Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Some IAD RCC Agents Not Following Guest Access Rules [Now Resolved]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

There have been multiple posts on RCC access. This is a "new policy" and may rate its own thread. Mods - feel free to move if there's a better place for this.

Yesterday, Mrs. bucketlist (PremExec) and her sister (GM) on a UA MSY-iad-CDG trip tried to visit the RCC in IAD, think it was the one near C17.

The Dulles Dragon Lady said there was a "new policy". A Prem Exec could get in, but not a guest.

I called the 1K line (I'd made the reservation, it was under my itineraries, and was going to be making a similar trip soon) to ask for a clarification of lounge access policy. Was transferred to the Prem Exec Mileage Plus line. Was told that she could have a guest, but the help line had no way to call the Dragon Lady at IAD...

Then checked the "official" www sites. As of yesterday, a search for "lounge access" generates:

UA.COM
"As a Mileage Plus Premier Executive or 1K member, your elite status is recognized across the alliance as Star Alliance Gold status which gives you and a guest access to more than 800 Star Alliance lounges worldwide. Show your same-day international ticket*, no matter what class of service you travel in, for access to the Star Alliance lounge.* Just look for the Star Alliance Gold logo"

Star Alliance WWW site:
"Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

* Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card
* Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
* Customer is entitled to one guest
* Continental, United, and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Presidents Club, Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.

If this is a new policy, UA should announce it, or confirm that it's no longer a Star Alliance carrier. It's troubling when Dragon Ladies are, apparently, making up rules, and turning folks away who have a right to lounge access. It's troubling when there seems to be no way to correct the situation (I told my wife to buy a day pass & we'd argue about it later).

Sent an email to 1Kvoice - no automated response, but that's typical, will see if there's a substantive reply.

Prospectively, it's probably best to bring a copy of UA's & Star Alliance pages and be more confrontational, but Mrs. bucketlist didn't think RCC access was worth the effort (she's probably right there, it's certainly not worth $50 at IAD) Suggested she try the LH Senator lounge (far nicer and the Dragon Ladies at LH consistently and strictly follow the rules. They even have printed materials, for RCC members who are not *Gold, who try for access to the LH Senator lounge in MUC. At least w/ LH the gatekeepers follow the rules and will document for you what they are)

PRACTICE POINTER:
Be prepared for possible difficulties entering some RCC lounges at IAD, might help if you bring printouts of UA's www site on access.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 6, 2010 at 8:03 am Reason: edited title to match recent developments
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Sounds like BS from the agent to me if it is true.

However as we are hearing this as 2nd or 3rd hand hearsay, who really knows what was said.

This is why hearsay is not allowed in courts.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Sounds to me like another rogue employee making up rules. The rule has always been one guest if you are *G on same-day international ticket. I for one have not heard of any change in this.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:49 pm

Just had it happen to us in Chicago when my boss and I tried to bring in one of our coworkers, though she claimed it has always been their policy...guess I need to print out their own rules for them again so I can help out the clueless employees...of course she gave us wireless passes which I don't beliebve we are suppose to get
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I've always wondered in situations like this ... what if, after you made your case and know you are in the right, you just walked into the lounge? The few lounges, including RCCs, that i've been into don't really have anything blocking you from doing that, and they are denying you access to a published privilege, so even if they called the manager, you could explain your case to them?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Hard to believe this would happen at IAD. I would just ask them to prove the policy by showing me the RCC Admit rules or get a manager....
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps

However as we are hearing this as 2nd or 3rd hand hearsay, who really knows what was said.

This is why hearsay is not allowed in courts.
Just received two $200 domestic e travel certificates. (Is a UA letter admissible? It's a party admission)

Would have preferred for the Dragon Ladies to follow the rules and not make mrs. bucketlist and her sister feel like gate crashers. UA called the RCC and is trying to educate the Dragons.

Practice pointer: Write the 1K voice when the Dragon Ladies don't follow the rules. Skip surfing for drink chits, go for travel certificates! If enough of us complain, it will help.

FROM UA 1KVOICE

I am sorry your wife and sister-in-law were given incorrect information at the Dulles Red Carpet lounge.

I have spoken to the agents there and there should have been no need for them to purchase a one day pass. As a Premier Executive member, Mrs. bucketlist is allowed one guest in the Red Carpet Club.

While I cannot alter the circumstances of what occurred, please accept the attached travel certificates as a gesture of our concern.

Please use the travel certificate provided and travel with us again under more pleasant circumstances. It will be our pleasure to serve you.

xxxxx x xxxxxx
Customer Relations
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
If you know that what the desk employee is saying is wrong (in this case guest access), then do what you can to get the right answer! Get a manager, have them call out, or in IAD's case, call down to the other RCC and have them verify. Either way, if you know you are in the right, don't just "give up" at some point, buy the day pass, and then go through the hassle of emails, complaints, etc.

"Rogue employee" or not, there's no way there was just one person at IAD's RCCs that day.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by ozstamps

^^

...just get the manager next time...
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Just to clarify.... was the sister also flying on UA (or other *A carrier) departing from IAD?

If she was on the same flight (or *A carrier), the dragon screwed up.

If she was not on a *A flight she was correct to deny admission.

BTW, you should have just went over to the LH lounge.

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Apr 6, 2010 at 7:59 am
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Drek82
what if, after you made your case and know you are in the right, you just walked into the lounge?
Knowing the way some employees' "minds" work, they'll call you a security risk and try to have you physically removed from the airport.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Just to clarify.... was the sister also flying on UA (or other *A carrier) departing from IAD?
From the OP:
Originally Posted by bucketlist
Yesterday, Mrs. bucketlist (PremExec) and her sister (GM) on a UA MSY-iad-CDG trip
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Knowing the way some employees' "minds" work, they'll call you a security risk and try to have you physically removed from the airport.

From the OP:
Well...it could have been one of those consolidator fares where it is booked on UA stock but has an AirFrance segment in it or something to the tune of that effect.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:20 am
Original Poster

To clarify:

They were both on paid tickets, bought on .bomb.

They did go to LH lounge (a trek to get there w/ the new high speed train or subway).

As mahasamatman notes, it can be risky to stand up for your rights in airports.

As for consolidator fares, used something perhaps close to consolidator fares - a vacation package to BKK two years ago and a "mistake?" fare, BMI codeshare on UA metal. Used the lounges both trips. Also had access on award tickets. What counts is a valid ticket on a continuing star alliance flight.

For balance, the IAD Dragon Ladies have at times been understanding & nice - 8 of us spent extra hrs at IAD, due to LHR-IAD mechanical delays. I was 1K, mrs. bucketlist Prem Exec.. We didn't try to bring everybody in, but the Dragon Lady invited 'all of us in. It was late, wasn't crowded, but it was a nice gesture.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
* Continental, United, and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Presidents Club, Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
This seems to indicate that you would need to be on a *A carrier and that if you were on a UA flight you are not allowed in the RCC unless you are a member.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JeffS
This seems to indicate that you would need to be on a *A carrier and that if you were on a UA flight you are not allowed in the RCC unless you are a member.
Not sure what you are saying, but if the same day international flight was UA metal or any other *A carrier (this includes UA), then they qualified as 1P/*G + 1 guest for RCC access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.