Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Has anybody tried to upgrade recently? Boss claims he just upgraded a LH flight using a GPU online from his MP account. Looks like it might be active now.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Has anybody tried to upgrade recently? Boss claims he just upgraded a LH flight using a GPU online from his MP account. Looks like it might be active now.
Just spoke to Ser. Director at UA MP and the program is NOT live at this point. Glitches still exist between LH and UA website. Problem apparently is that they are trying to use the *A miles upgrade mechanism but are having trouble getting it to recognize GPU balances in the account. I've called UA a couple of times/week for the past month since I have several readers looking to take advantage of the new process.

Perhaps your boss upgraded a UA flight? May be possible if he/she was not paying attention to operating carrier.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Just spoke to Ser. Director at UA MP and the program is NOT live at this point. Glitches still exist between LH and UA website. Problem apparently is that they are trying to use the *A miles upgrade mechanism but are having trouble getting it to recognize GPU balances in the account. I've called UA a couple of times/week for the past month since I have several readers looking to take advantage of the new process.

Perhaps your boss upgraded a UA flight? May be possible if he/she was not paying attention to operating carrier.
Not a chance. It's LAX-FRA...no UA metal. It's possible he booked F I suppose.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Problem apparently is that they are trying to use the *A miles upgrade mechanism but are having trouble getting it to recognize GPU balances in the account.
The *A mechanism doesn't let you upgrade if you're UA-designated. Hope this won't be the same -- if so it's a killer for me.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Not a chance. It's LAX-FRA...no UA metal. It's possible he booked F I suppose.
I spent 15 minutes talking to UA today about and they clearly confirmed it was not operational yet.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just received a paper GPU to use on a LH flight for tomorrow. Stone age technology for sure, but I do like the ability to use UA GPU's on LH and having a way to do it as opposed to no way is OK with me. Hope it clears.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Has UA stopped allowing GPU's for LH metal flights issued as UA codeshares? I just had 2 MP agents tell me that they could not send paper certs because my flights are UA 016 codeshare-issued tix for LH metal?

That does not sound correct and contradicts the Wiki here, but perhaps they have a new policy? Has anyone heard of something like this? Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by northpole999
Has UA stopped allowing GPU's for LH metal flights issued as UA codeshares? I just had 2 MP agents tell me that they could not send paper certs because my flights are UA 016 codeshare-issued tix for LH metal?

That does not sound correct and contradicts the Wiki here, but perhaps they have a new policy? Has anyone heard of something like this? Thanks.
As of yesterday afternoon, NO. I actually called UA MP yesterday to help a reader redeem their GPU for LH metal flights. They had booked UA codeshare/flight number flights but operated by LH and on GPU-upgradeable fares. The GPUs were debited from his account.

Did you book a valid fare class for GPU use? Only a few Economy classes are eligible for GPU use.

Edit: your post tempted me to call UA 1k desk who read specifically from her notes that LH numbered and UA Marketed flights operated by LH are GPU eligible. If you run into the problem again, ask them to look up the policy, it's spelled out pretty clearly.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Sep 24, 2014 at 9:25 am
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
As of yesterday afternoon, NO. I actually called UA MP yesterday to help a reader redeem their GPU for LH metal flights. They had booked UA codeshare/flight number flights but operated by LH and on GPU-upgradeable fares. The GPUs were debited from his account.

Did you book a valid fare class for GPU use? Only a few Economy classes are eligible for GPU use.

Edit: your post tempted me to call UA 1k desk who read specifically from her notes that LH numbered and UA Marketed flights operated by LH are GPU eligible. If you run into the problem again, ask them to look up the policy, it's spelled out pretty clearly.
Yes, the class is ok (V). Thanks for the update - I'll ring again and get the certs.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by northpole999

I just got off the phone ordering a paper GPU for LH flight on 016 ticket (LH flight number though -- not UA codeshare number). No problems and the certs are in the mail.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Note that if they ever go electronic, the flights upgradable will have to be LH numbered, since codeshares usually never have I or O inventory@:-)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that if they ever go electronic, the flights upgradable will have to be LH numbered, since codeshares usually never have I or O inventory@:-)
Thus making more likely that at least the first $10K of transatlantic flights will be on UA.

Mission accomplished, sez Chicago

Greg
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Question: is it mandatory to have your MileagePlus number tied to the reservation in order to attempt to use a GPU on LH? If so, is it possible to change to another *A program after the GPU clears?

I did a bit of digging but couldn't find a clear answer.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.3; HTC One Build/KTU84L) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.117 Mobile Safari/537.36)

No Frequent flier number is required on the reservation.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:09 am

If I can manage to fly $10k in PQD next year on short and mid-continent flights next year, accruing all my PQMs on LH over the Atlantic and avoiding UA completely for overseas travel, wouldn't these upgrades make it less painful? Am I missing something here? Seems less of an incentive to fly UA overseas on cheap tickets if I can get a semi-cheap ticket that's upgradeable on LH and still get full RDM's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.