Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
..Agent at FRA today told me 40% of flights have been migrated to the new system, and for those flights paper SWUs will not be accepted. Period.
Terrible!

No LH agent I have ever met has ever heard of printed SWUs/GPUs. After some pressuring them, they read the T&C and then call a sup.
There is no chance in hell that they would know if their flight is 'electronic' or not.

Sounds they now have some UA/CO-style GAs who also make up ad-hoc legislation .
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I assume they were just to stupid to process the paper cert under the new system that is why they gave you all the BS about it - there is no new system when it comes to the paper GPU system - but incapable LH agents making up stories as they go to make you go away.....
Or too lazy ... or hate men ... or don't know that UA pays for these things ...
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by weero

Or too lazy ... or hate men ... or don't know that UA pays for these things ...
anyone knows what LH gets if we use a GPU?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by foppishbum
.. LH is adding Premium Economy to long-haul flights and from what I know, is said to complete by mid-summer 2015. If I apply my GPU then, is it going to be Economy -> Premium Economy? Or is it still going to be Economy -> Business? I suspect GPU only allows one-up, eh?..
If you print it early enough, it will still be coach=>biz as LH's own certs.
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I guess I will avoid flying LH for a while.
Despite all garbage ... your chances of clearing are still infinitely higher than on UA itself. And if you fail, you still get booze, IFE, and meat.

Easy decision in my book ...
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In the current DCS (aka 'PICTURES' with backend Unisys) the agent just processes the upgrade as a M&M upgrade and states s/he collected the paper cert. The new DCS (backend Amadeus Altea) tries to interface with the RM system (also Altea since 2012) to update the ticket. Since the system doesn't offer to accept paper vouchers, it fails. I will ask the question to the CITP folks when we interview them later this month: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...lufthansa.html

Of course if you can upgrade the flight before hand the discussion wouldn't come up in the first place...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
In the current DCS (aka 'PICTURES' with backend Unisys) the agent just processes the upgrade as a M&M upgrade and states s/he collected the paper cert. The new DCS (backend Amadeus Altea) tries to interface with the RM system (also Altea since 2012) to update the ticket. Since the system doesn't offer to accept paper vouchers, it fails. I will ask the question to the CITP folks when we interview them later this month..
Interesting history ... in ZRH the system also doesn't work with evouchers. I could not used my expiring last vouchers on LH operated flights ex ZRH because they were "LH M&M evouchers" ....
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Too bad.

Agent at FRA today told me 40% of flights have been migrated to the new system, and for those flights paper SWUs will not be accepted. Period.

This appears to mean we can't upgrade 40% of Lufthansa flights for now...

I was on FRA-BEY today...10 rows of business nearly empty, and I was packed in coach with the screaming babies...of which there were at least 20. Ugh.

Be warned, regardless if UA gives you a paper cert or not, it's not going to be useable on "some" LH flights.

They told me it was 40% of flights, but there was a guy with a badge saying "IT Support" assisting the gate agents, so I'm hopeful I just got super unlucky on this flight.
I feel much better about my LH FRA to IAH flight now
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum/MM, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hilton HHonors Gold
Big success yesterday confirming upgrade (with paper certificate) at check-in in FLR for my MUC-EWR flight. I had a tight connection from FLR-MUC to my MUC-EWR flight, and when the agent went to look she saw that there were 6 upgrades available (however she had issue because in the system they could only be processed as M&M e-upgrades). The agent next to her said I would have to process at the gate in MUC, but I pressed the issue with my tight connection, wanted to see if they could call MUC to get me on the grading list. She called her supervisor in FLR, explained the situation, and she was allowed to clear it for me on the spot, stapled my certificate to the BP and no issue in MUC (in fact, I just scanned my BP in MUC, they never even collected the certificate when I boarded the plane...). Come to find out there were still open seats in C, but so nice to not have to stress about clearing right before boarding.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by JDS@LAX
[...] (in fact, I just scanned my BP in MUC, they never even collected the certificate when I boarded the plane...).
Now the friendly agent in FLR will get an earful. Why didn't you surrender the cert??
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum/MM, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hilton HHonors Gold
Now the friendly agent in FLR will get an earful. Why didn't you surrender the cert??
It wasn't her fault, it was stapled to the BP... it was just not collected in MUC as I boarded since they have the automated boarding.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:15 pm

If she cleared the pax into confirmed space, she should have collected it!

Of course she should not have done that but have armed pax with "being buzzed" at the gate.

But I suppose of the improved system supports none of these features.

The old one did just fine. I had agents clearing me 22 hours out (upon irrops), stapling the SWU to the F or Biz departure management card they issued me. At the gate I then traded the DM for a proper BP.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:18 am

LH Agents who staple the SWU to the BP in MUC or FRA usually deface the bardcode on the BP so the pax need to do a manual boarding where the paper GPU is duly collected.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:00 am

LH Agents who staple the SWU to the BP in MUC or FRA usually deface the bardcode on the BP so the pax need to do a manual boarding where the paper GPU is duly collected.
The agents are often not familiar with the GPU system. Especially in MUC, on numerous occasions, I had agents giving me back the printed GPU which they removed from the DM card.

One agent outright refused to take the GPU, stating that LH "can absolutely not do anything with it, you need to send it to United ...". I found a younger colleague and she took it without much resistance.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
With today's UA Insider post (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lectronic.html), the paper GPU is history.

On the plus side, you can waitlist GPUs. On the down side, no GPU application inside 10 hours.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:06 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by MrOCTeckels
With today's UA Insider post (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lectronic.html), the paper GPU is history.

On the plus side, you can waitlist GPUs. On the down side, no GPU application inside 10 hours.
And with the process of GPU's being used electronically on LH flights now live, I'll close this thread. Please continue the discussion in the in the above referenced thread.

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.