Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
So I booked my first trip of 2014. Here is the breakout on my receipt:

I assume this means I am getting 741.17 EQDs (do they round?) for the ticket?
That would be my assumption. And isn't it PQD, or PQ$ At least that's what the thread title says
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by EmailKid
That would be my assumption. And isn't it PQD, or PQ$ At least that's what the thread title says
Yeah sorry, typoed that. I'm still used to EQMs.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Yeah sorry, typoed that. I'm still used to EQMs.
I knew that Old habits die hard @:-)

Back OT: got three trips booked already, guess I should start keeping track of PQ$
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So, it's December 28th. So far, PQDs haven't been added to the existing UA.com. Anyone want to predict whether:

1) the PQD calculation is added to the existing UA.com on 1 January;

2) UA rolls out the new UA.com on January 1 which includes PQD calculations; or

3) UA says the PQD calculation is still under development and will be rolled out in the near future?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by halls120
So, it's December 28th. So far, PQDs haven't been added to the existing UA.com. Anyone want to predict whether:

3) UA says the PQD calculation is still under development and will be rolled out in the near future?
UA Insider has already stated that #1 will be true. The fact it appeared briefly earlier this month seems to indicate that it will be added to the current site, too.

(Whether or not #2 will happen at the same time hasn't been confirmed. I highly doubt it, though.)
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Dollars to donuts we're looking at #3, best case
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Dollars to donuts we're looking at #3, best case
No way. United announced number 1 already and usually they can be counted on. When they don't have a definite date, they are silent. Delta rolled out the MQD calculation months ago and United is their main competitor.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCBob
No way. United announced number 1 already and usually they can be counted on. When they don't have a definite date, they are silent. Delta rolled out the MQD calculation months ago and United is their main competitor.
This is the same company that still scrambles seats for no reason, is unable to keep a 2 person PNR together for upgrade purposes, and shows RJs running TATL after a schedule update. Call me skeptical if you will.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This is the same company that still scrambles seats for no reason, is unable to keep a 2 person PNR together for upgrade purposes, and shows RJs running TATL after a schedule update. Call me skeptical if you will.
Hard as it may be to believe, PQD will be visible n January 1.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National

A related prediction:
(1) PQD calculation be accurate
(2) PQD will have errors/missing items and
(a) there will be a published procedure to correct the errors
(b) there will be no such procedure
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you think about it, they are implementing such a big change while laying off people. So, certain things will probably fall through the cracks.

As far as what the website will show, from other posts that say to look at the source code, it seems maybe the "hooks" are already in and it will just behave differently come 1/1. Has anyone tried to set their PC's time to 2014 and see if it displays differently?

It does not seem smart to roll out a major website revamp on a holiday week but what's my point, right
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I set up my own spread sheet to track dollar spend. The hard part os knowing whats going to count
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by username
If you think about it, they are implementing such a big change while laying off people. So, certain things will probably fall through the cracks.

As far as what the website will show, from other posts that say to look at the source code, it seems maybe the "hooks" are already in and it will just behave differently come 1/1. Has anyone tried to set their PC's time to 2014 and see if it displays differently?

It does not seem smart to roll out a major website revamp on a holiday week but what's my point, right
Most (if not all) time-based code is based on the server clock -- not the client computer. Otherwise i'd be online cyber monday shopping a few days before .
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Hard as it may be to believe, PQD will be visible on January 1.
A number labeled PQD will certainly be visible Jan 1. What is hard to believe is that it will be correct.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by tromer
A number labeled PQD will certainly be visible Jan 1. What is hard to believe is that it will be correct.
For me it will be zer until my flights from January 5, 2014 pst. In reality, both UA and CO tracked this information. The errors I found in what was tracked were always in the customer's favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.