Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

In my 9 yrs at IAD RCC - I have never given out drink chits for *G going int'l

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In my 9 yrs at IAD RCC - I have never given out drink chits for *G going int'l

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
No, I was not traveling internationally, so no chits. They just pretty much .....ed and moaned nonstop. Nothing else noteworthy, really.
Did you see anyone asking for drink chits and getting denied?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muc2asia
Did you see anyone asking for drink chits and getting denied?
Fortunately, no. I was trying to listen for this, and heard nothing. If they would have been denied, I would have jumped in.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by last2board
The economic reality of selling drinks for $5 or giving them away at a large hub is probably causing local management make up their own rules perhaps with the blessings of UA management.
What do you mean $5?? They have been charging $6 -- at least for the gin & tonic I ordered in November 2006.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
One of my *G friends didn't get ANY drink chits on a flight across the pond. He said that he didn't even bother with it after the 1 hour+ long check-in wait (longer for Y check-in).
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tennen
One of my *G friends didn't get ANY drink chits on a flight across the pond. He said that he didn't even bother with it after the 1 hour+ long check-in wait (longer for Y check-in).
Was this today, after the letter from WHQ?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Sorry. I thought I included the day in my post. No, this was yesterday (Friday) afternoon/evening. I don't know which RCC it was at, though.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCBob
What do you mean $5?? They have been charging $6 -- at least for the gin & tonic I ordered in November 2006.
For those prices, I might as well go out and sit with the "savages". At least, I can get a pint of beer, instead of those small 12 oz glasses that they use in the RCC.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
My experience last night at the RCC at C7

After reading this thread, I was not going to be denied my drink chits before my flight in BUSINESS to Paris and I am a 1K. So I walk into the RCC at C7, the club next to gate where my flight was to depart. I show my boarding pass and say I am both an RCC member and flying in business internationally. the young woman there hands back my boarding pass, gesturing me to go in. I ask for my drink coupons, and she gives me one. I ask for my second one and she gives it to me.

What is it here--do they get a bonus or kickback for the drink coupons they don't hand out?

My husband arrived before me and was given one drink coupon without asking.

So I take two of our three coupons to the bar and order beers. I have two one dollar bills with the coupons. I noticed that the bartenders had taken the bowl of bag of chips off the bar counter and put them under the bar so only they could get them. When she got our tips, she offered us each a bag of chips.

People are getting pretty nit picky here. Why couldnt others who didnt order a drink get chips?

Oh well, I was assertive and got my two coupons. And the battle goes on.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silver springer
After reading this thread, I was not going to be denied my drink chits before my flight in BUSINESS to Paris and I am a 1K. So I walk into the RCC at C7, the club next to gate where my flight was to depart. I show my boarding pass and say I am both an RCC member and flying in business internationally. the young woman there hands back my boarding pass, gesturing me to go in. I ask for my drink coupons, and she gives me one. I ask for my second one and she gives it to me.

What is it here--do they get a bonus or kickback for the drink coupons they don't hand out?

So I take two of our three coupons to the bar and order beers. I have two one dollar bills with the coupons. I noticed that the bartenders had taken the bowl of bag of chips off the bar counter and put them under the bar so only they could get them. When she got our tips, she offered us each a bag of chips.

People are getting pretty nit picky here. Why couldnt others who didnt order a drink get chips?

Way to go...but I wonder, if you were sitting in Y class...
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by silver springer

I don't drink anything but diet pepsi, screw that bartender who takes the snacks off the bar. Next time I am in that crap hole I am going to try to see if they deny me some snacks. I would tell him that the money I pay for a membership pays for those pathetic offerings as well as his salary.
Re thinking of re joining.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
So here I am in the D8 RCC at Dulles, on my way to CDG.
The matron says would you like a drink ticket?
I say yes, I would like two.
She says you're only entitled to one.
I say please call a supervisor.
She says OK you can have two but you're only entitled to one.
I say I want to talk to a supervisor.
Not surprisingly, she isn't able to reach one.
She says she has been told by her management to only give out one drink ticket.
It was too busy for me to discuss it further with her. But I did get her name. Who should I complain to?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I was just there also and was offered one chit.

PM me if you'd like to discuss over a cocktail
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by redburgundy
So here I am in the D8 RCC at Dulles, on my way to CDG.
The matron says would you like a drink ticket?
I say yes, I would like two.
She says you're only entitled to one.
I say please call a supervisor.
She says OK you can have two but you're only entitled to one.
I say I want to talk to a supervisor.
Not surprisingly, she isn't able to reach one.
She says she has been told by her management to only give out one drink ticket.
It was too busy for me to discuss it further with her. But I did get her name. Who should I complain to?
OK then, now we've got confirmation. The letter from the supervisor was only blowing smoke and life continues as always. How do we escalate this? I do have to say that at ORD I've always been handed two chits after a quick "will you be having something from the bar" question. No problems for me at ORD.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I guess management at UA does not care

This is just one reason why I switiched my business from UAL to CO. The CO PC has all drinks free. None of this BS of fighting with a nasty gatekeeper. Has anybody checked EBAY to see if the ones they are hoarding have shown up there.

There have been a number of threads on this subject over the last year or so and also about the general surliness and bad attitude of the RCC matrons at IAD. It matches the general surliness of their Guest Relations dept also. I guess no one in mgmt at UA reads these boards. They should.

Cheers
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Sounds like despite a number of complaints, despite the adminitions from WHQ, life goes on as usual in IAD's RCCs.

I think it's time for us to stop taking this sitting down ... time for a massive campaign ...
Who has contact details for:
- Executive in charge of IAD
- Executive in charge of RCCs globally
- anyone else that should be included?

Perhaps if, through FT, we get a groundswell of thousands of UA's most-valuable customers speaking in unison, change might happen. No, the surly matrons won't be fired; no, the management in charge of the IAD RCCs won't lose its jobs ... but, dammit, we WILL have our two drink minimums.

Vive la revolution!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.