Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
That's going to be tough to swing - UA doesn't want airplanes from the redeyes to sit all day at the airports in Europe. The only airport where there are "late" departures are from LHR. I will agree with the sentiment, but there's a reason that partner flights from the same airport (e.g. LH from FRA-EWR, LX from ZRH-EWR) tend to leave later...
It's true, but at least from IAD a lot of Europe flights leave relatively early in evening (around 6pm), meaning they arrive around 7-8am. That's good for business travelers in one sense, but means that their turn typically has them returning late morning.

So, if UA has two flights to a city, they can do one early and one late (e.g., dep. UA 10p, arrive noon; return 3-4pm), but presumably if the route supports only one flight, the early departure fills more seats.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Air Houston
MBS-PBI

I would rather lobby for MBS-EWR or IAD, even if just 2-3x week. That way you don't have to overnight on Caribbean trips.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AA Million Mile Gold
NRT-BKK

Originally Posted by Darlox
I'd settle for ANYTHING-BKK... The *A connection options right now all hugely suck -- either in timing, hard product, or both.
Yeah timing is terrible coming back, least it was for me on ANA -TYO to catch the five something flight from NRT to LAX on UA
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AA Million Mile Gold
Also Istanbul was nice while it lasted.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Would prefer a much later EWR-FCO departure, especially during the leisure summer months. A 9 pm departure would save a whole day of jet lag.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by drewguy
It's true, but at least from IAD a lot of Europe flights leave relatively early in evening (around 6pm), meaning they arrive around 7-8am. That's good for business travelers in one sense, but means that their turn typically has them returning late morning.

So, if UA has two flights to a city, they can do one early and one late (e.g., dep. UA 10p, arrive noon; return 3-4pm), but presumably if the route supports only one flight, the early departure fills more seats.
back in the CO days, that was kinda the goal of what EWR was moving towards. Two banks for europe. Was nice with the 9-10pm bank.

I wish there were more night flights from SFO/LAX to APAC. Would allow a full day on the west coast before the flight.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP
I wish there were more night flights from SFO/LAX to APAC. Would allow a full day on the west coast before the flight.
Isn't the problem there that the flight would typically arrive late night in Asia (not so bad) but then either the airplane sits until morning, which isn't usually desirable, or flies back even later at night, arriving WC late evening/early morning, with no connections?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Isn't the problem there that the flight would typically arrive late night in Asia (not so bad) but then either the airplane sits until morning, which isn't usually desirable, or flies back even later at night, arriving WC late evening/early morning, with no connections?
CX runs westbound TPAC redoes from e.g. LAX. As far as RONs, UA does that anyway with it's China flights. It would be really nice if the second SFO-PVG flight was an evening/night flight instead of being literally 2 hours apart from the existing frequency.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
CX runs westbound TPAC redoes from e.g. LAX. As far as RONs, UA does that anyway with it's China flights. It would be really nice if the second SFO-PVG flight was an evening/night flight instead of being literally 2 hours apart from the existing frequency.
Some of this has to be what slots are available in the congested Chinese airports. Especially with the limits on flights from US carriers.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
But CX is returning the plane to its hub, so it's a different calculus. As for China, I thought most (i.e., non 747) turned the same day. Pretty sure at least Beijing the IAD and ORD flights sit for 3 hours and turn, and same for NRT. HKG they send at least one to SIN, right?

And as next post points out, China does restrict slots - a bit of an issue for US carriers.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
But CX is returning the plane to its hub, so it's a different calculus. As for China, I thought most (i.e., non 747) turned the same day. Pretty sure at least Beijing the IAD and ORD flights sit for 3 hours and turn, and same for NRT. HKG they send at least one to SIN, right?

And as next post points out, China does restrict slots - a bit of an issue for US carriers.
EWR/ORD/IAD-PEK and EWR/ORD/LAX-PVG are immediate turns, as is the later SFO-PVG. Only the 747s and secondary markets (SFO-PEK/PVG/CTU/XIY) involve an RON, as do all the HKG flights (ORD-HKG continues to SIN but then sits in SIN for 5 hours before returning the next morning).

I'm guessing SFO-CTU/XIY stay overnight because this allows for an afternoon departure ex-SFO and morning arrival into SFO on the return to maximize connections both ways on the US end. Or maybe since these flights are less than daily it might be a crew scheduling thing?

Also a problem with west coast redeyes is that SFO-PEK/PVG aren't really long enough — SFO-PVG is blocked for 13 hours so a midnight departure from SFO will have you arriving in PVG at 4am, whereas SFO-HKG can depart at midnight and land at 6. A redeye SFO-CTU/XIY could work but presumably an early afternoon departure ex-SFO is better for connections.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:51 pm

Smile Wish List for United Airlines !!

I wish United had a flight from FLL to LAX! Al,so a flight from FLL to JFK!!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
DTW-LAX would be nice. Will never happen due to DL and spirit.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
USA - BKK and JNB would be nice and on a number of peoples wish list inc mine also PHL-LON non stop would be convenient for me.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:39 am

IAD - PSP non-stop.

Anybody from DC/Balt area to PSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.