Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It also has been reported you can use a "flight specific" cert on other LH flights. Ans suspect getting the info back from LH could be challenging. The cash analog is appropriate.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-process.html
Meh. Cash is the fungible instrument to end all fungible instruments. LH GPU upgrade certs are not. If UA was going to come out with this convoluted system for requesting the upgrades, and (supposedly) kill their frangibility, I think it's pretty reasonable for folks to expect a bit less risk of loss associated with them.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I am now being told that it is too much work for UA to track the paper upgrades. The system is being compared to the old paper tickets (which could always be replaced after a while). Too difficult to make it work, they claim.

This is very much akin to what former Rep. Barney Frank called the "reverse Houdini," which occurs when a politician ties himself up in knots and then says, "Gee I wish I could help you but I can't because I'm tied up in knots" (from a 1985 Washington Post column).

UA designed the system--and now claims it can't make it work.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The paper certificates are like cash. When LH receives one it doesn't call UA to see whether it has been reported lost/stolen. There is no provisin for doing that. This differs from paper tickets which were tied with ticket numbers to a reservation. In this case UA asks for the LH record information but that is written on the certificate, not in the LH reseravation. Also, the certificate does not have to be used for the indicated flight.

Yes, the paper certificate system is a kludge, but it's better than no option to upgrade on LH.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The paper certificates are like cash. When LH receives one it doesn't call UA to see whether it has been reported lost/stolen. There is no provisin for doing that. This differs from paper tickets which were tied with ticket numbers to a reservation. In this case UA asks for the LH record information but that is written on the certificate, not in the LH reseravation. Also, the certificate does not have to be used for the indicated flight.

Yes, the paper certificate system is a kludge, but it's better than no option to upgrade on LH.
Can you tell me where this is written down? (Don't waste your time--I looked and couldn't find it.) It was UA that made the comparison to paper tickets in an email to me. And if the flight number and time and date have to be on the cert, you really can't use it on another flight.

It is pretty simple: UA knows that it sent me the paper cert. I know who sent it and the date. Please don't try to tell me that there is no system for UA to know whether it gets used. Anyone with any accounting system beyond a kindergarten play bank has to know this. If they want to help, they can. But this is the new UA. Every time I fly pmUA crews tell me that they hate the new management. Never heard one say a single positive thing about them.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by euslaner
Can you tell me where this is written down? (Don't waste your time--I looked and couldn't find it.) It was UA that made the comparison to paper tickets in an email to me. And if the flight number and time and date have to be on the cert, you really can't use it on another flight.

It is pretty simple: UA knows that it sent me the paper cert. I know who sent it and the date. Please don't try to tell me that there is no system for UA to know whether it gets used. Anyone with any accounting system beyond a kindergarten play bank has to know this. If they want to help, they can. But this is the new UA. Every time I fly pmUA crews tell me that they hate the new management. Never heard one say a single positive thing about them.
If I recall correctly (and I may be wrong), the old paper UA SWU's weren't replaceable if lost or stolen either.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Can you tell me where this is written down? (Don't waste your time--I looked and couldn't find it.) And if the flight number and time and date have to be on the cert, you really can't use it on another flight.
Except you can use the certs on flights/dates that aren't listed on the cert. At least this was what was told to me by an LH agent at SFO.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by janehoya
... And if the flight number and time and date have to be on the cert, you really can't use it on another flight.
Except you can use the certs on flights/dates that aren't listed on the cert. At least this was what was told to me by an LH agent at SFO.
And folks that have done that have posted in this thread
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sigh. What typical FT nonsense this all is.

"We all know that those paper certificates are good as cash, can be used on any flight, and are irreplaceable if lost. Therefore, everyone should know that. If they don't, sucks for them!!! Bwahahahahahahaha."

If it says on the certificate that it's as good as cash, then fine, I guess. But my strong expectation in receiving such a certificate, since it's marked for a particular flight, would be that it'd be replaceable if not used for that flight. That is my expectation based on being a normal person in the normal people world.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:58 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by greg99
If I recall correctly (and I may be wrong), the old paper UA SWU's weren't replaceable if lost or stolen either.
When UA issued paper SWUs, a MP rep told me lost or stolen SWUs could be hotlisted via the certifcate number in order to track them. Why doesn't UA make the LH GPU process electronic as it is for UA GPUs?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
When UA issued paper SWUs, a MP rep told me lost or stolen SWUs could be hotlisted via the certifcate number in order to track them. Why doesn't UA make the LH GPU process electronic as it is for UA GPUs?
Why doesn't COdbaUA do what PMUA did?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
I don't think it matters. When you get to your LH gate or the lounge they will work their magic.
Not to my personal experience. The LH lounge agent even called somewhere to get the OK, to put the 2 of us on standby for our FRA JNB flight. Then, she cleared my companion, and refused to do mine, because my paper upgrade has his name on it/ and he was right there with me. She sent me to the gate and the gate agent was shaking her head hearing the absurdity I encountered. She then even got us seats together.
Oh, the transfer desk agents did not even know what to do with these paper upgrades from UA.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Hi All-

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a question on LH upgrdes. I apologize in advance if this info is here (likely is), but after reading a dozen pages of this thread, I still don't have a clear answer. So, I thought I'd put the questions in one place.

I'm extremely well versed in the UA upgrade game and do the C->F on TPACs regularly. But, I've got a trip in April that is going to be via Europe vs the "normal" TPAC routes.

