Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Hendo5698
I just booked flights on united.com for flights with lufthansa booked in d class. I requested gpu's today for those flights. Two questions I didn't see answered above.

1. Is there any issue with booking on united vs lufthansa.com?

2. When the gpu was requested she stated they must use the united code share number. Is there any issue with not having lufthansa flight numbers but having the united code share number?

Thanks in advance, flights are in less than 2 weeks so I would need to reissue or cancel flights ASAP.
This is covered in the wiki:
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA G
Ok, dumb question: I can get added to the grading list at checkin, but when is the actual paper certificate collected? If an agents asked for it as checkin, should I give it to them?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by unavaca
Ok, dumb question: I can get added to the grading list at checkin, but when is the actual paper certificate collected? If an agents asked for it as checkin, should I give it to them?
The last time I used one it was stapled to my boarding pass upon checkin and collected at the gate right before boarding.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:52 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The cert iis collected when the grading is performed, so if they issue you a fresh BP they will collect it or staple it to the BP.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by unavaca
They collect it when it clears, so if it clears when you request it they will take the cert then. If they waitlist you they will staple it to your boarding pass and they take the whole thing and give you a new boarding pass if/when you clear.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Does the time of check-in/request help on these? I live near my airport so if i were to stop by at 24 hours before departure, would that help my cause, in the event of a tie breaker?
Depends on airport. I happened to be in ORD the night before my LH flight to FRA and tried to apply my GPU cert. the LH agent said to wait until next day when checking in. It cleared fine as C was pretty empty on that flight.

A couple of times in FRA I had an overnight connection. The night before my flight I went to the LH service desk to check in early apply my cert; one time they put me on the list and the upgrade cleared before I got to the gate the next morning, and once I was cleared that night.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

LHflyer reports the following:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...l#post23441010

It seems they are moving to electronic and its no longer standby but confirmed ^
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by oliver2002

It seems they are moving to electronic and its no longer standby but confirmed ^
Confirmed if they deign to open up space. If not you get a "no", no waitlist. And no requests within ten hours of departure. Have fun with the upgrade lottery.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Confirmed if they deign to open up space. If not you get a "no", no waitlist. And no requests within ten hours of departure. Have fun with the upgrade lottery.
Precisely.

If the upgrades are processed as LH does with their own members - good luck!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:38 am

Well, from my experience with the LH M&M evoucher use, revenue management opens up upgrade inventory at about T-48 or 72h to wean miles and evouchers out of their members at checkin*. M&M members could not redeem awards at that point because of adv purchase restrictions on awards. So I'm pretty optimistic about this.

* look at the system they use at checkin:
https://www.lhsystems.com/solutions-...form/desk.html
(open the 'GroundSolutions/Desk' pdf on the right, and read the 'proactive grading' bit on page 2)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Well, from my experience with the LH M&M evoucher use, revenue management opens up upgrade inventory at about T-48 or 72h to wean miles and evouchers out of their members at checkin*. M&M members could not redeem awards at that point because of adv purchase restrictions on awards. So I'm pretty optimistic about this.

* look at the system they use at checkin:
https://www.lhsystems.com/solutions-...form/desk.html
(open the 'GroundSolutions/Desk' pdf on the right, and read the 'proactive grading' bit on page 2)
Interesting. Thanks.

Direct link: https://www.lhsystems.com/fileadmin/...tions_desk.pdf
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle

Anyone have an idea on how this affects those of us currently holding paper certs for an upcoming flight?

I'm scheduled to fly ORD-FRA-MAA on 9/12 via LH and have certs in hand for both legs of that flight.

If the comment about not being able to upgrade 10 hours in is correct, it would appear as if I have to "float" two more upgrades to pre-clear and subsequently send back the paper certs.

Not to mention this LH flight isn't showing up on my United account as it's issued on LH ticket stock.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Unhappy Very negative change

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Fully agree - looks like a very very very negative move as upgrade space might never appear..
Using a GPU on a route where the F cabin was never full, you had the guarantee to be upgraded to F as long as one F seat was not sold whenever you checked in and presented your voucher at the desk...
Now, if few F seats are not sold up to T-10 hours, this does not mean at all that you will be upgraded, as the upgrade space might never open.

Earlier this year, I wanted to spare a GPU and tried to upgrade with some leftover M&M miles (also tried to upgrade with UA miles at the same time) ..
Upgrade availability never appeared (on both M&M and UA) while F availability on EF was fluctuating between F2 and F4... I finally used a GPU and 3 out of 8 seats were indeed not occupied..

I'll miss for sure the paper GPU...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Eddy421
Using a GPU on a route where the F cabin was never full, you had the guarantee to be upgraded to F as long as one F seat was not sold whenever you checked in and presented your voucher at the desk.
IME, the primary determinant for an U/G to LH F wasn't whether there were available seats, but available meals. On a few occasions, I was flat out told by the agent that he had to make sure they had loaded enough meals. I once told an agent that I would to OK with getting a C meal, but he said absolutely not.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by 1kBill
IME, the primary determinant for an U/G to LH F wasn't whether there were available seats, but available meals. On a few occasions, I was flat out told by the agent that he had to make sure they had loaded enough meals. I once told an agent that I would to OK with getting a C meal, but he said absolutely not.
I've had similar experiences. As I recall, at least previously they catered in sets of 4, and they would not cater only for a passenger using an upgrade.

As a result, if the cabin was filled to 4 of 8, you could not upgrade using a space available, even though there were 4 seats available, but if there was one additional revenue passenger (for whom they would cater), you could upgrade.

I don't know if that principle is still in effect.

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.