Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
It would be pretty difficult/time consuming/expensive to go around auditing people with foreign addresses............My guess is that they will fine tune the PQD issue (for 2015?).........Something simple like:

The PQD spending minimum:
1. Applies to everyone OR
2. Applies to only U.S. citizens.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by EMan
It would be pretty difficult/time consuming/expensive to go around auditing people with foreign addresses...........
It would be pretty easy to search for members who had changed their addresses in the last year from US to non-US and who had no tickets that originated outside the US. That list could easily be examined to figure out the best audit candidates. Based on some of the other audits I've heard about UA performing of late I'd think this is quite likely to happen if lots of people 'move' simply for MP PQD purpses.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:05 pm

Agreed.

However, UA has stated that PQD Minimum Spend doesn't apply to foreign addresses......PERIOD. I don't see how that entitles UA to add more conditions without the required 60-day notice period........And I would think FF's would get pretty teed off with that if UA "tightens the screws" more than once a year?

Also, how do you prove that someone's address changed solely to avoid the MP PQD Min. Spend?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
The only issue I see is if you wanted a MP credit card. These are generally limited to US residents and I am pretty sure UA and Chase would talk. If you don't have a credit card cannot see any big drawbacks.
I don't see how that is an issue. I have credit cards based on 3 continents and could add Asia if I wanted as well. Your main residence should over ride any credit card holding.

The site does tend to quote in residence currency, but that can be over ridden going to a different country's UA site. Quote depends on which credit card you use for purchase in the end.

Originally Posted by EMan
It would be pretty difficult/time consuming/expensive to go around auditing people with foreign addresses............My guess is that they will fine tune the PQD issue (for 2015?).........Something simple like:

The PQD spending minimum:
1. Applies to everyone OR
2. Applies to only U.S. citizens.
If they do first then they will lose business, as no other reason to fly United internationally given superior competitive choices.

Second shouldn't apply to dual citizenship and would be foolish to apply to expats for reason above.

But who knows if United really want to become internationally competitive?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 1, 2014 at 2:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
one of the consistent disadvantages is 1k pack always shows up late, sometimes Feb/March. But this is long time problem with UA as they mail these out in bulk mail rate, so comes via sea presumably.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
I do have family (parents) in India. I just wanted to know if i had a choice to change it to a valid foreign address, should I do it and would it cause an audit later?
you can download a temporary 1k card off web site anytime, if you earn it. and call 1k if you don't receive your plastic card for replacement.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
I don't know if anyone experienced this but one potential drawback of changing to a foreign address is not qualifying for TSE pre.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D
Originally Posted by syrahnose
you can download a temporary 1k card off web site anytime, if you earn it. and call 1k if you don't receive your plastic card for replacement.
I'm not so sure. I emailed because I did not receive mine. I was told to wait. I'll wait another few days, then call again. I will not be let into the *A lounges here where I fly from without the card even though *Gold is quite clearly printed on my boarding passes.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by flyersky1
I don't know if anyone experienced this but one potential drawback of changing to a foreign address is not qualifying for TSE pre.
I changed my address to my home in Colombia back when they announced the PQD program. I have been 100% on pre-check since then.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:29 pm

That is good to know. I have a flight tomorrow and will update my post if I get Pre. I have been 100% with a US address before. However, right now my mobile boarding pass does not show it.

Originally Posted by coolcoil
I changed my address to my home in Colombia back when they announced the PQD program. I have been 100% on pre-check since then.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:06 pm

That is good to know. I have a flight tomorrow and will update my post if I get Pre. I have been 100% with a US address before. However, right now my mobile boarding pass does not show it.
I think you were statistically overdue for a Non-TSA Pre Check. (Happens to U.S. citizens, too!) Happened to me on a free ticket........But, I booked another ticket on the same day but with a different itinerary and the TSA Pre Check came back on the new Boarding Pass!

So, don't think it matters what your address is. (I have a UK address in my UA record.)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Rubbish.

Pre has nothing to do with residential address. Whether you may qualify or not is based on citizenship and/or FF status, not residential address. In fact, TSA doesn't even receive your residential address, at least not with the secure flight data that is passed onto them and used to determine pre-eligibility.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:46 pm

Settle down. You don't really know what it's based on. It's not based on citizenship because I'm not a citizen and got it 100% before. The tsa may not receive the address but UA may not send the info on the first place after the address change. The only way to know is to have more empirical evidence.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Rubbish.

Pre has nothing to do with residential address. Whether you may qualify or not is based on citizenship and/or FF status, not residential address. In fact, TSA doesn't even receive your residential address, at least not with the secure flight data that is passed onto them and used to determine pre-eligibility.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It would be pretty easy to search for members who had changed their addresses in the last year from US to non-US and who had no tickets that originated outside the US. That list could easily be examined to figure out the best audit candidates. Based on some of the other audits I've heard about UA performing of late I'd think this is quite likely to happen if lots of people 'move' simply for MP PQD purpses.
Oh?

How can UA confirm you didn't fly on another airline?

Even if your tickets originate from US, that doesn't mean your residence must be in US?

SMI/J wants 2B cuts and won't invest $$ to launch a massive auditing campaign to search tickets of millions of MP members.

For the sake of PQD? Aren't happening.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Settle down. You don't really know what it's based on. It's not based on citizenship because I'm not a citizen and got it 100% before. The tsa may not receive the address but UA may not send the info on the first place after the address change. The only way to know is to have more empirical evidence.
No. But I do know that address is not submitted - since the data that goes to the TSA is name, gender and DOB (and TT number). As has been widely reported, non-US citizens have been able to get pre-check through FF status, but once a TT number is put in where they can tell that one is not a US citizen (or Canadian with Nexus), pre-check goes away. There is plenty of evidence on the 2012 and 2013 pre-check threads. I also know that as a US citiizen with a foreign address, I've never had a problem getting pre-check when flying UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.