originally Posted by bocastephen

Mine still hasn't arrived. When I looked at the status site it said it was being processed and would ship in one to two weeks. Don't expect to see soon.
This topic might be better to follow in the credentials received thread. However, my wife & I both see the same. We were both late qualifiers though - earned our status on Dec. 20th or so. I'm really here in BOM now, but used my Canadian address as here, I haven't been able to receive anything so far that hasn't been couriered. So I won't be able to get at it for a while anyway.

Compared to last year, I actually qualified early. I squeaked by to earn plat with a flight on Dec. 30. However, to compare, I believe I received my credentials in the last week of Jan. I was US-based then though, so maybe that's why?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: United 1K
Smile Just moved to Jakarta

After researching this pretty carefully, I decided to change the primary address on my account to Indonesia, where I live for about 4 months out of every year.

I Spoke with four different MP customer service representatives, and three of them basically said to go for it. (The fourth didn't seem to understand the rules.) Chase was helpful too, and allowed me to change the address on my MP Explorer card to match the new address on my account. So even that $95 service fee will be worthwhile! I am a college professor, and for the past 6 years or so have been 1K. I can usually manage to fly 100,000 miles, but that $10K spend requirement was going to do me in.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:18 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Hmm I moved back in Dec to my PL address. All my Chase CC have my USA address.
No PQD showing on my MP account. Just the EQM requirement. No issues with transferring miles from UR to my MP account.
So all looks good
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jbarbie
After researching this pretty carefully, I decided to change the primary address on my account to Indonesia, where I live for about 4 months out of every year.

I Spoke with four different MP customer service representatives, and three of them basically said to go for it. (The fourth didn't seem to understand the rules.) Chase was helpful too, and allowed me to change the address on my MP Explorer card to match the new address on my account. So even that $95 service fee will be worthwhile! I am a college professor, and for the past 6 years or so have been 1K. I can usually manage to fly 100,000 miles, but that $10K spend requirement was going to do me in.
Certainly no problem with changing the MP address given you live in Indonesia part of the year. However, assuming you have other things that prove your address there (besides your new Chase statement) for proof, I'd be careful about the potential unintended consequences of changing your credit card billing address.

Some online retailers in the US, for example, will only accept cards with a US billing address. Some gas stations also require you to enter a zip code at the pump. So you will no longer be able to use your Chase card there. Based on some reports and my (admittedly limited) experience, this can be even somewhat problematic when buying from UA. For example, if wanting to use the UA site for the US, when you go to pay and change the billing address to Indonesia when checking out, you may very well have the price changed to local (Indonesian) currency and be quoted a different fare based on one for the Indonesian market (which may be higher or lower than the US-based price).

I am overseas now, but still use a US billing address for my US-based cards, including my UA select, its not a problem.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Can't be any harder than what CBP asked me for during my Global Entry interview, which was a cable or utility bill listing the address. I could arrange that for my int'l address.
DL may -- and sometime has -- made it more difficult than US CBP for purposes of demonstrating residency.

UA is -- so far -- a walk in the park.

I'm just curious to see if DL gets hit by enough of a legal challenge to go the way of UA or not.

Originally Posted by rankourabu

IMO, if you have a non-US address as your residence - you should not be able to buy tickets using a US-issued credit card, and furthermore, not be able to use UA-branded CCs for benefits. People who are not US-based, do not have the luxury of UA CCs.
A lot of people who move from the US can't quickly and easily or readily enough get a non-US credit card. A growing proportion of expat Americans even have trouble opening or retaining a foreign financial account at the nearest local bank. Why do you want to make lives for international-living Americans more difficult?

People who move out of the US often do often have the benefit of US-issued bank cards, including Chase airline-affiliated credit cards. And these customers tend to be more lucrative for Chase than the average US adult without a currently valid US passport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 6, 2014 at 1:59 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by rankourabu
IMO, if you have a non-US address as your residence - you should not be able to buy tickets using a US-issued credit card, and furthermore, not be able to use UA-branded CCs for benefits. People who are not US-based, do not have the luxury of UA CCs.
Why should we not be able to buy tickets???? Most of us who are expats are not doing so to "game the system" Many expats move to other countries for a limited period, 1 year, 3 years, whatever. (Even those of us who have moved permanently are still AMERICANS!!) Most Expats probably could care a less about it being easier to get status on an airline BUT HAVE JUST AS MUCH NEED and right to use their US based CC's to buy tickets..

Now, for benefits, I tend to agree with you. I think its BS that this of us w foreign addresses are exempt fro the whole PQD thing in the first place. Its not hard for UA to figure out what we spend, does not matter what currency the ticket is sold in.

(FYI - I no longer have any US based CC's - they are all from Dubai or Abu Dhabi banks so I don't have a dog in this fight + LT 1K as well - the above is just my opinion)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Certainly no problem with changing the MP address given you live in Indonesia part of the year. However, assuming you have other things that prove your address there (besides your new Chase statement) for proof, I'd be careful about the potential unintended consequences of changing your credit card billing address.

Some online retailers in the US, for example, will only accept cards with a US billing address. Some gas stations also require you to enter a zip code at the pump. So you will no longer be able to use your Chase card there. Based on some reports and my (admittedly limited) experience, this can be even somewhat problematic when buying from UA. For example, if wanting to use the UA site for the US, when you go to pay and change the billing address to Indonesia when checking out, you may very well have the price changed to local (Indonesian) currency and be quoted a different fare based on one for the Indonesian market (which may be higher or lower than the US-based price).

I am overseas now, but still use a US billing address for my US-based cards, including my UA select, its not a problem.
Those are good points -- especially about the gas stations. I have several United credit cards from Chase, and only use the Explorer card when I am overseas, because of the no-service-fees for foreign transactions. The representative at Chase was surprisingly helpful, and in fact understood exactly why I was doing this. She said that as long as I continued to get electronic statements and pay my bills online, there should be no problem. (I also made sure to change the address on only one card.) And the 3 helpful United CS reps just said to call or Skype United from Jakarta when I was ready to buy the tickets. I almost always end up talking to them anyway, as I'm not as talented at finding upgradeable seats as many others are.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:58 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
got my 1K card out here in PL today.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA/*A:S,UC DL/ST:S Hyatt:Plat, GE
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
I have my UK address in my MP profile. I have a US billing address for my PPlusMC.

Never had a problem booking tickets.
Fingers crossed I have the same luck after switching... Did you originally register MP to the UK address or change it later?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by profintraining
Fingers crossed I have the same luck after switching... Did you originally register MP to the UK address or change it later?
I originally had my US address as my MP address - for many years.

I switched it to my UK address mid year last year.

My United Club membership card was mailed to my UK address, even though my billing address for the PresPlus card is a US address.

My 1K packet was mailed to my UK address and it was received in early March.

We collected them on our trip home in March.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:46 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I just used my Chase card which has a US billing address as I was using a UA e-certificate. Once I finished the transaction and saw the transaction was on my Chase card, I went in and deleted the US billing address as my secondary, just so there would be no problems down the line. I would have no problem proving that I have lived in Vancouver BC for over 30 years, and this is where my primary billing address is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.