Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

In my 9 yrs at IAD RCC - I have never given out drink chits for *G going int'l

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco

Get a load of this...

I was going from IAD to MUC, yesterday and went to the RCC at C17. After giving the matron my boarding pass, I wait for the drink chits...nothing...so I ask..."Can I have the drink chits, I think I am entitled to two".

The matron flat out (with a straight face) that only business class passengers are entitled to them and that in 9 yrs of working in the RCC she has never given them out to *G.

I calmly stated that *Gs are indeed entitled to drink chits. She states that she doesn't want to argue and starts to type away at the computer looking for the rule...she can't find it (or so she says) and tells me that she will contact Chicago. She also states that her supervisor specifically told her that drink chits are for business class passengers.

I stepped aside, waiting for her to prove me wrong...she gives me this look and states that she does not have time and hands me one drink chit. I take it and state that I am entitled to two. She responds back "let's start with this one...come back and we'll talk". What! What kind of response was that...I did not need to be treated like a child, nor did I need to waste me time coming back to claim another drink chit....

UA - Give the IAD matrons some more training....
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:12 am

Programs: UA1k LH-FT HHGold PC Choice
Yes, I think I know HER! Was passing thru MCO-IAD-YYZ 12/19.
Same story. No chits! Was with wife and 1 kid so I did not press the point. Kinda makes me want to avoid IAD.... But then, same thing with ORD lounges!

Mostly I do not bother as I can get free booze on the plane anyway.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:22 am

Programs: Some good, some bad
Must be the same one who refused to give me any for the same reason (because I was traveling in Y to LHR) on the 28th of December. I was told the same story but was not in the mood to question it. 1 $5 Corona later I left.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:27 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Bad agent.

You are entitled to two chits:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...07&postcount=3

Worth travelling with these codes.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Bad agent.

You are entitled to two chits:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...07&postcount=3

Yep...you are telling me...what the hell has she been doing for the past 9 years to not know the rules...or at least the last two years (since the link update).

Why does UA need to get stingy with the drinks? Just make it mandatory for the drink chits...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:56 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
UA must be so proud of this agent, otherwise by now, they would have done something about her.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:08 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I think I met the same employee in December - After settling down at the bar in the RCC** I realized that I hadn't been given any drink chits. Walked back to the counter and said "Could I have my two drink chits?" and she looked up and said "Sorry, I didn't realize you were in business class."

Perhaps I should have taken the trouble to say "No I'm *G, going trans-ocean in economy," but I decided to avoid a lengthy discussion.

** I also notice that this bar features hajib wearing bar staff? It's almost like they're actively discouraging you from ordering that Corona....
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:21 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I was there in december on a ticket I paid to upgrade to C, and wasn't offered anything in the way of chits, wasnt in the mood for drinks (flu) so didn't bother, but still.....
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:24 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
This is why there are three RCCs at IAD. If you hit all three, you may get a total of two chits.

Chit happens.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:35 am

Programs: Some good, some bad
Originally Posted by dulcamara
This is why there are three RCCs at IAD. If you hit all three, you may get a total of two chits.

Chit happens.
If you enter one RCC and then leave to go to another, when they swipe your BP at the second RCC, can't they see that you already entered another one first?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:37 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by muc2asia
Get a load of this...

I was going from IAD to MUC, yesterday and went to the RCC at C17. After giving the matron my boarding pass, I wait for the drink chits...nothing...so I ask..."Can I have the drink chits, I think I am entitled to two".

The matron flat out (with a straight face) that only business class passengers are entitled to them and that in 9 yrs of working in the RCC she has never given them out to *G.

I calmly stated that *Gs are indeed entitled to drink chits. She states that she doesn't want to argue and starts to type away at the computer looking for the rule...she can't find it (or so she says) and tells me that she will contact Chicago. She also states that her supervisor specifically told her that drink chits are for business class passengers.

I stepped aside, waiting for her to prove me wrong...she gives me this look and states that she does not have time and hands me one drink chit. I take it and state that I am entitled to two. She responds back "let's start with this one...come back and we'll talk". What! What kind of response was that...I did not need to be treated like a child, nor did I need to waste me time coming back to claim another drink chit....

UA - Give the IAD matrons some more training....
The hags don't need more training - they're trained to do exactly what they are doing!

I'm PMing you with the name of the RCC manager. You must follow up on this. Did you get the person's name as well as her supervisor's name?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
This ought to be the first, last, and standard response to any thread in which an FT'er finds a Matron not following the rules. Should be just as standard as: "Call Again!"

Best, Dave
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gre
The hags don't need more training - they're trained to do exactly what they are doing!

I'm PMing you with the name of the RCC manager. You must follow up on this. Did you get the person's name as well as her supervisor's name?
Thanks...I will follow-up with a nice educational letter...the response should be good...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gre

You must follow up on this. Did you get the person's name as well as her supervisor's name?
As I've posted several times before, never once had an issue with IAD RCC's and chits despite 100 visits. Could be the accent, but they always are nice to me.

HOWEVER, if what occurred to OP occurred to me I'd politely ask her for her name and her Supervisor's. I am a pretty big guy and I'd be patiently standing immobile right at that desk until that name handover occurred. Which is my perfect right as a 7 year 1K who knows the rules. And anyone who knows me will vouch that is just what would be going down.

One similar matron at SFO once walked the entire length of the It'l lounge clutching about SIX chits after I did the exact same number on her. She had to hand over the chits with a grovelling back down, in front of my partner and a senior member of this board, and all others at the bar, which would have been her worst back down for sometime I'd guess.

A few folks doing that - and following up - will soon see Ms IAD mopping out Johns is my guess. @:-)
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have not had any problem getting chits at the RCC @ D Concourse. I usually try to avoid C 16 as much as I can.

At least you weren't denied entry as a *G-MMF, I got denied entry at BWI last month with a same day international itinerary.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=19989

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.