Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that if they ever go electronic, the flights upgradable will have to be LH numbered, since codeshares usually never have I or O inventory@:-)
I'm ignorant of the underlying basis for this concern, so I have a question.

LH codeshares I've bought from UA had a separate LH PNR with LH flight number I could manage at LH.com as if it were a native LH filght. Are you saying I wouldn't be able to apply this theoretical UA GPU eCert to such a reservation because even an LH PNR would not be able to access I or O inventory if it is a codeshare? Thank you for any further illumination.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Just as an update. I called the MP number to use a GPU on an LH flight. She said it's electronic now and that the 1K agent could upgrade me. Long story short, after being passed back and forth, they confirmed it still isn't operational. They fedex'd me paper certificates to use (UA Codeshare too)

One thing though, they put the UA confirmation number on the cert, not my LH one. Will this be a problem??
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I had the LH confirmation number on mine. Actually the agent asked me for it because they cannot access a LH reservation. But I never used it on a UA purchased ticket.

To be safe if you get an ornery LH agent at the airport, bring some evidence of both the UA and LH pnr in the reservation.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
No problem at all!

And the "electronic speak" is not worth much - as 95% of the agents have no clue about these paper GPU anyway and think your are talking about RPU!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by megalab
I'm ignorant of the underlying basis for this concern, so I have a question.

LH codeshares I've bought from UA had a separate LH PNR with LH flight number I could manage at LH.com as if it were a native LH filght. Are you saying I wouldn't be able to apply this theoretical UA GPU eCert to such a reservation because even an LH PNR would not be able to access I or O inventory if it is a codeshare? Thank you for any further illumination.
If you buy (lets fictionally say) UA 8891 which in reality is LH488, there will be no O or I inventory loaded on that commercial duplicate.

So if you after pqds on ua.com, you have buy some UA operated segment to get it to ticket on UA 016 stock, but if yu need to upgrade, make sure the LH segment is actually coded with a LH flight number.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
Upgrading on LH

Booked FRA-LAX (C class) on UA and it's an LH 74H. How do I use miles to upgrade? Do I need to join LH's loyalty program and transfer miles???

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 7, 2014 at 4:41 am Reason: moved into thread with wiki that has information
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
*A upgrade is not possible if you booked an LH flight as UA codeshare. You could use a GPU.

Nor can you transfer miles between MP and M&M.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 6, 2014 at 10:38 pm Reason: whoops it's a C fare, not Y
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
So a GPU via a call with UA is my only option here? Anyway to check whether there's upgradable space in F? I didn't see any "ON" on the fare class breakdown.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well the LH folks know better, but my understanding is that LH upgrade inventory is not a visible fare class. In any event, with a GPU you can only standby at the airport, you can't confirm the upgrade in advance.

btw, you would never see ON on an LH operated UA codeshare. That's upgrade class for UA operated flights.

Similar question was asked in the LH forum. LH-UA Codeshare How to Upgrade with Star Alliance

Suggest also you check out this thread on using a GPU: Update LH GPU Certificate Request Process
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by drewnyc
So a GPU via a call with UA is my only option here? Anyway to check whether there's upgradable space in F? I didn't see any "ON" on the fare class breakdown.

Thanks!
The linked posts have more information, but GPU standby (at the airport on day of departure) is the only way. Also, they can only be sent to a US address (of the MP account holder IME).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmanirish
The linked posts have more information, but GPU standby (at the airport on day of departure) is the only way. Also, they can only be sent to a US address (of the MP account holder IME).
As far as I know UA also sends the paper GPU's outside of the US. It has been a while ago that I last requested some, but there were no problems having them sent to the Netherlands. Did something change ?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by xandern
As far as I know UA also sends the paper GPU's outside of the US. It has been a while ago that I last requested some, but there were no problems having them sent to the Netherlands. Did something change ?
Interesting. My experience is very recent (2 weeks ago) when I was traveling LAX-FRA-MAD very last minute. There wasn't time to get them sent to me in LA so I tried having one sent to my hotel in MAD so I could at least use one on the return. 1K agent said US only. I didn't press the issue (or HUCA) because my connection in FRA on the return was very short and figured there was little chance of getting the upgrade (given the catering rules).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
UA MP will only send the cert to your mailing address in the account. So if you are resident in NL, they will send it to NL, if you are in the US, to US. You can't say 'I'm here in Germany, can you mail it to my 'friends' place?' etc.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jmanirish
While they can only be sent to the address of the MP account holder, it is indeed possible to change your address easily, assuming the alternate address is domestic US (there's another recent thread discussing the travails of attempting to change your MP account address to an international address).

Two weeks ago I needed to get a paper GPU to my work colleague to use last minute on an LH codeshare, LAX-FRA. FedExing to my house first was not workable. The very helpful 1K agent recommended changing my home address in my MP account to my friend's address. FedEx would then use that address to send the paper cert (which they did). Once I confirmed he had received it at his home, I changed my address back. Easy-peasy...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
UA MP will only send the cert to your mailing address in the account. So if you are resident in NL, they will send it to NL, if you are in the US, to US. You can't say 'I'm here in Germany, can you mail it to my 'friends' place?' etc.
Ah that makes sense. Very helpful thanks.

To round out my experience in case anybody else comes looking. No problem upgrading my LAX-FRA on a UA codeshare with my UA (not LH) booking reference on the GPU. Unfortunately I had to choose between 1A with a broken IFE or 3D...I took 1A as I had plenty of work and tablet to keep me busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.