Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BH62
What about this? If it goes to UA, no matter what, then it counts, unless it's an "apology" ecert which translates to a future discount. Otherwise, if it goes to some govt entity (tax, TSA fees, whatever), then it doesn't count as far as UA is concerned. Would this help clear up some of those devilish details?
I'm guessing you haven't read the FAQ at a top? There's a *lot* that we don't know one way or the other if it will count.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm guessing you haven't read the FAQ at a top? There's a *lot* that we don't know one way or the other if it will count.
I have read this *many* times; what I suggested above was just a sort of cash-flow shortcut. But then I had some misgivings when I remembered that "apologies" can be taken as ecerts, miles or discount on future flights & was about to ammend my post when I saw your reply. OK, [shrugs shoulders] [hands in air] ... I give up. There is *no* simple answer ... I'll await some definitive response from UA which, no doubt, will engender a round of protests along the lines of "but you didn't do this when we thought you ought to do that". Way back when this all started a comment was made that those increments of PQD ($2500, $5000, etc) had no real basis except they were round numbers that translated to status miles flown. How much, if anything, would UA "lose" if the totals were just based on gross cash outlay w/o segregating all those categories that have given rise to the wiki?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BH62
How much, if anything, would UA "lose" if the totals were just based on gross cash outlay w/o segregating all those categories that have given rise to the wiki?
I suspect they are concerned about MRers finding some shortcut to generate "spend" of which little or nothing goes to UA. That's why they want this rule, which isn't a big deal for most people.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
I suspect they are concerned about MRers finding some shortcut to generate "spend" of which little or nothing goes to UA. That's why they want this rule, which isn't a big deal for most people.
I suspect that they neither care about, nor make any rules w/r/t mileage runners, since this would be akin to making world wide hunting rules based on the mating habits of the blue footed sneetch.

They are after *A "mileage creditors" pure and simple.

Dave
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by bseller
I suspect that they neither care about, nor make any rules w/r/t mileage runners, since this would be akin to making world wide hunting rules based on the mating habits of the blue footed sneetch.
What about Star Bellied Sneetches?

Originally Posted by bseller
They are after *A "mileage creditors" pure and simple.
No, no, no. Smirkin' Smisek definitely wanted to stick it to those something-for-nothing mileage runners.

RNE, but who doesn't?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
^^^^^

The number of times I've made a reference to that story and no one knows what I'm talking about...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
^^^^^

The number of times I've made a reference to that story and no one knows what I'm talking about...
That story is my all time favourite!

To take issue with a post above, I think the 016 ticket rule and segregating out the taxes are going to be HUGE problems. Aside from anything else, it's complicated and not easy for many people to understand. It also hides what the real spend requirements are. I expect there will be quite a few unhappily surprised peple come the start of 2015.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That story is my all time favourite!

To take issue with a post above, I think the 016 ticket rule and segregating out the taxes are going to be HUGE problems. Aside from anything else, it's complicated and not easy for many people to understand. It also hides what the real spend requirements are. I expect there will be quite a few unhappily surprised peple come the start of 2015.
Especially after they retroactively adjust the reported PQD to correct original errors in its calculation. (Of course, the savvy people here on FT will know from a UA Insider post that their original credit will be grandfathered if they simply call in or email their requests several times!)
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
This sounds about right. I'm not sure that UA thinks it's a big problem, though.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: Continental
Oh really?

Originally Posted by Kacee
It depends on what you mean by "estimate." Even including LHR, virtually all tickets are going to price out at approximately 85-92% PQD. I would imagine that's a close enough "estimate" for most peoples' purposes. Also, you do see the breakdown before you purchase the ticket.
Take a look at this ticket for SFO-FCO next January:

1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $803.00
Additional Taxes/Fees $694.60
Total $1,497.60
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Take a look at this ticket for SFO-FCO next January:

1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $803.00
Additional Taxes/Fees $694.60
Total $1,497.60
And around and around we go.

Wanna post a breakdown of those fees?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
^^^^^

And here I thought it was just a line in a Dead Kennedys song Thanks for helping me learn something today. ^
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K
And here I thought it was just a line in a Dead Kennedys song Thanks for helping me learn something today. ^
It's amazing that the story doesn't come out more on this forum, considering the way people treat status
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 3,666.00 USD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 518.90 USD

I'm over 1/3 of the way to 10k spend with this z fare to BKK next year. First time I've ever purchased a biz class ticket from the get-go. I've always just relied on upgrades. I'll also be liking the 150% EQMs or whatever they are called now. Off to a good start......
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: United Gold
I found one that will get me all my PQDs at once. HNL-NRT via SFO in P/A January 16-21, 2014.

Code:
1 Adults (age 18 to 64)  $10,525.00
Additional Taxes/Fees        $91.80
Total                    $10,616.80
Woohoo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.