FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1470382-so-i-got-refused-admission-iad-united-club.html)

KevinB May 26, 2013 6:23 pm

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

This morning I was flying IAD-LAX, and tried to go into the IAD United Club near Gate C-8. The sign said United Club, and I have a membership in the Club, so it seemed like a logical place to spend some time before my flight.

The woman at the front desk was busy, so one of the agents at the counter called me over, and asked where I was flying. I told her LAX, and she told me that "this is an International United Club" and turned me away. She didn't scan my electronic Boarding Pass, or ask for my United Club Card.

I told her I thought it was ridiculous, since it says United Club outside, and it definitely wasn't the International First Lounge. She repeated that the Club was ONLY for people flying international flights....

I left and sat near my gate waiting for my flight, but thought I would check into things on my phone.... The United CLub near C8 was listed as a regular Club. I went back in and asked the woman at the front desk if it was a regular Club. She told me it was.

I asked her why the woman at the other desk refused to let me in. The woman from across the entrance again said, "this is an international lounge". Another employee standing nearby started to say that it was an international lounge too...

The front desk scanned my card and ID, and told me I could come in... I asked to speak with the manager. They left me standing there for 10 minutes, and I finally had to go because I could see my flight was boarding.

Funny that I then got onto a plane where Smisek talked about how it's the employees who make United Special... Maybe the IAD United Club employees should try watching that video. :mad:

WineCountryUA May 26, 2013 6:25 pm

sighhhh ... :(

sammyindc May 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by KevinB (Post 20815691)
This morning I was flying IAD-LAX, and tried to go into the IAD United Club near Gate C-8. The sign said United Club, and I have a membership in the Club, so it seemed like a logical place to spend some time before my flight.

The woman at the front desk was busy, so one of the agents at the counter called me over, and asked where I was flying. I told her LAX, and she told me that "this is an International United Club" and turned me away. She didn't scan my electronic Boarding Pass, or ask for my United Club Card.

I told her I thought it was ridiculous, since it says United Club outside, and it definitely wasn't the International First Lounge. She repeated that the Club was ONLY for people flying international flights....

I left and sat near my gate waiting for my flight, but thought I would check into things on my phone.... The United CLub near C8 was listed as a regular Club. I went back in and asked the woman at the front desk if it was a regular Club. She told me it was.

I asked her why the woman at the other desk refused to let me in. The woman from across the entrance again said, "this is an international lounge". Another employee standing nearby started to say that it was an international lounge too...

The front desk scanned my card and ID, and told me I could come in... I asked to speak with the manager. They left me standing there for 10 minutes, and I finally had to go because I could see my flight was boarding.

Funny that I then got onto a plane where Smisek talked about how it's the employees who make United Special... Maybe the IAD United Club employees should try watching that video. :mad:

There are no "international" United Clubs. There are United Clubs and United Global First Lounge. The C8 IAD club is a regular United Club and obviously the agent was ignorant. I would write a comment to UA to let them know so that the same doesn't happen to other passengers.

mre5765 May 26, 2013 6:52 pm

You should have collected their names for the complaint letter. A gratis year of UC is appropriate compensation. You should have called the United Club complaint line while waiting.

After the walk way between T3 and the international terminal was added, for a while I did get 'tude from RCC wardens in the latter terminal. But was never denied.

SFflyer123 May 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Agree.

That sounds quite ridiculous. United club is United Club. Period. there is no "international" club. i would definitely complain, especially since you're are red carpet--I mean United--club member.

It should be absolutely irrelevant where you're flying to if you're a member. I have flown other airlines and gone to the United Club to wait, but that was when I was a full paying member. You're paying good money to get into that club, regardless of where you're flying to you.

KevinB May 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc (Post 20815731)
There are no "international" United Clubs. There are United Clubs and United Global First Lounge. The C8 IAD club is a regular United Club and obviously the agent was ignorant. I would write a comment to UA to let them know so that the same doesn't happen to other passengers.

Is there somewhere to complain about the United Club, or do I just write to Premier Voice?

If it was one agent it wouldn't have bothered me as much as watching a second male agent roll his eyes at me and quietly say to the other agent that she wouldn't have to worry about anything as he walked past her to get the manager after I asked.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure he actually did anything... Maybe that's why the manager never showed up.

mre5765 May 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by KevinB (Post 20815797)
Is there somewhere to complain about the United Club, or do I just write to Premier Voice?

The phone number for the United Club Service Center is on the back of your card. I would have been on the phone while I was kept waiting for the manager.

If you didn't have your card, then it was permissible to deny you entry.

Will be making a special effort to use C8 next time I am in IAD on a domestic itin.

Often1 May 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Let's not make this more than it is: one single poorly trained CSR, likely assigned to the UC to fill in.

Use the web form to file a complaint (hopefully 1/4 the length of the post here) and be done with it:

"I was denied entry to the UC near gate C8 although I am a paying UC member, on the grounds that it was an "international lounge". It wasn't a GF lounge. This ocurred at approximately [time] and the agent is described as [basic description]."

KevinB May 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 20815827)
The phone number for the United Club Service Center is on the back of your card. I would have been on the phone while I was kept waiting for the manager.

If you didn't have your card, then it was permissible to deny you entry.

Will be making a special effort to use C8 next time I am in IAD on a domestic itin.

I had my card, and the first agent never asked for it. She was already throwing me out as soon as I told her I was flying to LAX.

I didn't know about the card having a number on the back. Good to know in case it ever happens again.

KevinB May 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20815837)
Let's not make this more than it is: one single poorly trained CSR, likely assigned to the UC to fill in.

Use the web form to file a complaint (hopefully 1/4 the length of the post here) and be done with it:

"I was denied entry to the UC near gate C8 although I am a paying UC member, on the grounds that it was an "international lounge". It wasn't a GF lounge. This ocurred at approximately [time] and the agent is described as [basic description]."

Actually it was two poorly trained agents. :rolleyes:

mre5765 May 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20815837)

Nope it is two "poorly trained" club guards. Which means that the manager is at fault.

omegadeal May 26, 2013 7:55 pm

I've seen the same thing in EWR where I've flown in and needed to take a phone call in a private area. The club agent insisted that I could only get in with an international ticket even though I am paid member. After trying to explain that I actually pay for my membership she let me in but acted like she was doing me a favor or making an exception.

catocony May 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Well, you could have gone the C-17 club, which I think is better than the C-8 one. But, appealing to the club manager at IAD. If it's the same manager as a couple of years ago - Liz - she's very nice and pleasant, but doesn't seem to have much authority. That's crazy of the matron, but in the 8 years I was an RCC member, I saw a little of everything at the IAD clubs. I had a long argument with one matron who insisted I needed a passport to go to Puerto Rico.

ORDnHKG May 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by KevinB (Post 20815842)
I had my card, and the first agent never asked for it. She was already throwing me out as soon as I told her I was flying to LAX.

Originally Posted by omegadeal (Post 20815950)
I've seen the same thing in EWR where I've flown in and needed to take a phone call in a private area. The club agent insisted that I could only get in with an international ticket even though I am paid member. After trying to explain that I actually pay for my membership she let me in but acted like she was doing me a favor or making an exception.

You know you don't even need to answer her question right ? That's what I do, show her the membership card and ID or boarding pass and ID without saying a word.

KevinB May 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 20816084)
You know you don't even need to answer her question right ? That's what I do, show her the membership card and ID or boarding pass and ID without saying a word.

Suddenly wish I had some more trips through IAD just so I could visit again... and again... and again.... :D