Lufthansa / United Code Share - how to upgrade with Star Alliance?

Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa / United Code Share - how to upgrade with Star Alliance?

Need some advice please...on a Lufthansa flight (Doha-Frankfurt-Houston) that's a United codeshare. I'm United gold member and want to upgrade via Star Alliance. I called and they said to have the ticket reissued as Lufthansa, not United, but I'm not allowed to because of the government rules (foreign carriers). Any ideas on how to upgrade on a Lufthansa flight, using Star Alliance / United miles without the run around? Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by RobF15
Need some advice please...on a Lufthansa flight (Doha-Frankfurt-Houston) that's a United codeshare. I'm United gold member and want to upgrade via Star Alliance. I called and they said to have the ticket reissued as Lufthansa, not United, but I'm not allowed to because of the government rules (foreign carriers). Any ideas on how to upgrade on a Lufthansa flight, using Star Alliance / United miles without the run around? Thanks!
who did you book your ticket through? I think though your gov't rules will trump program benefits.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
If you want to upgrade via UA, you can see your options here:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...rade/saua.aspx

According to the website above, codeshare flights are not eligible. So they would have to be booked as LH flights in order for you to be able to upgrade them using UA MP
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I'm a gov't traveller too -- unfortunately, there's no way around this.

I even discussed with Star Alliance folks at the Megado, and they acknowledged this. It's an inadvertent side effect of the way they are processed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.