I will fly either PEN-SIN-FRA-BOS or PEN-SIN-ZRH-BOS, with FRA being my preference. My issue is that I hate the LH C seat for sleeping - its terrible. My goal is to fly LH via FRA, but only if I can likely upgrade C->F. Yes, I know its a big unknown and only day of, but would like some ideas from the collective wisdom on how to do this. My understanding from reading is as follows, please confirm or correct:

-I want to upgrade SIN-FRA C->F, but I cannot get added to the list until I'm physically in SIN - correct?

-Assuming that, I need to be there >3 hrs before departure due to the catering issue. Therefore, I will need to schedule my PEN-SIN flight to have a >3hr layover (obviously plus time for getting to the LH desk etc) - correct?

-On the return, if I fly BOS-FRA-SIN and want to upgrade both segments, I have to do them at the individual airport, correct? (i.e. I have to wait until I arrive in FRA to try for FRA-SIN)?

-How early can this be done before the flight? I assume I have to wait until the flight opens for check-in? I can see this being a major issue for BOS-FRA because they are contract agents that serve all airlines in term E.

-For FRA-SIN, I'd be arriving at approx 6am from BOS and then I'd have a ~14hr layover before I head to SIN. Would I be able to go to the LH check in at 6am and get on the list for that night?

-Anyone know of any sort of prioritizing criteria of who gets an upgrade first? (status, time onto the list, fare.....)

-Honestly, what's the success rate these days for this convoluted system for C->F upgrades? If this is a long shot, I may just not bother and book LX via ZRH in C as LX C >> LH C, but obviously would prefer to do the ride in F on LH.

-If some/all of the upgrades don't clear, how much of a nightmare is it to get the SWU's redeposited into my account?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
-I want to upgrade SIN-FRA C->F, but I cannot get added to the list until I'm physically in SIN - correct?
Yes.
-Assuming that, I need to be there >3 hrs before departure due to the catering issue. Therefore, I will need to schedule my PEN-SIN flight to have a >3hr layover (obviously plus time for getting to the LH desk etc) - correct?
Debatable, but 2+hours should be OK to report at the LH checkin/gate. I doubt LH has anything open landside that early anyway.

-On the return, if I fly BOS-FRA-SIN and want to upgrade both segments, I have to do them at the individual airport, correct? (i.e. I have to wait until I arrive in FRA to try for FRA-SIN)?
Yes.

-How early can this be done before the flight? I assume I have to wait until the flight opens for check-in? I can see this being a major issue for BOS-FRA because they are contract agents that serve all airlines in term E.

BOS has LH desks that open about 3 hours before departure of any LH flight (LH flies to MUC & FRA from BOS). You could go there the day before and ask an agent handling the late MUC flight to put you on the grading list.

-For FRA-SIN, I'd be arriving at approx 6am from BOS and then I'd have a ~14hr layover before I head to SIN. Would I be able to go to the LH check in at 6am and get on the list for that night?

Yes, no problem.

-Anyone know of any sort of prioritizing criteria of who gets an upgrade first? (status, time onto the list, fare.....)

Time stamp on the grading list. Its a big long list with various requests like employees travelling on standby, revenue pax who still need seating etc. The FM/DST just goes thru the list and makes decisions. In FRA if the flight is open for grading, the agent can process the upgrade on the spot if there are any seats available.

-Honestly, what's the success rate these days for this convoluted system for C->F upgrades? If this is a long shot, I may just not bother and book LX via ZRH in C as LX C >> LH C, but obviously would prefer to do the ride in F on LH.

SIN is a route where LH does sell the F seats in the A380. Check on the
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ds-thread.html if the days you are looking at even have seats open in F. Also note that GPUs can only be applied to J/C/D fares, Z & P are excluded, so you are looking at a hefty fare upcharge to play the GPU upgrade poker.

-If some/all of the upgrades don't clear, how much of a nightmare is it to get the SWU's redeposited into my account?
Just mail them back.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Success upgrading LH C to F with US paper cert

I followed directions on FT (thanks!) and UA website, and secured a paper cert for upgrade (booked on LH 413 EWR-MUC). Called GS and the agent confirmed what I'd read here: the cert has to be presented to the GA.

I arrived at the gate ~2 hours before departure--nobody there. Checked in at the LH lounge (terminal B), and after I showed the EWR-MUC boarding pass I brought out the cert and asked the agent if she could help me with the upgrade. She checked, said there was one seat open, and called to see if an F meal could be added. I told her a C meal was fine, but whoever was on the phone told her the upgrade was fine.

Got my BP for 2G, and am all set--slightly less than two hours before departure.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I just ordered a printed GPU for use on LH.

It came with my name, flight segment (route FRA-BOM), Flight number (756), and the confirmation number (UA's, not LH's).

I have two questions.

1. The date of the flight is not shown on the GPU. My understanding, from this thread and from the terms and conditions on the certificate itself is that this is ok. And from UAs website ( http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx ) I gather that it may even be standard practice for them not to print the flight date.

2. I also assume, from UAInsider's post at the start of the thread that it's fine that the certificate has the UA confirmation #, not the LH one. (I'll of course travel with both versions of the itinerary printed out).

I know that this is being a bit OCD, but given that the process is much more anal than in the past, I know that I need to adapt accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.