Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by unavaca
TK does this in IST -- it's pretty good, IMO.
Zero chance of United ever emulating any of the dozens of great things about the TK IST lounge.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:04 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAway
UA could save a lot of money and provide a more welcoming environment at many of these clubs by simply installing card-reading turnstiles.
This came up in a focus group once about 5 or 6 years ago; UA was interested (they brought it up and wanted to know how we'd feel about it), but nothing ever came of it obviously.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Do you believe that this behavior is "well known" to the broader FT community?

I have never before seen a thread on FT that describes the pervasive "making up of rules" that you mention is "well known" to have occurred in the past.

I also feel well qualified to personally question this assertion, because during my years as both a GS and a 1K, IAD was my primary hub. I worked on a project that required me to fly to/from IAD on a very routine basis for several years, and, I used IAD as the jumping off point for many European flights. As such, I have more experience with IAD than any airport other than my home airport of SFO, and I can tell you for a fact that I never once experienced any sort of "rogue" behavior from a PMUA employee at an RCC lounge as OP describes in this thread.
Yes, well known.

Even at the SFO UCs, the lounge guards still stamp the BPs and deny the existsence of the GFL.

Yep I am familiar with every one of those threads.
Originally Posted by dan1431

I have come across it myself and I scratch my head because for the life of me I cannot understand it, as I can see it there is no benefit to the employee for turning away a passenger who rightfully belongs there (especially if the PAX decided to further the issues the employee could end up in trouble).

Dan
The ability to exercise power generates pleasure in their brains.

Last edited by Xyzzy; May 27, 2013 at 10:09 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old May 27, 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I certainly did. In fact, IAD is probably the *only* airport I've ever had any trouble with a club moat dragon (Oh wait - there was that one incident at ORD more than a decade past). Even as a GS I was routinely subjected to random rules and surly attitudes there. I still can't decide whether it's IAD or IAH that makes me feel more like I'm in the 3rd World.
For me, it would be IAH. That's the only UC where I've ever had any problem with a club moat dragon. Twice. Now, when I walk into IAH UC, I just expect to be attacked.

Thanks for doing this research. I note that the key issue here seems to revolve around drink chits. Here, we are talking about making up arbitrary rules, attitudes, and arbitrary denial of access to members based on made up rules. I don't see much in the posts you provided that indicate a pattern of this type. I only see lots of talk about drink chits.

I can see how drink chits are a problem at IAD and how the behavior/attitude at the bars there is also bad. I had a fight with one of the bartenders there who refused to accept my drink chit. I forgot about that, as it was a long time ago, and I don't usually drink before/after/during flight.

But, your example doesn't seem to point to a well known pattern of denying entry to members or other forms or arbitrary rule fabrication.

Originally Posted by dan1431
I will never understand why agents makeup rules, there is just no rhyme nor reason for doing so.

I am positive that UA does NOT deduct funds from employee's paychecks for allowing in passengers who rightfully belong there (even if the club is crowded), likewise I am positive that UA does NOT remunerate employees for denying passengers access to the club who rightfully belong there, so what could be reasoning for an employee do so?
  1. Poor Training?
  2. Rouge Club Manager?
  3. Employees with Curmudgeonly Personalities?

There has to be a reason!
Hypothesis: They are incredibly angry and miserable.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by mre5765
You should have collected their names for the complaint letter. A gratis year of UC is appropriate compensation. You should have called the United Club complaint line while waiting.

After the walk way between T3 and the international terminal was added, for a while I did get 'tude from RCC wardens in the latter terminal. But was never denied.
Now THERE's some over-entitlement for you. A year membership?
Just curious. How was that arrived at for "appropriate compensation?"
Old May 27, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by xzh445
Indeed. It seems like more of a punishment.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You should have collected their names for the complaint letter. A gratis year of UC is appropriate compensation. You should have called the United Club complaint line while waiting.
Don't bother. Each time I sent a complaint to Customer Care about UC, UC will take over and say this and that without compensation, even it is their fault.

I have never seen anyone (including myself) that can get UC to do anything.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by dahaberm
I was wondering every time I am at the UC in ewr they demand a boarding pass along with my club card where at LAx the club card is enough
Any idea why they won't allow entry unless I show a boarding pass?
They want to make sure that they are granting entry to you, and not to someone that you lent your card to (or who stole your card). you can also show them ID (driver's license, etc) instead of a BP.

Some clubs (e.g., LAX) aren't as strict as others (e.g., SFO), IMHO. YMMV.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Thanks for doing this research. I note that the key issue here seems to revolve around drink chits. Here, we are talking about making up arbitrary rules, attitudes, and arbitrary denial of access to members based on made up rules. I don't see much in the posts you provided that indicate a pattern of this type. I only see lots of talk about drink chits.

I can see how drink chits are a problem at IAD and how the behavior/attitude at the bars there is also bad. I had a fight with one of the bartenders there who refused to accept my drink chit. I forgot about that, as it was a long time ago, and I don't usually drink before/after/during flight.

But, your example doesn't seem to point to a well known pattern of denying entry to members or other forms or arbitrary rule fabrication.
Well, you asked for examples of pervasive making up of rules... the examples I found in a two-minute quick search came up with threads about both drink chits and lounge access - each thread with plenty of eye-rolling of the here-we-go-again kind. If you do a proper search there is plenty more. A lot of things were better in pmUA (and in pmCO too, but that's another story), but IAD dragons haven't changed much.

There used to be a hilarious thread (now sadly lost, I think there was an FT archive disaster a few years back) in the LH forum about "Matron" who guarded the MUC SEN lounge like a dragon watching over a gold treasure. Everybody had a story about her condescension and capriciousness, and there were lengthy attempts at explaining her psychology. I recall one of them being that, judging by her accent and demeanour, she's probably the daughter of a doctor or a lawyer, and whilst she tries to keep up the pretence that she has a glamorous job at Lufthansa, she is embittered over the fact that she is in fact little more than "a glorified waitress".

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; May 28, 2013 at 12:37 am
Old May 28, 2013, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by xzh445
Well the alternative would be to refund the membership.

The point of a membership is to eliminate impediments to using the service.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Indeed. It seems like more of a punishment.
Indeed it is.

You can easily find examples where guests are refused access after the guard questions the nature of the relationship between the member and the guest.

Last edited by mre5765; May 28, 2013 at 12:45 am
Old May 28, 2013, 12:39 am

Here's my favourite quote from the threads I dug up:

Resolved?

Resolution would be a dragon's head on an RCC styrofoam plate.
Old May 28, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Next time, use LH lounge near B45. Hot food, showers, etc. Much better than UA club.
Old May 28, 2013, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by cloudybw
Next time, use LH lounge near B45. Hot food, showers, etc. Much better than UA club.
In general: Yes. If your flight leaves in 45 minutes from gate C8, and your credentials are UC membership plus domestic flight: No.
Old May 28, 2013, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Here's my favourite quote from the threads I dug up:
This is what I get for becoming moderate. Three years ago I called decapitation when a mere guest was refused and was roundly cheered. Today I call for merely a free year of membership when a member was denied and am called over entitled.

Enough.

Proper compensation for OP would be the gift of a scale model, game changing 787 with the cockpit wimdows encrusted with gems cut from the eyes of two C8 dragons.
Old May 28, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by cloudybw
If you're Star Alliance Gold they will let you in the Senator lounge, otherwise you get sent downstairs to the Business lounge (which is where the showers are)

As to not being let in to the UC, I find that very strange and will test it the next time I'm at IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.