Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Pegasus23
We have been told....United's Mileage plus qualification for 2014 includes a dollar spend amount that must be met along with flying the required miles. I am a 1K so I'm told I will be expected to spend at least $10,000.00 in United fares. This is without taxes & fees I pay. In other words United does not value the total cost I pay to fly United Airlines.
How much do you spend?

Pondering this.....I noticed United Pilots and Flight Attendants share the TSA facility I use, and enjoy the same level of safety I do as a passenger. I also see I am subsidizing their use of this facility in each airport. so.....I request this TSA fee and all taxes and fees, be part of what United counts toward my PDQ.
Suppose they did that but they raised the PQD threshold to make it just as hard. How would that help you?

While the following might not be popular with Some of UA's employees, it would be good to have UA Pilots & FA's pay the same fee each passenger pays, each time they use the TSA facilities.
Suppose they do that, and UA and other airlines raise their employee compensation by the amount of the fees the employees have to pay to do their job, and pass on those extra costs to you in your ticket price. How does that help you?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
How much do you spend?

My Dollars. Why do you want to know?

Suppose they did that but they raised the PQD threshold to make it just as hard. How would that help you?

Ua just did make PQD a requirement. I don't care for it. If it were raised. I still wouldn't care for it.

Suppose they do that, and UA and other airlines raise their employee compensation by the amount of the fees the employees have to pay to do their job, and pass on those extra costs to you in your ticket price. How does that help you?
If it were in the ticket price, hopefully the fare, I would get credit for it toward PQD,
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I wonder if the OP would walk into a mall and ask for a manager if the clerk refused his/her $25 off coupon off $100, when his total pre-tax was $99, and total after tax was $105 and change.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pegasus23
My Dollars. Why do you want to know?
Because it's easier to understand your complaint and your problem if I know whether you're spending $6000 to qualify for 1K or you're spending $9950 to qualify for 1K.

Of course, you don't have to discuss it. But without discussion the forums aren't very interesting.

Having more things count just doesn't make any real difference, because if more things counted they would just set the thresholds higher. They set the thresholds based on how hard they wanted it to be to qualify, and what fraction of current elites they wanted to keep. If they had counted more stuff then when they did those calculations they would just come up with a higher number.

Originally Posted by aacharya
I wonder if the OP would walk into a mall and ask for a manager if the clerk refused his/her $25 off coupon off $100, when his total pre-tax was $99, and total after tax was $105 and change.
The sales tax in a store is a percentage of what you actually pay for the goods, so you can't compute the total after tax until first you compute the discounted price of the goods.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 15, 2013 at 2:38 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The sales tax in a store is a percentage of what you actually pay for the goods, so you can't compute the total after tax until first you compute the discounted price of the goods.
That's not quite my point - without the coupon, the sales tax kicks it over $100, so in OP's model (UA should include tax in PQD) he could also use that coupon.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
[QUOTE=DaviddesJ;21279765]Because it's easier to understand your complaint and your problem if I know whether you're spending $6000 to qualify for 1K or you're spending $9950 to qualify for 1K.

Of course, you don't have to discuss it. But without discussion the forums aren't very interesting.

Having more things count just doesn't make any real difference, because if more things counted they would just set the thresholds higher. They set the thresholds based on how hard they wanted it to be to qualify, and what fraction of current elites they wanted to keep. If they had counted more stuff then when they did those calculations they would just come up with a higher number.

I have preferences more than I have complaints or problems...

I will spend over $10,000 for 1K for 2014. I prefer the total amount UA collects when I buy a UA airline ticket to go toward PDQ's . [If I buy it from UA via .com, or phone in or in person at one of their counters.]

Discussion is fine and useful for many things, including building one's post count....I find the Flyertalk forums interesting because the members are interesting. I don't care how logical or how much discussion they may generate. Each has impact.

Everything makes a difference when I look at something as a process.

As I read your post, sometimes you give me the impression you know what United will do next. Is this what you are trying to communicate? Do you work for United? or... are you just supposing what UA might do? Thought it best to ask.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Depends on the state. In California, for example, sales tax is computed on the pre-coupon price. I think the same thing occurs in Colorado (at least at Costco, which is the one place where I routinely use coupons since they're basically automatic).
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Big change that I'm worried about, since UA seems to be following DL, is to increase the low-level Business award from 100k to 125k ...
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:53 pm
RNE

This thread's title does not limit itself to past announcements. More 2014 changes are coming. It's a certitude that award amount requirements will go up.

RNE, putting on my green eyeshade to advise you that your banked miles are losing value.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, putting on my green eyeshade to advise you that your banked miles are losing value.
Wait, people keep telling me in the other threads that consolidation is going to screw the passengers by increasing fares. That means that the value of miles would go up.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
That means that the value of miles would go up.
ONLY if one assumes a constant ratio of miles to fares. Which seems a ridiculous assumption.

Dave
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bseller
ONLY if one assumes a constant ratio of miles to fares.
No. If the cost of paid tickets goes up, that increases the value of miles. If the miles to book award tickets goes up, that decreases the value of miles. These effects can both occur, and in that case they net out in a manner that it difficult to predict (except for those who claim to know everything).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Miles are in a period of inflation and this will continue for the next several years.

If fares go up, there apparent value does climb but only if they can be utilized for travel. Award mile requirements will go up, and spend requirements will go up, to fuel the speculation fire.

If you are sitting on a large MP account, I would spend down now.

Originally Posted by RNE
This thread's title does not limit itself to past announcements. More 2014 changes are coming. It's a certitude that award amount requirements will go up.

+1 on this view

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 27, 2013 at 4:55 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Miles are in a period of inflation and this will continue for the next several years.

If fares go up, there apparent value does climb but only if they can be utilized for travel. Award mile requirements will go up, and spend requirements will go up, to fuel the speculation fire.

If you are sitting on a large MP account, I would spend down now.

+1 on this view
A period of inflation?

In June 2011 was the last change at United.
Some fares went up and some down.

[From http://boardingarea.com/frequentlyfl...-june-15-2011/]

Those changes have saved me easily 50,000 miles.

Award miles future value is at best tangential to the OP's original post.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No. If the cost of paid tickets goes up, that increases the value of miles. If the miles to book award tickets goes up, that decreases the value of miles. These effects can both occur, and in that case they net out in a manner that it difficult to predict (except for those who claim to know everything).
Availability of seats to use miles for can also vary - and as shown by the thread discussing the drying up of last minute space, it may not be headed in the right direction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.