Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Frequently Made Points

That's the answered questions section. It could not possibly be clearer. Literally the entire purpose of that section is to avoid this issue. You'd have to be completely ignoring the actual text to interpret the explanatory entry under the question in the unanswered questions section as somehow indicating that the status of YQ is in question.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Oh, then you're right. It's not in the other section at all. I totally photoshopped that.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed that someone who is buying only the deepest discounted fares, whether an $800 RT to LHR or a $250 RT SFO-EWR, will have trouble with the PQD requirements. Which is as UA wants it.
Even a $450 transcon, which is pretty normal, isn't going to cut it. The biz traveler in Y with a travel department that's sensitive to cost isn't going to make it. Which is exactly what Jeff wants. To be 1K, you have clear the hurdle without assistance.

Wonder if this will actually swell the 1K ranks for 2014, with people seeing it as their final year for it? Most likely the answer is no. The rules are too tough for a typical flyer to understand what's coming. FT is not representative of anything resembling normal.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:25 pm

To handle the continuing issue of folks posting about low PQD percentages because, despite the admonition at the top of the wiki, they have not read the FAQ's, or because they have not read the "Frequently Made Points" on the wiki, I have now added an additional, even more explicit warning about posting sub-80% PQD rates.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Even a $450 transcon, which is pretty normal, isn't going to cut it. The biz traveler in Y with a travel department that's sensitive to cost isn't going to make it. Which is exactly what Jeff wants. To be 1K, you have clear the hurdle without assistance.

Wonder if this will actually swell the 1K ranks for 2014, with people seeing it as their final year for it? Most likely the answer is no. The rules are too tough for a typical flyer to understand what's coming. FT is not representative of anything resembling normal.
(Bolding mine.) I think you're right, which is consistent with UA's string of ill-conceived policies that will backfire. How many travel departments are not sensitive to cost? If you can find one who cares about nothing but traveler convenience and comfort, is UA really likely to be their first choice?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:07 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
It all depends on how much they fly...if you fly 200k PQMs per year, it is almost impossible not to make $10k PQD threshold.
Originally Posted by Kacee
You are talking about extreme outliers.
Indeed. Outliers aside, anyone who kept a weather eye on PQMs will likely do the same with PQDs, except of course for those with a PQD waiver.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

Totally agree with first part. UA would not have put in PQD and deal with the nuances if it was not going to reduce the FF ranks. Every which way UA can justify not counting a buck, they'll do it. I'm even suprised they are counnting E+ spending since most who would do it are not FFer anyways.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by wethereyet
Totally agree with first part. UA would not have put in PQD and deal with the nuances if it was not going to reduce the FF ranks. Every which way UA can justify not counting a buck, they'll do it. I'm even suprised they are counnting E+ spending since most who would do it are not FFer anyways.
As I indicated upthread, I think a good chunk of E+ money comes from companies, and it's corporate dollars they're chasing, so that's why they included it. A big part of the PQD thing is favoring people spending OPM. Which makes a lot of sense given the basic purpose of FF programs.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Excellent point. remember, though, that the MPSC is telling people that upgrades purchased through the "manage my reservations" tab are supposedly going to get PQD credit.
What is MPSC?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by STS-134
What is MPSC?
Mileage
Plus
Service
Center
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Frequently Made Points

That's the answered questions section. It could not possibly be clearer. Literally the entire purpose of that section is to avoid this issue. You'd have to be completely ignoring the actual text to interpret the explanatory entry under the question in the unanswered questions section as somehow indicating that the status of YQ is in question.
Then why don't you call it "The Answered Questions Section"? You could have saved yourself a meltdown.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Then why don't you call it "The Answered Questions Section"? You could have saved yourself a meltdown.
Because it includes more than just answered questions. It's been there for five months, and this is the first time someone has made the claim that somehow the structure of the wiki would somehow, despite the admonition at the very top, and despite the point in the frequently made points, less someone to believe that YQ is an unanswered question.

Moreover, it's all irrelevant. The wiki stuff was all after-the-fact justification. The other poster didn't say "I have this trip, and it's unclear what will count." He was responding to a post about PQD being a high percentage of total price by saying (paraphrased) "ORLY? Here's this trip with tiny PQD!"

It's like people are trying to invent a world where PQDs suck more than they really do, in order to catastrophize in the way that has become so popular here. I find it annoying. Others have expressed the same sentiment.

And, for the record, I like yelling at people on the internet. You can think what you want about what that makes me, but please don't impute meltdowns on me. Kthx.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Less about the 6 ranks, more about dividing customers into two groups based on spend

gS 1K...no way around spend requirement

And

Los Otros
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Less about the 6 ranks, more about dividing customers into two groups based on spend

gS 1K...no way around spend requirement

And

Los Otros
Every FF mile they give away is an expense line item. They want to cut across the board.

Less 1Ks mean less phone calls for GPUs and the like. Yet another way for UA to cut costs. I'd worry if I was a 1K call center employee
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:03 pm

Less 1Ks mean less phone calls for GPUs and the like. Yet another way for UA to cut costs. I'd worry if I was a 1K call center employee
I'd worry about that because I wouldn't exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.