Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by acader
I have two old style paper certificates that I would like my wife to use. She is traveling BLR - FRA - EWR on business class. Want her to upgrade to first. I'm not traveling with her, she has no * status and the paper certificates have my name printed on them. Can she use these certificates to upgrade?
Yes
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Originally Posted by points_maniac
Yes
Thanks. I called MPSC and they say that I have to send the certificates back to them to have my wife's name printed on the certificate and then re-issued. That cannot happen because my wife is already in BLR with the certificate. The GPU upgrade on LH used to be quite easy, I cannot believe that they've made it so complicated. And as always, MSPC reps give different answers each time I call them.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
The old style certificates have the issuing account holder name, not the traveler name. Now, you never know what ground crew knows and does, especially in BLR, but technically they should work.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
There should be a term on the certificate that it is transferrable? You can have her point that out if they give any trouble. Hopefully she has same last name?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Details for GPU upgrades on LH, heading to Africa

I have read others comments on using United paper upgrades on LH. My wife now has 4 paper upgrades in hand to fly from Omaha on UA to Ord for LH to FRA and on to Africa, then back on LH via FRA to Houston for final UA to Omaha. She is flying on V fares.
She has a 3 hour layover at ORD and from what LH advised the first opportunity to submit upgrade is the LH transit counter at the International terminal. Does anyone know where this transit counter is located? Does LH have a lounge at ORD in the International terminal to submit upgrade? Will submitting upgrade to LH about 2 1/2 hours prior to flight be sufficient if space is available? She does not require a special meal.
At FRA she has 7 hours which should be plently of time. Is it best to submit at a LH lounge?

If she arrives in FRA in business class from upgrade does this allow her to enter the LH business class lounge vs Senate??? lounge for star gold, she is a 1K. If so what are the business class lounge options at FRA.

Finally, departing Africa (JNB) how early should she check in with LH to submit upgrade for a 7pm flight? She has a 4 hour and 20 min connection at FRA which will be covered by questions above.

This is first use of LH paper upgrades so we appreciate tips from the pros.

As a side note, when I called LH with questions the agent admitted she knew very little about using United upgrades on LH and nothing on the LH web site.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:14 pm
GeP

Originally Posted by OmahaUnitedMM
She has a 3 hour layover at ORD and from what LH advised the first opportunity to submit upgrade is the LH transit counter at the International terminal. Does anyone know where this transit counter is located?
Your wife will never even enter the international terminal. Unless something has hanged quite recently (and the ORD website does not indicates so), LH flights arrive there, but depart from Terminal 1.

It might be best, if not necessary, for her to leave the secure area and proceed to the LH checkin.

Does LH have a lounge at ORD in the International terminal to submit upgrade?
No.

Will submitting upgrade to LH about 2 1/2 hours prior to flight be sufficient if space is available? She does not require a special meal.
That ought to work, given space (and enough meals loaded).

At FRA she has 7 hours which should be plently of time. Is it best to submit at a LH lounge?
Yes, I'd choose that over a transfer counter. Any other option would require immigration into and emigration from Germany.

If she arrives in FRA in business class from upgrade does this allow her to enter the LH business class lounge vs Senate??? lounge for star gold, she is a 1K. If so what are the business class lounge options at FRA.
Why would she want to use the business class lounge when the lounge she can use as a 1K / Star Alliance Gold member is actually better?

Finally, departing Africa (JNB) how early should she check in with LH to submit upgrade for a 7pm flight?
When checkin opens.

(Several questions like lounge availability you can easily research on lufthansa.com.)
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Disappearing LH leg post-UA mileage upgrade

Hi all,

Flights: EWR to FRA on UA connecting to FRA-UAH on LH and the same LH to UA return.

Booked: B class

I've used GPU's to upgrade LH before, with mixed success. I burned my last ones, so I'm trying miles to upgrade the whole thing. Neither UA flight has cleared as of yet, but I'm waitlisted.

I read all the rules prior to booking and was careful to ensure that I got a fare that was upgradeable on LH. I booked online, which, of course, gave me UA flight numbers for the LH flights. I tried to do the star alliance upgrade online, but got error messages. When I phoned 1K I was transferred to a seemingly VERY knowledgable (star alliance desk) agent who said that the error was because my LH flights had UA codeshare flight numbers. Since I was within the 24 hour window, she said she needed to rebook directly with LH for those two FRA-AUH-FRA segments. The price came out the same and she did so. She then went in unprompted and helped with seats (nice) and then also requested my LH upgrades. The AUH to FRA was available and she confirmed that. The first LH flight is as of yet available.

