Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Just as a heads up, today we added a few additional FAQ about 2014 PQD to mileageplusupdates.com. There's more detail on which Economy Plus purchases count, additional forms of payment, and an overview of the display you'll see on united.com in 2014.

A link to this information is also included in this month's My MileagePlus statement email, which we started sending to members earlier today.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Thanks for the update Aaron. Question though...

Codeshare and partner flights: If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn. The fare class that appears on your ticket may differ from the fare class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.
So if I fly a partner that earns 50% on a fare PQM... does that mean that 50% of the PQDs would count or the full PQDs? Obviously if they earn 0% PQMs, then 0% of the PQDs would count.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
We're still missing definitive answers on some things, such as whether accelerator purchases will earn PQD credit. I assume those will be forthcoming before Jan. 1, right?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sogboulder
We're still missing definitive answers on some things, such as whether accelerator purchases will earn PQD credit. I assume those will be forthcoming before Jan. 1, right?
Expressio.unius est.exclusio.alterius...
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:04 pm
smn

*A flight # count towards PQD?

I saw in the rules that any *A flight counts towards PQD as long as on a 016 ticket.

I just booked a flight SEA-IAD-FRA-JNB-CPT (RT) through United. When I booked, the fare showed as ~$1500 fare + $200 taxes, so I figured that the $1500 would count towards PQD.

JNB-CPT was booked on SAA. FRA-JNB is on Lufthansa. The rest on UA (metal.)

However, once it ticketed, it now shows the fare as $858 and $850 in Taxes/Fees.

The ticketing breakdown includes:
International Surcharge: $590
International Surcharge (YR): $45

So, what will my PQD be? $1493 or $858?

Should I cancel my reservation and rebook? A bit confused here. Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
According to all that has been posted, carrier imposed surcharge should count toward PQD. So $1493 should be the right answer.

As I pointed out in a different thread, United's Itinerary page shows the Fuel surcharges as part of the fare before ticketing, but once it tickets, the fuel surcharge is split out and moved to the "Taxes and fee" section as you observed, but should count in any case.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes, somewhat
but how the split would be handled for a cross-year ticket has not been clarified. Following the fare construction could be the solution.
The posting of PQD will follow the allocation of the total dollars for the fare across its segments, and therefore will follow the fare construction as you surmise.

Originally Posted by STS-134
Except .bomb doesn't actually tell you the break-down by segment. I have a cross-year round trip ticket, and I happen to know the break-down because Matrix told me, but I fail to see how an ordinary person would find this information.
Dollars will be credited according to the scheduled year of departure of each segment. This is the same way that miles are credited.

And I still don't know whether the copay that I paid for my upgrade (on the 2014 segment) will count toward 2014 PQD.
If the dollars are part of the per-coupon price of the ticket I would expect them to count. Otherwise I would not expect them to count. Generally, dollars paid for a copay are not rolled into the fare.

Originally Posted by fragment54
If you buy a ticket but do not fly, do you get PQD?
N. PQD will be earned when a paid segment posts.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by davewang202
According to all that has been posted, carrier imposed surcharge should count toward PQD. So $1493 should be the right answer.

As I pointed out in a different thread, United's Itinerary page shows the Fuel surcharges as part of the fare before ticketing, but once it tickets, the fuel surcharge is split out and moved to the "Taxes and fee" section as you observed, but should count in any case.
+1 ... assuming they are PQM earning eligible fare class on UA.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:27 pm
smn

Thanks edcho and davewong202. That actually makes sense about the fuel surcharge being in the fare pre-ticketing and separated out post-ticketing. So as long as UA holds true to its word (ha) about carrier surcharges, I should be fine.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by smn
Thanks edcho and davewong202. That actually makes sense about the fuel surcharge being in the fare pre-ticketing and separated out post-ticketing. So as long as UA holds true to its word (ha) about carrier surcharges, I should be fine.
ON the GDS I can only see base fare when doing a fare query...
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't really see the ambiguity here, UA made a list of what counts and didn't list accelerator purchases. Just griefing?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Expressio.unius est.exclusio.alterius...
Its nice to see such a high intellectual level on FT - above the "I don't like the new rules so I need them clarified more" crowd.

Im going to have to read your posts more carefully before I blast away.

-Socrates drinking the hemlock (cup, they wouldn't give me the can)

Covered ad nauseam.

No PQD credit for accelerator.

Last edited by LaserSailor; Dec 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Covered ad nauseum.

No PQD credit for accelerator.
Nauseam. With an "a". 1st declension, singular accusative.

And given the apparent disparity between how PQD is calculated for paid upgrades depending on whether one buys them at reservation time or later, it's really not too much to want a specific statement from UAL one way or the other.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Nauseam. With an "a". 1st declension, singular accusative.

And given the apparent disparity between how PQD is calculated for paid upgrades depending on whether one buys them at reservation time or later, it's really not too much to want a specific statement from UAL one way or the other.
Wouldn't surprise me if UA adds a PQD accelerator option in addition to the RDM/PQM accelerator options. If someone flies 100,000 miles on $9,000 PQDs and wants to simply give UA the remaining $1,000 for status, it wouldn't make sense for United to turn it down - albeit perhaps with a markup for "convenience" (i.e., not having to fly).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jbsay
Wouldn't surprise me if UA adds a PQD accelerator option in addition to the RDM/PQM accelerator options. If someone flies 100,000 miles on $9,000 PQDs and wants to simply give UA the remaining $1,000 for status, it wouldn't make sense for United to turn it down - albeit perhaps with a markup for "convenience" (i.e., not having to fly).
I have asked this specific question and the answer I got is that we will not be able to buy our way into the $10K spend requirement.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jbsay
I'm sure you could find a way to spend that much on a ticket if need be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.