Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I hope attempting to use a PGPU on BAH-FRA will go smoothly next week, especially at check-in. It's also a same flight # one stop via DOH. We shall see!

Anyone have experience?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
With United's new efforts to minimize outflow of $$$ to partner airlines, what do you think about the future of this reciprocal upgrade benefit? I would think UA is paying LH a lot more for these upgrades than LH is paying UA for theirs.

Also, isn't UA paying LH for lounge visits on domestic UA *G flyers at IAD?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
UA GPU's can be used on any LH flight. But remember they are good for one segment only.

I'm honestly shocked UA fixed this *and* emailed you. That took time and dedication...something completely lacking with UA MP agents (even at the 1K desk) lately.
+1. (both points, but mainly the bolding! )

Originally Posted by gnaget
Essentially V and above for eco. Excludes Z for business.
As well as P in business excluded.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by gnaget
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...wupgrades.aspx

Essentially V and above for eco. Excludes Z for business.
Thanks. Not to keep harping, but don't want a bad mistake.

So does UA V = LH V? So UA V and above is safe?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Thanks. Not to keep harping, but don't want a bad mistake.

So does UA V = LH V? So UA V and above is safe?
Yes, across the pond UA=LH.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, across the pond UA=LH.
Thanks Oliver!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you will be directed to the LH lounge (which is not an FCL); see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html

Not my recent experience. My last 4 out of IAD I've been allowed into the UA F lounge...a year ago it was more of a problem. Will try again next week and report back
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
[B]

Not my recent experience. My last 4 out of IAD I've been allowed into the UA F lounge...a year ago it was more of a problem. Will try again next week and report back
I agree it is not a problem- however I would suggest the Senator lounge anyway as it has direct boarding to the aircraft from the lounge which is a better benefit.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I agree it is not a problem- however I would suggest the Senator lounge anyway as it has direct boarding to the aircraft from the lounge which is a better benefit.
But it doesn't have self-serve Veuve
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ironmanjt

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you will be directed to the LH lounge (which is not an FCL); see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html

This has been confirmed by UA Insider to be false

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

I'll pass this along to get updated on our website, but I wanted to confirm for you the current United Global First Lounge guest policy.

• Customers traveling in United Global First may access the relevant United Global First lounge, and bring one guest.
  • Access for Global Services customers traveling in United BusinessFirst is for the customer only--no guests.

Keep in mind the above is always subject to change and what you see written here may be superceded at some later point in time .

Finally, regarding mherdegpost about the IAD GFL limited access to "United metal" only, we have no such policy. Access is the same as any other GFL, and we've followed up since to ensure consistent execution.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:02 am

Experience using GPU's with Lufthansa

I have an upcoming flight from Europe using Lufthansa, I was wondering what people's experience was attempting to upgrade using a physical GPU voucher that United sends you..

Also, if there happens to be no space available in Business class, how straightforward it is to get the GPU re-deposited into the account..

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Many LH agents don't really understand how to do it but there is usually at least one at the gate who can handle it properly.

Good luck.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA, AS
There is a thread on how to do this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-process.html
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I hope attempting to use a PGPU on BAH-FRA will go smoothly next week, especially at check-in. It's also a same flight # one stop via DOH. We shall see!

Anyone have experience?
The agent made a comment about making sure it was in the right booking class, called to check on the meals and processed the upgrade like he had done it a million times.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I've got an upcoming flight on LH in Y.

What is the cheapest fare class that is available for upgrade using the LH GPU certificate?

It's also possible to call LH (it's a LH stock ticket) for them to upgrade one particular segment of the trip to that fare class, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.