Upon putting through the mileage upgrade, she warned me that since my ticket was now partially UA and partially LH, once the upgrade cleared, it would no longer show up on the UA site. Sure enough-no sign of that whole leg. It just appears as EWR-FRA-AUH and FRA-EWR. She also warned that many UA 1K agents would think it was an error, but it's not and that we just need to go to the LH site to view the upgraded LH legs. She also warned that if I wasn't careful in explaining it to them, they would re-ticket the whole thing and my upgrade(s) would be lost. I verified that it does exist (correctly upgraded) on the LH site under the LH confirmation number.

But I find this strange. Despite the fact that the agent went above and beyond and SOUNDED like she really knew her stuff (and was a nice as could be), I don't quite understand why I can no longer see this segment via UA. Will this cause any issues in checking baggage all the way through? Does anyone have any experience with this or thoughts on whether or not I have anything to be concerned about? I'm worried that perhaps this agent knew a few too many tricks....and that it may cause issues later on that others (at check-in, etc.) may not understand.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

(sidenote-seems like a good season for upgrades. Sept: EWR to DEL GPU cleared a month out, Oct: BKK-NRT-EWR offered $750 to upgrade the whole lot-accepted, late Oct: mentioned above (1 of 4 cleared), Nov: EWR-FRA-EWR GPU already cleared!)

Last edited by ecosse3; Aug 26, 2013 at 9:34 pm
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ask for the LH Amadeus record locator or check your ticket number on http://www.bookonline.saudiairlines.com/ (manage my booking - ticket number) which uses the amadeus ticket server and will display 016 tickets on LH.

You will be fine.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
First timer, U/G FRA-IAH, Saturday

Greetings,
Traveling to Europe soon (Poland) and am trying to figure out my chances to return back to Houston on LH using the new GPU certificate.
So here are the details:

Oct 25, Friday, KRK - FRA. Overnight in FRA.
Oct 26, Saturday, LH 440, FRA - IAH, V class. I plan on Checking in in FRA airport the day of the flight at 6:30AM which will give me 3:30 hours prior to the flight to make sure I increase my chances.

There's a later flight operated by UA which an U/G may clear based on my 1K status, but I was hoping to experience the LH service in Business first hand, and of course make it early to see my kids.

my questions:

1. Since LH will probably check me in all the way through to IAH when in
KRK, Can I request the the U/G when i land in FRA Friday eve?
2. I assume that Saturday is not a very busy day while considering C
availability- is that true?
3. Is there a chance that seats will be available but no U/G will be
granted?

Thank you in advance,
R
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Once you land in FRA on Friday, go to the next lounge or transfer desk and ask to be put on the grading list. No need to show up at 6.30am. The FM will process the list chronologically, so earlier you list, the better. To check if LH440/26OCT has space in C for upgrades, head over to this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ds-thread.html
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Once you land in FRA on Friday, go to the next lounge or transfer desk and ask to be put on the grading list. No need to show up at 6.30am. The FM will process the list chronologically, so earlier you list, the better. To check if LH440/26OCT has space in C for upgrades, head over to this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ds-thread.html
Thank you!
What class does UA GPU's clear into LH metal flights? (I know that I'd be looking for R if it was a UA flight).
Also, can I redeposit the GPU (do I need to send it back) if the upgrade doesn't clear?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by rebech34
What class does UA GPU's clear into LH metal flights? (I know that I'd be looking for R if it was a UA flight).
Also, can I redeposit the GPU (do I need to send it back) if the upgrade doesn't clear?
Usually I, but once the flight goes into airport control, the FM can use any booking class (usually C if I is not open),
Yes, you have to mail the paper GPU to UA MP.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Usually I, but once the flight goes into airport control, the FM can use any booking class (usually C if I is not open),
Yes, you have to mail the paper GPU to UA MP.
And one more question (just to verify) - I can apply the GPU on that flight even if it is a UA flight number but LH metal, right?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by rebech34
And one more question (just to verify) - I can apply the GPU on that flight even if it is a UA flight number but LH metal, right?
You should be able to.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:56 pm

Last Minutes Upgrade - No Certificate

Are there any possibilities to secure an LH upgrade from Business to First last minute on a UA codeshare ticket without any LH certificate? I'm Star Gold, UA Global Services. I assume that counts for nothing in this context. Flight is GYD to FRA. Appreciate any insight into possibilities and strategies. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.